• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fandango Lists Fathom Events Screenings of Perfect Blue Film in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
「あなた、誰なの?」

10th is probably more doable for me than the 6th.
Xe4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm... wonder who has the rights. Last I heard the US rights were in limbo. That it's getting a release in theaters despite being so old is a bit strange... so maybe GKids? Or Funi?

Any news on that front?

Last edited by Xe4 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:18 am Reply with quote
Only crazy people watch Perfect Blue in the theaters because it's a CRAZY movie.
K7P5V

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
Perfect Blue is one of my favorite movies. I hope it will do well at the box office. Maybe someday the creators could make a sequel.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
Xe4 wrote:
Hmm... wonder who has the rights. Last I heard the US rights were in limbo. That it's getting a release in theaters dispite being so old is a bit strange... so maybe GKids? Or Funi?

Any news on that front?

Oh my goodness, I hope it's GKids!
They'll treat the film right!
Other than them, best choice would be Funi or maybe even Sentai.
Don't know how well Discotek is in position to get this...
I'm amazed none of the "film connoisseur labels" like Criterion or even a cult shop like Arrow Films haven't tried to option those films. They would be up their alley as far as mentality goes. People have forgotten Criterion released Akira on laserdisc over 25 years ago! There were extras on that release (courtesy of the late Carl Macek who owned quite a bit of that film's production art) that haven't been ported on later releases of Akira. If they actually dug in deep and got release materials and perhaps spots or interviews with Kon around the time he made his earlier films ---!

I'm surprised the "lost films" of Satoshi Kon haven't been relicensed -- Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress.
Perfect Blue is probably my favorite film of his followed by Paprika. Millennium Actress is also beautiful. Most of his films need a serious remaster to bring them up to hi-def spec because past DVD and BD releases were not representative of what home video is capable of -- ie, they looked worn and the colors were desaturated/too white.
Tokyo Godfathers is available on BD-R through Sony America (online) or through import where the BD is open like the UK Metropolis was.... There is supposedly a subtitle timing issue with the import BD of Tokyo Godfathers, unfortunately. It is priced relatively reasonable (about $25).
There's always a possibility Sony could sublicense Tokyo Godfathers and another company will do a decent release of the film on pressed BD. It's happened with Metropolis and Mill Creek with an upcoming Steelcase edition of Metropolis and the earlier mass-market Wally World exclusive BD of Metropolis (which has not sold a copy at my local WM to my knowledge!).
There was/is a UK BD edition of Perfect Blue but it's unfortunately locked (Region B) and you need a modded player or decryptor to play it on US machines/PCs. Not bothering with it... I think Perfect Blue will be re-licensed someday for the US.
Paprika as far as I know is still in print. I see copies of it on BD and DVD all these years later at Barnes & Noble.
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:12 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Only crazy people watch Perfect Blue in the theaters because it's a CRAZY movie.

You mean crazy good.One of the better movies that should be seen on the big screen.I would love see this again on the big.I saw this on the big screen in NYC when it first was released here in america.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
Going by this site, all signs point to GKids. There is even a countdown to something, which stands at a little over 6 days. The newsletter sign up appears to direct to GKids.

https://mimasroom.com
loveliver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
Xe4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
Well, as confirmed as rumors ever will be that is. It ain't official until GKids or Fathom announces it, but it's pretty damn likely at the moment, me thinks.

Heh, I was sorta right. I figured it would be one of the two. Only GKids and Funi bother to run films like this in theaters.

Even if it's just theatrical rights, what a damn catch for GKids, dang.

GeorgeC wrote:

Oh my goodness, I hope it's GKids!
They'll treat the film right!
Other than them, best choice would be Funi or maybe even Sentai.
Don't know how well Discotek is in position to get this...
I'm amazed none of the "film connoisseur labels" like Criterion or even a cult shop like Arrow Films haven't tried to option those films. They would be up their alley as far as mentality goes. People have forgotten Criterion released Akira on laserdisc over 25 years ago! There were extras on that release (courtesy of the late Carl Macek who owned quite a bit of that film's production art) that haven't been ported on later releases of Akira. If they actually dug in deep and got release materials and perhaps spots or interviews with Kon around the time he made his earlier films ---!

I'm surprised the "lost films" of Satoshi Kon haven't been relicensed -- Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress.
Perfect Blue is probably my favorite film of his followed by Paprika. Millennium Actress is also beautiful. Most of his films need a serious remaster to bring them up to hi-def spec because past DVD and BD releases were not representative of what home video is capable of -- ie, they looked worn and the colors were desaturated/too white.
Tokyo Godfathers is available on BD-R through Sony America (online) or through import where the BD is open like the UK Metropolis was.... There is supposedly a subtitle timing issue with the import BD of Tokyo Godfathers, unfortunately. It is priced relatively reasonable (about $25).
There's always a possibility Sony could sublicense Tokyo Godfathers and another company will do a decent release of the film on pressed BD. It's happened with Metropolis and Mill Creek with an upcoming Steelcase edition of Metropolis and the earlier mass-market Wally World exclusive BD of Metropolis (which has not sold a copy at my local WM to my knowledge!).
There was/is a UK BD edition of Perfect Blue but it's unfortunately locked (Region B) and you need a modded player or decryptor to play it on US machines/PCs. Not bothering with it... I think Perfect Blue will be re-licensed someday for the US.
Paprika as far as I know is still in print. I see copies of it on BD and DVD all these years later at Barnes & Noble.

Yeah, now that its (probably) GKids, I'm pretty happy. They do a good job with their releases, and have a theatrical screening whenever they can, even if its just a 1 day thing for their smaller films.

I'm surprised the two Kon films haven't picked up, but I ain't surprised someone like Criterion hasn't. They've always come off a bit snobbish towards animated stuff, and aside from Akira on laserdisk, they hadn't had any animated films until the 2010s when they finally started to sip their toes in.

And yeah, Sony has Paprika. I know that for sure cause I own the film : p

Last edited by Xe4 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
GKIDS expressed interest in the film last year but said the rights weren't available. I'm glad that whatever the problem was cleared up, though it will be a bit strange seeing such a graphic film released under GKIDS. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
I always loved this film. My 16 year old niece soon to be 17 has a somewhat interest in this but I don't know if she's ready for some of the adult content of the film (some may remember the scene I'm referring aside from the brutal violence). But she was curious about the whole aspect behind the pop scene. She watches a lot of K-drama.

I hold this film at the top of Satoshi Kon's career and yet he wasn't crazy about it. Satoshi Kon like other's is one of those artist that doesn't ponder too much on a past film they've directed. They make them and they move on. But when asked if there was one film he'd remake it was 'Perfect Blue'. It was his debut and it's a very powerful piece that deserves a spot on anyone's shelf. Hell, definitely needs a BD release.

If this is being offered on the big screen people should go see it.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
For anyone who's seen this movie, how is the dub?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:

It wasn't awful. A bit stilted in some scenes and kinda weak emotionally but passable. JP really shows off the needed emotion, though.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
If GKids has the rights I wonder if they are going to Re-Dub it? Unless the original was sufficient. I have never seen the dub.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
I thought the actress playing Mimi was pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2