• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Omega Labyrinth Z Game's Western Release Cancelled

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
My sympathies to anyone who was looking forward to this. It's bad enough when a game you want doesn't get localized, but to make progress on a localization and have it shut down is worse.
Dukeduke3dd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about this game but why they can't make them college girls instead of high school
Teraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Dukeduke3dd wrote:
I don't care about this game but why they can't make them college girls instead of high school

They're not in high school because they're not real.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
First time learning of this game and given from what I have read about how the game works it's not something I would be so interested in. The summery of the story however has gotten my attention as it does seem to touch on something adolescent girls tend to deal with generally speaking according to Psychology, but it does not appear I would be experiencing that. Anyway, I am thinking that if they are having this much trouble releasing the game on Playstation 4 in Europe and North America they could just try to go for a Steam release since at least the website has stated that they would not ban games due to their content but instead would be labeled as a mature game. I am not too familiar with the gaming industry to know if this would work, but it's one idea.

I feel sorry for those who were looking forward to the release of this game, and there does not seem to be an English patch to use for emulation at the present either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
Dukeduke3dd wrote:

They're not in high school because they're not real.

You must be fun at parties. Also that's such a non response, the person wants characters that are made to be college age and more mature than high school in terms of looks, plus maybe in personality. Regardless of what's real and not real that does not change the fact that some people are uncomfortable with characters in these games being set at a young age and sexualized. It's easier to enjoy the sexual aspects in a story when the characters are of legal age for many people.

Additionally I'd like to say, people can get into the world of a story and invested emotionally, so simply writing off the things that make the viewer uncomfortable as non relevant because it's not "real" is in my opinion incredibly detached. I'd reserve that stance for legal debates and advocating for freedom of speech only. There are a lot of stories that are more interesting to get into when it feels real and the author can get under the skin of their audience.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
And nothing of value was lost.
Teraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:

Except the hundreds of thousands of dollars that PQube likely sunk into the localization that was mere weeks from release.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Dukeduke3dd wrote:

Because they don't want to? Developers make the game they want and release it. It's the same answer when people ask why anime takes place in High school. Creators could have made them adults but they didn't. Their game, their choice.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
This is depressing. Seriously, screw western society and its overly prudent ways.
Dukeduke3dd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Dukeduke3dd wrote:

Because they don't want to? Developers make the game they want and release it. It's the same answer when people ask why anime takes place in High school. Creators could have made them adults but they didn't. Their game, their choice.
but why high school girls, you could done the same thing with college age girls or with guys, I’m just asking
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
And this is the same company who gave us 2 Gal Gun games and Valkyrie Drive with not much trouble. But you can count me as someone who looked forward to playing this in English.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
IanC wrote:

Except the hundreds of thousands of dollars that PQube likely sunk into the localization that was mere weeks from release.
Indeed, just ask the translator of the game.
Quote:
It is with much regret that I bring this news. Omega Labyrinth Z was probably one of the most fun game scripts I ever worked on, so it's upsetting to know it won't see the light of day. I don't hold PQube accountable for this, it's just an unfortunate set of circumstances.
This situation absolutely sucks. Still a bit surprised to see Sony's branches outside of Japan deny what was going to be a niche game. This is likely now going to bring even more attention to the game than it otherwise would have gotten, similar to what happened when Team Ninja and Koei Tecmo decided to release Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 in Japan and Asia only, and attached reasons other than likely low sales of Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The article says the UK rating board denied them...so why cancel the release in the US too? Sony's not the one denying them since the game already exists on their console in Japan so they probably wouldn't care and would have told them not to bother a long time ago, it's not like this localization was a secret.
Teraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Sony's not the one denying them since the game already exists on their console in Japan

Sony of America, Sony of Europe, and Sony of Japan are different entities.
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Sony's not the one denying them since the game already exists on their console in Japan so they probably wouldn't care

Directly from their statement:
Quote:
PQube must respectfully comply with the wishes of the platform holder and have therefore withdrawn any future plans for Omega Labyrinth Z's European and North American release on PS4 and PS Vita.

Sony Japan may not care, but clearly other branches do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3