• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ghoul:re Anime's 2nd Season Listed With 12 Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe_g7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
Well, RIP Tokyo Ghoul:re S2.
juusee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
I think we all expected this. Tokyo Ghoul doesn't deserve this.
Robiii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 am Reply with quote
Next time Studio Pierrot adapts something into an anime, you just read the source and pretend the anime wasnt even announced in the first place.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
Next time Studio Pierrot adapts something into an anime, you just read the source and pretend the anime wasnt even announced in the first place.

Studio Pierrot is unfortunately a nightmare, at least in my opinion. I can't tell you how happy I am that they're not the studio adapting My Hero Academia.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
I was afraid that the end of the manga would mean that the production committee would take a "let's get this over with" approach and only approve 12 episodes.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
This is how this season is gonna play out, you heard it here first folks:

spoiler[Half the season will be Kaneki's betrayal and fight in the prison....BUT he will lose at the end just like in Re chapter 143...leading into the Dragon finale (as seen in the images for the season). Meaning the entirety of the Goat Formation will be skipped.]

One could argue that given Root A's existence in the anime cannon, one does not need to cover Re's middle content because most of the Ghoul characters it revolves around barely play a roll in the anime. Either way, I am sure fans of the series will take it in stride and act mature when they skip 40+ chapters. Ahhhhh it will be Root A all over again.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
As much as people hate on Pierrot's direction, one must also consider pointing some of the blame at Ghoul's publisher, Shueisha.

As one of the production committee higher-ups, they're the one with the most authority to dictate the amount of episodes Ghoul should get, as well as the direction they want to see the anime go.
Remember that Ghoul's previous director, Shuhei Morita, claimed in an AMA that his higher-ups (likely in the committee) meddled in the execution of Root A which led to it departing from his and Ishida's vision for it, turning it into a hot mess.
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/88fddm/im_shuhei_morita_the_director_of_anime_series/

There's also been suspicion that Shueisha purposely wanted to restrain Ghouls' anime ability to shine to prevent it from overshadowing manga sales, as this user from an anime blog posited:

Quote:
When Shueisha ask you to adapt 60 chapters in the space of 12 episodes, you do as you are told, because they own the intellectual property and have far more leverage in negotiations. And it’s pretty obvious when you look at it from their perspective as publishers. It’s exorbitantly expensive to fund anime production, so why produce 6 seasons and suffer a loss, when you can turn a profit by cramming everything into 3 seasons? Not to mention if the anime does too well, that could potentially eat away at manga sales, where people opt to purchase the anime over the manga, turning the anime into a competitive source of revenue. This business model of Shueisha’s becomes very apparent, when you look at how they go about Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Look, I'm just wondering how they're gonna handle spoiler[the sex scene]. It took up an entire chapter of the manga, but I'm not convinced the anime will even mention it.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
no-one cares about this flop anymore.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Look, I'm just wondering how they're gonna handle spoiler[the sex scene]. It took up an entire chapter of the manga, but I'm not convinced the anime will even mention it.

They won't mention it. That entire downtime arc will be skipped.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
My brain keeps calling this series Turkey O'Ghoul. I have no idea what's going on up there.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
The My Hero Academia anime is a very faithful adaptation of the manga and this doesn't stop the manga from being a huge success and even outselling American comics so I don't understand the manga publisher's logic that they need to make the anime a rushed adaptation to sale the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1