• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dropkick on my Devil Anime's Staff: We'll Make Season 2 if BD Box Sets Sell 2,000 Copies

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm Reply with quote
It's just sad and pathetic when the anime staff literally tells its audience that they need to sell x copies in order to make more.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
It's just sad and pathetic when the anime staff literally tells its audience that they need to sell x copies in order to make more.

Yeah, it kinda is. I mean, we all know if somethings sells, then more will be made.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
I'd rather have a known concrete target than the usual vain hope of making any difference.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
I don't see it hitting 2000 tbh. Hope I'm wrong though.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
That's not gonna happen, ajority of pre-orders are done before airing.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
Meh, it's no worse than crowdfound projects and its stretch goals.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:45 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

I like it, actually. It's good to have transparency and honesty, and remove doubt about whether a season 2 will be made.

I mean, we ALL know this is how the business works: almost every show that could get more episodes has to sell a certain amount of merch to do so. This isn't telling us anything we don't already know, it's just the staff telling us the number instead of keeping it to themselves.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
Well, at least this series was really good. So I can forgive them for this.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:

I like it, actually. It's good to have transparency and honesty, and remove doubt about whether a season 2 will be made.

I mean, we ALL know this is how the business works: almost every show that could get more episodes has to sell a certain amount of merch to do so. This isn't telling us anything we don't already know, it's just the staff telling us the number instead of keeping it to themselves.

But it's just half of the story. What if they met the required number but (a) the S2 made was just a series of OVA, or worse 5-minute shorts? (b) the S2 was done in CG? (c) they made S2 with cheaper budget (in terms of time and money), replacing the staff? or worse (d) they did not make the promised S2 and just silently shelved the project? The people who buy the BDs for the sake of making the sequel happen will definitely get pissed off.

Or we could look at the possibility that they actually intend to make a sequel, it's just that they want to milk money from increased BD/DVD sales.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

But it's just half of the story. What if they met the required number but (a) the S2 made was just a series of OVA, or worse 5-minute shorts? (b) the S2 was done in CG? (c) they made S2 with cheaper budget (in terms of time and money), replacing the staff? or worse (d) they did not make the promised S2 and just silently shelved the project?

Baseless assumptions are not "the other half of the story".
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Well, at least this series was really good. So I can forgive them for this.

Forgive them for what?
As Sunny milk said, it's not worse than crowdfunding.
It's even more honest than Shokugeki no Soma's producer telling about a 4th season "The more fan support there is, the quicker we can get back to working on Food Wars."

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2018-08-16/otakon-2018-fan-q-a-with-food-wars-producer-yuji-matsukura/.135550

You can keep supporting your favourite show and never get a continuation, but in that case you know what's the goal is, as for crowdfunding.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, this means they will see a spike in sales.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
It could be a tough sell if the quota takes a long while to attain.

Fortunately, progress is going halfway through.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
"What if they don't deliver what they promised?" Again, same as with Kickstarter: you get one shot. If you betray people's trust, they won't support you again, or if they do then they deserve that second disappointment. Anyone sacrificing more than they can afford on this has a problem substantially bigger than whether they get the second season they want or not.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if this is a good sign or not, but I just checked anime dept of Amazon Japan's BD/DVD popular 100 list and I noticed Dropkick occupying 2 spots in top 50. Previously it was nothing but StB-SAO-Index total domination. So there's hope. I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2