• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Otaku Mode Company Confirms Restructuring, Co-founder Tomohide Kamei Still With Company

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
The American TOM is a good effort, and, well, if you happen to live in the US thus having cheap shipping/no custom fees I don't doubt it may be affordable to you.

However, for people elsewhere it's always been cheaper to turn to the online Japanese retailers with English interfaces(think cdjapan, hobby search etc) for any merch TOM might have had. By the time shipping is added and customs paid, it 'might' reach whatever price TOM had displayed for a particular product... Same issue with the rest of the English stores, j-list, crunchy store and so on.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about the reasoning for the restructure. What benefit would it give them by switching their parent company to Japan? I assume it has something to do with taxes, but with the way American politics are going, they may get hit with tariffs in the future, now that they are a Japanese company.
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Probably a tax-related thing. Foreign customs can be a pain sometimes. So it's like they started back to zero but kept everything in place.

As for Otaku coin, I don't know. Still having doubts of that could work.
CR85747

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:04 am Reply with quote
There really should be a conflict of interest thing on the article, as TOM sponsors ANN's merchandising coverage.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
ANN, they also changed their English website layout: www.otakumode.com

Honestly, it looks a lot better. Easier to navigate and not an endless scroll of banners and pop-ups of their point-based currency system. I got an email about their crane game promotion a few days ago. Anyone else tried it?
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:

Honestly, it looks a lot better. Easier to navigate and not an endless scroll of banners and pop-ups of their point-based currency system. I got an email about their crane game promotion a few days ago. Anyone else tried it?

Sadly the crane game is really bad. The delay in using it (since it's in Japan) makes it basically impossible to get anything. Also you can't use mobile to do it and have to do it from a PC. They still have the best reward points in the business though.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Coin still sounds like a scam tho.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:

Sadly the crane game is really bad. The delay in using it (since it's in Japan) makes it basically impossible to get anything. Also you can't use mobile to do it and have to do it from a PC. They still have the best reward points in the business though.

I used up all my Friday free plays, and I think the delay you mention is real. The other problem is the rule where you only get one move per direction and you don't have the option of positioning the claw, plus the delay, equals you having almost no chance without spending (and spamming) your own currency. Of course, that is the point, isn't it? Wink

It is a neat idea, but just another My Dream Girlfriend IMO.
KittyEponine
ANN Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Otaku Coin still sounds like a scam tho.

Even when they started promoting this thing with the help of popular anime Youtube bloggers like Akidearest, there's a feeling that something is really off. Cryptocurrency in general isn't really stable since its value may rise and fall in an unexpected time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1