• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Devilman: The Classic Collection GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
I'll quote myself from what I'd written in the "North American Anime, Manga Releases, May 20-26 [2018-05-22]"
thread:

Coup d'État wrote:
I'm very confused about the Devilman book. I expected it to be basically the same as my French version, but there are a lot of differences. Right off, the first 42 pages don't exist in the French version. The same is true vor p. 258-268. However, instead of those, there are ~30 different pages in the French version that the English one doesn't have.

p. 448 aligns with the first page of vol. 3, but stuff seems to be mixed around a lot, and from chapter 6 (p534) onwards, nothing of the Seven Seas version exists in the entire 5 vol. French run.

This is wild. I knew Devilman had different Print-runs in Japan, but it's like I have 2 entirely different versions of the story. The pages that are 'missing' in the French version seem newer in style, so my best guess is that they were added later?

Both versions claim to have been published in 1972 originally, but that is obviously not right.

They did not just add those time travel chapters, they changed the whole structure around, both adding and dropping pages. I felt they were super out-of place and didn't belong, and their style was obviously younger than the material I knew. I didn't really like it, though additional color pages are always welcome.

Some of the material hasn't aged too well. I'm not sure why I can so easily overlook this with Devilman, when I can't with other series.
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
The time travel chapters are actually from the sequel (midquel?) series Shin Devilman. Which, I think their inclusion ruins a lot about the original Devilman. Shin Devilman is just bad (though not as bad as Devilman Lady) and ruins the pacing of the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:17 am Reply with quote
Wikipedia has this to say about the changes:

Quote:
Starting with the 1987 publishing, most Kodansha editions include Shin Devilman, which originally was not meant to be included in the canon of the original series, as a part of the volumes.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Seven Seas' release of Devilman is based on the four-volume Deluxe Edition releases of the series.

The Devilman fan wiki has a good rundown of the various differences between three of the main Japanese editions: http://devilman.wikia.com/wiki/Editions_of_Devilman
moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
This is wild. I knew Devilman had different Print-runs in Japan, but it's like I have 2 entirely different versions of the story. The pages that are 'missing' in the French version seem newer in style, so my best guess is that they were added later?

Here's a list of differences between the various Japanese editions of Devilman: http://devilman.wikia.com/wiki/Editions_of_Devilman

Just FYI, the 2015 French release by Black Box is based on the 2012 Italian release by J-Pop, which in turn is based on the 2009 bunkobon. J-Pop also published a beautiful omnibus last year, which should be based on the 2012 Revised Edition, since it has some extra color pages as well as some retouched/redrawn panels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBa74V2djnk (NSFW warning)
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, adam_omega and moff.

I don't have that release, I have the 1999 version from Dynamic Visions. It seems to simply follow the original version.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that the reviewer didn't contrast the toxic masculinity element with Crybaby, which makes Akira's empathy the most defining element of his character.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they didn't change stuff because it hasn't aged well with the current sensibilities.Gotta respect that.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Why would they change stuff? & anyway the Toei TV series from 1973 changed it so Akira was a hotheaded delinquent who Miki tried to slap straight, so to speak; so it's not like wrestling with some of Go Nagai's...Nagaiisms is a new thing.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Why would they change stuff?

We're not talking about "new" stuff, this is material that the author created in 1979.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
Why would they change stuff?

We're not talking about "new" stuff, this is material that the author created in 1979.

Was responding to the post above mine (& hence assumed I wouldn't need to quote it).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Was responding to the post above mine (& hence assumed I wouldn't need to quote it).

Gotcha.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not gonna mince words, Nagai's works haven't really aged that well. He's definitely influential, but a lot of creators have since surpassed him while dealing with similar subject matter such as Kentaro Miura, Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Hiroaki Samura, Kouta Hirano, and countless others. His works are more historically important than anything
kae kurono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
How is Some uncomfortable themes and stories, a minus or a con? *that* is one of the main appeal that made the devil man manga such a classic story that strongly resonates with readers or fans of the work & why it has had so many re-releases what a odd critique from the reviewer.
wintersun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
kae kurono wrote:
How is Some uncomfortable themes and stories, a minus or a con? *that* is one of the main appeal that made the devil man manga such a classic story that strongly resonates with readers or fans of the work & why it has had so many re-releases what a odd critique from the reviewer.

The review forget that not everything was written with an progressive mindset .This book is old and I understand somethings are not up to par anymore but we can not change history.

Only thing jarring is the cartoon style with the extreme violence but whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2