• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Convention Report: Anime Fest @ NYCC 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully, next year information about the shuttle will be more opaque.

ITYM "transparent" - being more opaque would mean being even more hidden, the exact opposite of what's desired. "Visible" or "available" would be even better.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I would've attended at least one panel at Anime Fest@NYCC 2018, because I was asked my co-worker that if I wanted to do one panel they'd pay for whichever day I wanted to attend. I decided not to go because 1) moving from panel to panel within a certain time between distances is a pain considering that most of the library "only" events were at the NYPL, which isn't that bad. 2) The fear that certain panels would be full and I'd waste a day.

There were shuttles given for the Javitz but that was because much of the subway systems were down due to construction (ie., Hudson Yards 7 train).

But let's be honest here, why make things sound so great. From what I heard word of mouth that Anime Fest wasn't that much of a success due to the amount of people that had to choose between NYCC and Anime Fest NYCC. That and the fact that this con would come out of nowhere a month before Anime NYC which has gotten some fans livid considering that this was the revival of a NY Anime convention only to be up against a bigger con. And to be honest wasn't too thrilled with this year's NYCC because I can see the amount of anime panels are really getting less and less. But I think this was a bad idea to have two cons running at the same time. Good to know that Anime Fest NYCC did well for all it was worth but here's a suggestion. Maybe it would be better having this con on a different month and in NJ. NJ doesn't have very many cons. We got that nice Prudential Center courtesy of Prudential built in downtown Newark that is now the new home to the NJ Devils and K-Con. How about picking a day, and placing it there. Not one month from Anime NYC and not on the same day as NYCC. That's my two cents.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The photo of the people sitting on chairs on what looks to be tatami makes me cringe... If they want authenticity, they should've had zabuton pillows, and dude, you don't ever wear shoes on tatami.

Quote:
The ground shook when nearly all of them cheered Masako Tsukada, the Japanese voice actress of Goku, and Christopher Sabat, the English actor of Vegeta, came on stage.

That's pretty awesome! I question the choice to write Mako san's name as Tsukada instead of Nozawa, which she is more well-known as though.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
@crosswithyou

Nah, no tatami mats, that is just the concrete floor of the venue.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
I appreciate the added information Rai Kelly gave for this first-time outing, but ultimately it seems from the fan and vendor side at least that this convention was a letdown. At least given the fact that it was put together by such giant conventions and organizations. Rolling Eyes

The more I learn about big conventions, honestly, the less I want to attend them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1