• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voltron: Legendary Defender Animated Series' Final Season Premieres on December 14

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I have some catching up to do. Big time. I'm gonna miss this series so much! I love all of these characters! Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like Voltron, I'm relieved it's ending. Not because of the fandom (I don't venture far into fandoms, generally), but because this feels like a natural endpoint. They told the stories they wanted to (with varying degrees of success), and while it's a shame to see them go out just as they've really hit their stride, I'd much rather Voltron go out on a high note than be stretched out ad infinitum.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
As much as I like Voltron, I'm relieved it's ending. Not because of the fandom (I don't venture far into fandoms, generally), but because this feels like a natural endpoint. They told the stories they wanted to (with varying degrees of success), and while it's a shame to see them go out just as they've really hit their stride, I'd much rather Voltron go out on a high note than be stretched out ad infinitum.

Indeed. I think it helps that the creators had the freedom they needed to plan the series' beginning, middle, and end thanks to Netflix instead of being constrained by typical TV networks and their rigid rules. The show was planned to have 78 episodes anyway.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I need to watch season 7, once this season comes out. I binged Voltron recently, and not seeing any of the old stuff. I came into this with no idea what I was getting into. I absolutely loved this show, yea sometimes it was more cartoonish than what I am used to, but it had a great plot driven story, likable characters, and can we just talk about the voice acting for a minute? I love it so much.

The only set-backs I have for this show is...they honestly can not write romance for shit.
spoiler[Who thought it was a good idea to have Lotor & Allura kiss, only to literally make the next scene him being exposed as some traitor. Yikes.]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Did a bunch of clean up. We're going to cease with the off topic debates on shipping, and the hypocritical posts where one side complains about fans while slinging shit themselves onto others. The whole shipping and "fandom" lines of arguing only end in childish flame wars so do it somewhere else please.
asilenttree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
If you're curious about whether to start this show, I recommend watching it and giving it a little time to build up (as the seasons progress, the story definitely picks up, especially with spoiler[Lotor's] introduction). Some of the criticisms I've seen lobbed are a little farfetched (it seems to be fueled by head canons and the unfortunate recent decisions made by the marketing dept...). Do I think the show is perfect? No--but what show is perfect?

Despite what you may see commenters saying, romance is a miniscule part of the plot. I would say the majority of it is action-oriented with a focus on platonic relationship building. Fans I know IRL who avoid the online fandom think this show is just fine and are genuinely confused when I mention the polarized reaction online.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
I need to watch season 7, once this season comes out. I binged Voltron recently, and not seeing any of the old stuff. I came into this with no idea what I was getting into. I absolutely loved this show, yea sometimes it was more cartoonish than what I am used to, but it had a great plot driven story, likable characters, and can we just talk about the voice acting for a minute? I love it so much

It's the same for me. I started watching on a whim and enjoyed it a lot more than i expected. Good to know there will be someting nice to watch during the holiday season. Very Happy
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised this didn't end sooner, it started out pretty well, and then somewhere around the 2nd season completely hit rock bottom and never came back.

The last few seasons really felt like the writers didn't even know where to go with it. They even went as far to make one of the main "heroes" gay to attempt to pander and it made things worse. I will give them some credit on reinventing some characters.. Commander Yurak/Sadak is one great example.. he was pretty much a chump in the original, and they made him a more prominent villain in the Legendary defender series.

I still believe they should have named this series Paladins... because Voltron literally disappears at several points.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
They even went as far to make one of the main "heroes" gay to attempt to pander and it made things worse.

How exactly did that 'make things worse'?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
They even went as far to make one of the main "heroes" gay to attempt to pander and it made things worse.

Simple.. it diluted a no direction plot even further. And it was fake enough of an insert that it was designed to pander to only a specific fanset.

Shiro's sexual orientation has no bearing on the plot.. and inserting it as a plot point does nothing but be Trendy and doing the hip thing..
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Because they spoiler[killed off his estranged boyfriend in the old “Bury your gays” trope]. Didn’t go over well.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? It literally took up no more than five minutes in total and had no real impact on the plot whatsoever. I don't see how that could have 'diluted' anytrhing.

And if they really wanted to 'pander' to this mysterious 'specific fanset', they should have made it actually matter. I sure didn't feel pandered enough...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Back on topic, please. And remember to use spoiler tags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my bad on that one.

spoiler[Still came off as remarkably tone deaf to kill Shiro’s boyfriend right after confirming his sexuality.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
My favorite character on this show is Lotor. I have never preferred the antagonist over the protagonists in a show as much. (There's nothing wrong with the paladins, they're just a tad boring to me). My biggest hope for the final season is that spoiler[Lotor acknowledges his mother, and realize both their quests for power were a mistake. I also want to see more of Lotor's team, they're great, too!]

Here's hoping for a satisfying final season!

Beatdigga wrote:
Yeah, my bad on that one.

spoiler[Still came off as remarkably tone deaf to kill Shiro’s boyfriend right after confirming his sexuality.]

I went to the panel at NYCC on Friday morning, and Lauren Montgomery started it off by acknowledging that fans were upset by the token representation and saying the criticism "opened up a lot of discussions on meaningful representation". I was very impressed---showrunners usually ignore criticism like that or double down and defend their writing decisions. Acknowledging criticism and saying you hope to do better in the future takes a lot of strength! (and I do hope this talented team gets more projects!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2