• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Azur Lane Warship Girl Game Gets TV Anime by Grisaia Director, Studio

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:59 am Reply with quote
Bound to happen eventually, considering the popularity.
HK16

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
OMG! First a PS4 game, now it gets an anime (also manga). AL domination!!! Woo!!! Can't wait!
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:17 am Reply with quote
Sunrise animated the game trailer and looks so damn gorgeous so why not they're not the one adapting it? Well, maybe guess their services is just too expesnsive. Too bad, i want them to do this kind of job.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:32 am Reply with quote
Hoping they go the kancolle route and leave the commanders gender ambiguous.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
I have seen this all over the place for years and it is amazing that a non-Japanese series has gotten much attention of Japan enough to spawn several projects. And from the trailer, the anime is already looking good.

Random Name wrote:
Hoping they go the kancolle route and leave the commanders gender ambiguous.

Even better, do not be like Kancolle and just have it without the commander(s) or self-insert guy(s). Ambiguous gender is not going to do justice and Kancolle did that because it did not want to leave out either self-insert fans or yuri fans since it was a favorite for both sides. I can only hope that it does not pull off an Uma Musume down the line. If this becomes another self-insert anime, then that would be really devastating.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
That was to be expected but still , Oh yeah !
Can't wait for more News/PV and the utawarerumono characters too.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

Even better, do not be like Kancolle and just have it without the commander(s) or self-insert guy(s). Ambiguous gender is not going to do justice and Kancolle did that because it did not want to leave out either self-insert fans or yuri fans since it was a favorite for both sides. I can only hope that it does not pull off an Uma Musume down the line. If this becomes another self-insert anime, then that would be really devastating.

Rolling Eyes
The Commander didn't even show up in enough episodes to be that relevant in the overall series.

Stop overreacting.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
This has the potential to be pretty huge IF they don't follow the baffling footsteps KanColle took.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Apparently, "battleships anthropomorphized as cute anime girls" is now a genre unto itself. I don't really understand why this weirdly specific subcategory of moe-combat games is so massively popular, but I guess it's... mostly harmless?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:30 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Rolling Eyes
The Commander didn't even show up in enough episodes to be that relevant in the overall series.

Stop overreacting.

You apparently did not watch the whole anime. The "Commander" in Kancolle is called "Admiral", by the way, and he was pretty relevant enough to have an off-screen moment of his own and even has caught the affection of at least one shipgirl. Also, saying that the anime's admiral is gender-ambiguous sounds delusional. Even if you can customize the admiral to be a woman in the game, the whole series will always treat the admiral as a man, regardless of an ocean full of yuri fan works. It is the same ideal for FGO and GBF as their anime always pick the male MCs instead of the fan-preferred female MCs. In their minds, a tie-in anime for their game with a female protagonist will never generate profit. Indirectly, this is another sign of Japan's negative perception towards yuri and its fans.

darkchibi07 wrote:
This has the potential to be pretty huge IF they don't follow the baffling footsteps KanColle took.

Totally agree. Just do not make some self-insert mentor guy and everything will be fine. Definitely no ambiguous gender garbage just because you want the series to appeal to both sides. I would rather have a series being specific and favoring one side only. I would love to see Azur Lane be the Love Live to Kancolle's Idolmaster. Azur Lane and Love Live showing that a Girls Doing Things multimedia project can be a success without having the overused trope of some featureless generic male teacher guiding the girls.

kotomikun wrote:
Apparently, "battleships anthropomorphized as cute anime girls" is now a genre unto itself. I don't really understand why this weirdly specific subcategory of moe-combat games is so massively popular, but I guess it's... mostly harmless?

For starters, Japan and the rest of the world love cute anime girls. These kinds of works have cute anime girls do a particular subject in various ways and this idea somewhat helps people, or rather the otaku people, learn something about said particular subject. Examples are Girls und Panzer and High School Fleet where the girls operate tanks and ships, as well as other vehicles and machines. Another two are Kemono Friends and Azur Lane where the girls are respectively anthropomorphized with animals and ships and do activities that are naturally related to them.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

Not just battleships girl nor moe and even less "now", Anthropomorphism AKA Gijinka has been a massively popular genre for over 20 years, its origin comes mainly from Touhou and Os-Tan, since then the trend never stop and expand to every imaginable, turning them into both cute girls and cool boys, Touken Ranbu is a good exemple, it's popularity is as big than the most populars moe Anthropomorphism.
Lovable characters has always been one of the main selling point in the Otakulture and regardless of the gender you're looking for, the anthropomophize genre has always a multitude of them so there is no wonder why it's popular.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote
Great news. Honkai Impact 3rd anime when?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
Yep. More "gacha" BS games with paper-thin premise anime adaptations! Just what the anime industry needs! And this is directed by the guy who ruined Rewrite and Grisaia anime adaptation. Lololol.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
It's basically Kancolle except lacking one of the most important things that made me want to play Kancolle in the first place (not being a money pit). I do want to check out the PS4 game though, but I probably should skip the anime, well unless the PS4 game comes out beforehand somehow as I had enough with pay to enjoy games.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It's basically Kancolle except lacking one of the most important things that made me want to play Kancolle in the first place (not being a money pit).

How's Azur Lane a money pit? Gacha cubes flow like water & it spits out SSRs like no other game I know! Pretty much the only thing monetized in the game is alternate costumes!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2