• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Manga Based On Original Anime Get Made?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who feels like this column seems familiar, it's a rerun of a column from January 3.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Slow news Day ANN????
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anyone remember the multiple manga versions of Escaflowne? Didn't think so.

I still have a complete set of the Escaflowne manga that Tokyopop published. And yeah, it's not that great, definitely not on the TV show's level, but it's not the worst thing I've ever read, either.

It's funny this topic came up, though, because just last week I was putting together a presentation for my anime club about the Fate franchise and the best starting points for newcomers, and I found out as I was researching that there was a Fate/Stay Night manga, which I'd never even heard about before. But apparently the manga is so bad that when I asked around about it, even people who hate Deen/Stay Night all agreed that it was still a better place to start than the manga.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember the Kill la Kill manga being only 3 volumes long and barely covered half the anime, if Udon's release of it was complete. I feel like someone dropped the ball there.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:

It's funny this topic came up, though, because just last week I was putting together a presentation for my anime club about the Fate franchise and the best starting points for newcomers, and I found out as I was researching that there was a Fate/Stay Night manga, which I'd never even heard about before. But apparently the manga is so bad that when I asked around about it, even people who hate Deen/Stay Night all agreed that it was still a better place to start than the manga.

Yikes... that really sounds bad.

I find myself mostly avoiding comic and manga adaptations of stuff, but I guess it also has to do with my alergy for spin offs, most of the time they seem redundant, unnecesary or even superflous.
There are always exception but as a general rule most feel just as a cash grab.

I am guessing the thing that helped Sadamoto's manga was not only his talent but the fact that he was able to take all the time he needed as slow as it was. Some artists work very nicely when given a european comic schedule and Sadamoto seems to be one of those for Eva Anime hyper

Now that I am thinking, does the remake rules also apply to manga adaptations? hmm.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I highly disagree on Gundam manga having to live up to high quality control standards. The best parts of Gundam are in manga form due to the endless remakes of the last decade and a half but there are the exception. I cleaned up about 100 MU and wikia entries for these, so i must know by now. It´s even fairly usual to have 2 concurrent series promote a recent anime entry. All sort of anime or LN to manga conversions do that and it´s a god way to spot the bad ones. The license holders clearly don´t care then and just flood the market.

The Eva manga is obviously an example that lived to it´s franchise. It´s frankly the better story and it technically launched the franchise a year before the main course. In the same way the 1976 Star Wars novelization did (look it up, it´s wild!). The classic shameful example of an anime to manga conversion is Cowboy Bebop. We got both a Shoujo and and Shounen manga to choose from to support my golden rule of competing trash.

@Hellfish I lived though Sadamoto´s EU comics schedule. Lol. The art doesn´t quite live up to those standards, almost no one does, but he at least never gave up on his work. Others though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1