• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: World of Demons

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm 10 missions into Super Robot Wars X now. It's a bit disconcerting at first, coming to it straight off V (which is also available in English through the same channel). The shift to a high-fantasy style rather than sci-fi for the framing story (and the UI) feels odd for an SRW game, but probably fits better with the selection of licenses they've used this time around. It also took me a bit longer to warm to than V, because while V starts with a run of 10 or so missions based on Yamato 2199 (giving a pretty strong initial plot foundation), X jumps straight into the Wataru stuff - a very old kids' show I'd never seen (or even heard of until it was announced for this game).

That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying it after 10 missions and am happily throwing around Gundams, Aura Battlers, Paramails (Villkiss is still overpowered) and those strange mini-mecha from Wataru.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
A little extra info: I'm super excited about the announcement of the updated port of SaGa: Scarlet Grace coming overseas. Yay! : D

Super Robot Wars X:

Quote:
New to this installment are Buddy Complex, Nadia, and Wataru

Interesting coincidence. I finished watching the entirety of Nadia not too long ago. Still, the series didn't have much in the way of giant robots. It did have a spoiler[fully powered submarine spaceship] though. Hopefully, if Nadia herself is in it, she's not going to be her usual annoying self.

Rogueywon wrote:
X jumps straight into the Wataru stuff - a very old kids' show I'd never seen (or even heard of until it was announced for this game).

I have the first Wataru TV series boxset (albeit with poor English subtitles). It's definitely a silly shōnen adventure with a dorky plot, but it's good for a laugh with its randomness.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Interesting coincidence. I finished watching the entirety of Nadia not too long ago. Still, the series didn't have much in the way of giant robots. It did have a spoiler[fully powered submarine spaceship] though. Hopefully, if Nadia herself is in it, she's not going to be her usual annoying self.

The series had its first "no-mecha" franchise appear in V - Yamato 2199. It was well received, so they've used Nadia on the same basis in X - capital-ships and vehicles only. If they're going to include more "no mecha" franchises going forwards, then it opens up a whole range of new possibilities for the series and an opportunity to get away from the standard Gundam/Mazinger stuff a bit.

Nadia herself is in X. She is (so far) annoying.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
The series had its first "no-mecha" franchise appear in V - Yamato 2199. It was well received, so they've used Nadia on the same basis in X - capital-ships and vehicles only. If they're going to include more "no mecha" franchises going forwards, then it opens up a whole range of new possibilities for the series and an opportunity to get away from the standard Gundam/Mazinger stuff a bit.

Nadia herself is in X. She is (so far) annoying.

Since that's the case, I imagine Grandis, Sanson, Hanson, and the Gratan are set to appear, though the Gratan is way too small to be of much help in battle spoiler[(well not completely, but it got busted up a lot, a recurring running gag in the anime)].

Let me guess, she's calling everyone beasts and animals for fighting each other.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Since that's the case, I imagine Grandis, Sanson, Hanson, and the Gratan are set to appear, though the Gratan is way too small to be of much help in battle spoiler[(well not completely, but it got busted up a lot, a recurring running gag in the anime)].

Let me guess, she's calling everyone beasts and animals for fighting each other.

Yeah, spoiler[you get the Gratan in mission 4 or so. It's heavily armored and its close range attack packs a wallop, but poor speed and range mean it's very much a low-tier unit.]

Nadia is indeed calling everyone beasts and animals for fighting each other. The other characters have commented that she's even grumpier than Ange (of Cross Ange fame). That takes some doing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel like nobody was talking about that game…

Apparently removing such things as the time limit was a sticking point for some people even though it was one of the most annoying aspects of the game.

Quote:
That way people who want it can get it, and the people who don't want it can steer clear.

You can look at the cover and see it's not going to be your cup of tea especially if you don't like "animay inspired game's" or ones where most of the cast are high school age girls.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say I was dismissive when I heard Platinum was doing a mobile game, but World of Demons looks pretty cool.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, I've had the first Legend of the Dark Witch on my 3DS (as well as the Zizou theme) since the game first came out for it and have never actually started playing it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
Yeah, spoiler[you get the Gratan in mission 4 or so. It's heavily armored and its close range attack packs a wallop, but poor speed and range mean it's very much a low-tier unit.]

Poor Hanson, it would pain him to hear that. XD

Quote:
Nadia is indeed calling everyone beasts and animals for fighting each other. The other characters have commented that she's even grumpier than Ange (of Cross Ange fame). That takes some doing.

Lovely. I guess it's to be expected from her.
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the Cosmic Star Heroine mention!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear there's still more Dark Witch stuff coming. I've been playing the Brave Dungeon spin-off, which is a very good to-the-point ultra fast dungeon crawler, so I'm down for more experiments.

Legend of Dark Witch 3 is a bit weird, in that the stage design is very good, possibly the best it's ever been, but they went and removed so much stuff from the previous titles (even the weapons you got from bosses!!) it can't help but feel like two steps back. That said, it is to the series' credit that I'd still say the game is worth getting and I hope there's 15 of these things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1