• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Premiere Report: Hi Score Girl at Otakon 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that from the turnout for the first episode, not many people were familiar with the culture of 90s arcades?

I personally got a real kick out of the first episode if only for its dead-on details about the obsession with 90s arcades from a youthful standpoint plus the gaming nostalgia in general.

Honestly, even if the games shown are 2-3 generations apart, it's worth watching if only to see how gamers interacted with them plus the growing relationship between Haruo and Akira.

P.S. The CGI of the anime never really bothered me. I thought it was handled quite well all things considered.
HameruIsCool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I've read up on the manga partially and am in love with it.

I am very confident that, despite the CG, it's pretty much the best love letter to gaming since Wreck-It Ralph. I kid you not.

Even without the gaming references, the chemistry between the characters is a leap above most other anime.

After hearing that it's coming to Netflix over here in December, I got disappointed because I really want more people to enjoy this series as soon as possible. I'd like Netflix to allow for something like simulcasts.

spoiler[#TeamOono]
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for going for that CGI look, we really wanted to recreate the feeling of being at a old school arcade. I don't know if any of you have bought a lot of the old consoles, so we wanted to recreate that experience. As a huge gamer myself, I wanted to bring something that I love, that experience, into the anime. We thought that was the only way we could do it. As you'll see, we use actual game screens in the anime and it fits really well with the GCI style in the series itself. So we're really happy with all it all came together.
It's nice to know that they did this for an artistic, and in some ways a plot, reason
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I was around six-seven when street fighter two hit the arcades so this series honestly has me intrigued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This 3DCG anime comedy dripping with 90s arcade lore from classics like Final Fight and Street Fighter II doesn't hit Netflix until December, but we've got all the details from the premiere at Otakon - with comments from the show's producers!

Final Fight came out in 1989, albeit December of that year, so it's not exactly "90s." Considering the series begins in 1991, it already would have been an "established" game in arcade circles, while Street Fighter II was just released.

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Did the official translation really use the term "waiting Guile" ??!
If so, I get the impression the fansubs may be better. They should've used "turtling" which is the official term in the fighting game scene--by Capcom, everyone else--and what is officially translated between Japanese and English for the games

Also when Akira Ono was fighting the last boss in the broken SF2 cabinet with the missing buttons, did they use Vega or Bison? and/or included a TL note?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
If so, I get the impression the fansubs may be better. They should've used "turtling" which is the official term in the fighting game scene--by Capcom, everyone else--and what is officially translated between Japanese and English for the games

Also when Akira Ono was fighting the last boss in the broken SF2 cabinet with the missing buttons, did they use Vega or Bison? and/or included a TL note?

Waiting Guile is a specific term for Guile players, and something of a meme in Japan. Turtling is a generic game term. It would kind of lose the joke if they used the generic turtling term for Waiting Guile.

-Stuart Smith
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Was that term used back in 1991? I don't recall anyone using that term until later in the 90s.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just hope Suzushiro will have the chance to showcase her talent more as this is her first credited role.

Not true. She's been in a few different anime in the past. She played her first named role in Gundam Build Divers as Lip. She's also voiced named characters in games.

https://www.artsvision.co.jp/talent/4472/

It's just that nobody bothered to put it in the encyclopedia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1