• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Threatens Shooting at Anime Expo, Authorities Notified

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Yikes! Stay safe everyone!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
If the guy had issues with anime and the people enjoying them, then guess what? He was under no obligation to partake in the fandom or any of its conventions. If you're going to start resorting to pre-meditated murder just because what people are enjoying at no personal expense to you is a transgression, then that speaks more about you and your condition than anything.
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:
All the more reason why the US needs gun control.
No wonder why there are soo many shootings there

You would think that after the events of Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, Parkland and recently, Annapolis but nope!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
What a creep. People have been waiting a long time to attend AX and they don't need a screwball ruining it for them, especially if this is their first anime convention. Take your personal issues somewhere else, Rodriguez, and lose the attitude problem.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Grubbs stated that he met Rodriguez in 2012, and believes that his temperament is tied to failed romantic relationships and that he engages in "bizarre behavior" in order to obtain attention.

Yes, cause breakups mean you need to do things like that... How do parents raise children like these without noticing how screwed up and dangerous they are becoming?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

Ugh, no. Do we have to get into this debate here?
Surf_rock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

Ugh, no. Do we have to get into this debate here?

Talking about gun control under an article about potential shooting? Preposterous!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope this kid's been arrested.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Surf_rock wrote:
Talking about gun control under an article about potential shooting? Preposterous!

There are many people, such as myself, who believe that guns are not the problem, but rather that we, as a society, don't address the problems that mental illness can create. Instead of getting help for those that need it, we close mental health facilities and look down on those that need help. Even if guns sales were even more restrictive than they are now, there are so many guns out there that anyone with the funds to buy one can get one. Expecting people to voluntarily give them up will never happen, nor will punishing people for owning one ever happen thanks to the Second Amendment.

In this case, with the text's references to his therapist, it looks like the potential shooter was mentally unstable and in need of psychiatric help.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I feel that before going into the standard issue gun control debate, people should maybe take note that there is no actual information that, despite making threats, he had owned or had access to any firearms. (Though that could change as more information becomes available).
RedZ1900

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
MsVitchDaSecond wrote:

You want to talk gun control? Tell me what you would add to California's already strict gun control laws.
Surf_rock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Surf_rock wrote:

There are many people, such as myself, who believe that guns are not the problem, but rather that we, as a society, don't address the problems that mental illness can create. Instead of getting help for those that need it, we close mental health facilities and look down on those that need help. Even if guns sales were even more restrictive than they are now, there are so many guns out there that anyone with the funds to buy one can get one. Expecting people to voluntarily give them up will never happen, nor will punishing people for owning one ever happen thanks to the Second Amendment.

In this case, with the text's references to his therapist, it looks like the potential shooter was mentally unstable and in need of psychiatric help.

Agree with you on all points. As a person who lives in a country where mass shootings akin to those in the US don't happen at all, i sure hope things change for the better.

I'm not sure if this guy is mentally unstable or just too rash with his words, though. This label of "mentally unstable" (a lot of violent criminals just lack empathy) is thrown around a lot nowadays, again, in the case of my country you can get away scot-free just pretending to be a tad bit "unstable". Anyway, this will be looked into.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Surf_rock wrote:

While I'm a bit uncertain what my stances exactly are on gun control, I can fully agree about mental health. Society uses so many things as a scapegoat for mental problems, video games, anime, music, movies, tv, books, many other things. Instead of focusing on trying to help everyone sort out the crap in their heads.

On of my favorite quotes is from Marilyn Manson when he was interviewed after the Columbine Shooting. He was asked what would you say to the children? He responded along the lines of, I wouldn't say anything instead I would listen, because they need someone that's willing to listen to them.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Dude needs to put away the 90s clothes and grow up.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Dude needs to put away the 90s clothes and grow up.

I was going to post a comment about how CA is one of the most restrictive states in the US for guns... but you sir had me rolling... you win all the internetz for today.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Actually on a more serious note... I'll ask the Mods why they are posting this guys picture at all? One of the reasons why Mass Shootings keep happening is the instant fame that the Media grants them. Doing this continues this cycle.. and while he hasn't done anything at this point... I see no reason to grant this guy his 15 min of fame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5