• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Ulysses, Goblin Slayer, Senran Kagura, Radiant Anime to Fall Season Dub Lineup

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Cool, but I'm hoping for A Certain Magical Index S3 and Fairy Tail 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Any of you feel like funi is biting more then they can chew? Like when they changed maiyuri in steins gate. That was the worse btw. Stiens gates dub is pretty critically acclaimed. That's really jarring to switch such an A rank voice for a character. Also I hate how I hear the same 5 voice actors every anime. I know that's always been there but its been like 3 times as bad since the simuldubbing.Honestly, if dubsare gonna survive the next couple decades, there needs to be day 1 simuldubbing like space dandy. Then dubs will be more popular then subs again like in the 90's.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
there needs to be day 1 simuldubbing like space dandy. Then dubs will be more popular then subs again like in the 90's.
They would need to get the show in advance to do it like that, Space Dandy was most likely finished(or close to) in advance, in order to release it the same day as the Japanese broadcast. Dubs weren't more popular in the 90s, in fact they were pretty well hated amongst fans at the time, it was just a lot easier to get the dubbed version, especially for kids Anime.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
Any of you feel like funi is biting more then they can chew? Like when they changed maiyuri in steins gate. That was the worse btw. Stiens gates dub is pretty critically acclaimed. That's really jarring to switch such an A rank voice for a character. Also I hate how I hear the same 5 voice actors every anime.

They ran into scheduling conflicts with Attack on Titan; this wasn't some random flip-flopping of actresses or anything.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to Radiant! I feel like it's getting a decent amount of support, which is nice to see for a French series.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

I'm not sure about how the simuldub process works, but I don't think they can do a simuldub for Fairy Tail's final season without replacing some of their lead roles like Todd or Cherami, who've been doing work for other studios besides Funimation. FT Zero was different because it was only 12 episodes long, released side-by-side with the DVD release of the Tartaros arc, and had an almost entirely separate voice cast. This season could last longer than 60 episodes, depending on how many chapters are adapted per episode. That's a lot to ask from actors recording in two places at once.
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Now that they've announced Radiant and Goblin Slayer, Funimation got everything I wanted this season. Very Happy

Only other show I'm interested in is Conception, but given their relationship with Gonzo, I'm guessing they'll nab it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Levonr wrote:

I'm not sure about how the simuldub process works, but I don't think they can do a simuldub for Fairy Tail's final season without replacing some of their lead roles like Todd or Cherami, who've been doing work for other studios besides Funimation.

Why wouldn't they be available? They've both been in simdubs the past couple of seasons (Cherami is in Steins;Gate 0 and Todd was in TG Re:), besides there's a program (forgot what its called) that lets them record from LA and IIRC Todd has his own studio so he can just record his stuff and send it if he's not in Texas.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
@Punch Drunk Marc: that program is Source Connect.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Any bets on who theyll cast for Goblin Slayer especially GS himself?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
nice, and they stated they have more on the way as well. probably 4 more[/spoiler]
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Any bets on who theyll cast for Goblin Slayer especially GS himself?

Can't say for sure but I would like to hear:

Goblin Slayer: Rob McCollum or Ian Sinclair
Priestess: Bryn Apprill
Cow Girl: Jill Harris or Amber Lee Connors
Guild Girl: Monica Rial or Alexis Tipton
High Elf Archer: Jad Saxton or Brittany Lauda
Lizard Priest: Kent Williams or David Wald
Dwarf Shaman: Brian Mathis
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping for the final 4-6 show batch (maybe more? One can dream) to be the following:

Index

ReRided

Zombieland (this could potentially be a really good sleeper hit)

Conception

Tsurune

Karakuri circus

I'm fine waiting a couple of months if that's what it takes for fairy tail and to have more fall simuldubs.
just dont wait a year to give us the dub
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Here's hoping for the final 4-6 show batch (maybe more? One can dream) to be the following:

Index

ReRided

Zombieland (this could potentially be a really good sleeper hit)

Conception

Tsurune

Karakuri circus

I'm fine waiting a couple of months if that's what it takes for fairy tail and to have more fall simuldubs.
just dont wait a year to give us the dub

Karakuri Circus is an Amazon exclusive, and Tsurune is apparently licensed by Ponycan USA.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Recasts for simuldubs suck, but the good news is Funi's been great about redubbing with the original actors for the home video release. They admitted from the start these problems would inevitably come up because you can't foresee every personal emergency or unexpected conflict. **** happens. The fact it's only been a problem for a handful of shows just goes to show how tight a ship their running imo.

I mean, did anyone ever imagine it'd be possible to hear so much LA talent in a weekly dub based in Texas a few years ago?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
Any of you feel like funi is biting more then they can chew? Like when they changed maiyuri in steins gate. That was the worse btw. Stiens gates dub is pretty critically acclaimed. That's really jarring to switch such an A rank voice for a character. Also I hate how I hear the same 5 voice actors every anime. I know that's always been there but its been like 3 times as bad since the simuldubbing.Honestly, if dubsare gonna survive the next couple decades, there needs to be day 1 simuldubbing like space dandy. Then dubs will be more popular then subs again like in the 90's.

Yes, I think they could be maybe 5-6 simuldubs each season. This potentially can help devote the resources to lessening the delays on home video box-sets. As far as hearing the same voices, this also happens a lot in even the subbed shows. Heck, sometimes a seiyuu might work on 5+ shows in 1 season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2