• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wall Street Journal: Nintendo Plans to Release New Switch Model in 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like they are following the footsteps from Playstation and Xbox by adopting new models. I wonder what kind of model will look like when it comes, as far as i know? Confused
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Great, that's what I've been waiting for and made me postpone buying one earlier. They (virtually?) always do this with their handhelds.
I'm loking forward to the release and the list of features.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:49 am Reply with quote
New screen? Darn, I was hoping it would lose the screen all together and bring the price down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:14 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
New screen? Darn, I was hoping it would lose the screen all together and bring the price down.

Never! Convergence towards hybrid and portability is the future! Surprised

Though I won't be surprised if there is a price reduction regardless especially if the new Switch model has like improved hardware specs.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
I was hoping to see something like this. Switch is a great unique console but its limited hardware is holding it back from getting more games. It bothers me that most multiplatform games always come to PS4/X1/PC with Switch ports by months or never. I expect Nintendo to improve its hardware to be almost as powerful as the original PS4/X1. A 500 GB capacity and a better battery life would be nice too.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping for something more portable friendly, I'm sorry the current version is just too wide for my tastes. Probably won't be that from the wording in the article, though. Crying or Very sad
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Well, it looks like they are following the footsteps from Playstation and Xbox by adopting new models. I wonder what kind of model will look like when it comes, as far as i know? Confused

yeah...no. Nintendo has been doing this for like forever with their handhelds.

this is very annoying as i just got one a couple of weeks ago.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
*Sigh*
Wished they announced this a few months back.
Now I'm in a real pickle, here.

Should I get a new Switch next year or get the Smash bundle one for Christmas?
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bought a Switch yet specifically because I knew this was going to happen. Nintendo has done it with all of their handhelds. Why did anyone think Switch would be the exception?
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:

Hardware revisions are nothing new, especially for Nintendo. Not DS - DS Lite - DS XL, then from 3DS-2DS. And when it came to the Wii, the revision was actually worse, so sometimes you lose features.

Unless you meant that Nintendo would follow Sony and Microsoft and release hardware with higher specs? Technically they did that with DSi which didn't catch on, and even their 3DS XL models upped the specs a bit, but nothing that would really make a difference except for OS features being faster.

I doubt Nintendo would release a 'Pro' or '1 X' model for Switch. Most likely a screen improvement makes sense, maybe even an 'XL' variant at a higher price. But there won't be any 60 fps/4K upscaling. The device will be portable-friendly and Nintendo won't be able to shove that hardware in there, further draining battery life, and at a higher premium cost.

Most likely the model will retain close to the same specs with any improvement being marginal for OS purposes, improved screen and more on board memory space for digital games. And also it'll likely cut hardware costs on Nintendo's end though whether they pass those savings on to you is another story, but if this is any kind of XL I can see them launching at the same price, and cutting the regular Switch by about $50.
HK16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
I was hoping to see something like this. Switch is a great unique console but its limited hardware is holding it back from getting more games. It bothers me that most multiplatform games always come to PS4/X1/PC with Switch ports by months or never. I expect Nintendo to improve its hardware to be almost as powerful as the original PS4/X1. A 500 GB capacity and a better battery life would be nice too.

Quote:

And you see why Nintendo gamers always get joked on.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
@jdnation

I don't really like talking about hardware, but i have an interest in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1