• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Manga Creator Kohske Asks Scanslators to Stop Sharing Gangsta.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
{Edit}: Bait post removed. ~ Psycho 101
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, this is terribly sad.

It's not the artist's responsibility to prevent their work from being pirated, it's up to the distributors and publishers to crack down on it. If they're implying to her the reason they don't pay her much for her work is because of piracy, that's ridiculously scummy.

edits for pronoun correction~

Last edited by Animegunclub on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
What's with the masculine pronouns? Despite the male-sounding pen name, Kohske is a woman, right?
Jakerams

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I thought the mangaka was female. Also it makes sense as to why people would search for scanslations over the official release. So I highly doubt a request helps unless they start threatening them with legal action.
sugarwater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
For starters Kohske is a woman, not a man - so that needs to be corrected right off the bat.

Quote:
Oh Mr. Kohske...maybe if your manga was actually better than a C+, the studio who made the anime didn't go bankrupt, and idk...you didn't take a two year HAITUS and came back a little over a yesr ago...maybe, just maybe, your sales would be better.

But no, let's just blame everything on pirates.

Manglobe going under has absolutely no bearing on the manga.

Kohske took a hiatus because she has an incurable, chronic illness that means she spends a considerable period of each month in hospital. The two year hiatus was immediately after her diagnosis when she was particularly weak. Even now, she can't keep to a full schedule because some months she is unable to hold a pen. Regardless of your thoughts on the content of her work, she has a well-documented and debilitating illness but has resumed a semi-regularly schedule to continue earning a living. While it's unlikely people will respect her wishes, given her struggles and her need to support her health and family, her frustration is surely understandable.

Last edited by sugarwater on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:

It's not the artist's responsibility to prevent their work from being pirated, it's up to the distributors and publishers to crack down on it. If they're implying to her the reason they don't pay her much for her work is because of piracy, that's ridiculously scummy.

Agreed.

And that is where my frustration comes from. It seems that often times the industry is incredibly inept at putting content in the hands of fans. Generally speaking, I hate piracy. But it is very frustrating when a legal source for manga (or anime) isn't available to me, while meanwhile fansubbers or scanlations are readily and easily available. If a group of total amateurs working for free can have a manga or anime available for me to read or watch in a matter of days (if even that) it reflects very poorly on a company if it's been months and there's still no subbed anime or translated manga out there. I try and avoid those things if at all possible, but I can completely understand how a western fan might go for a pirate site if that's the only option he or she has, or if the legal version is so incredibly slow to come to market.
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
And that is where my frustration comes from. It seems that often times the industry is incredibly inept at putting content in the hands of fans. Generally speaking, I hate piracy. But it is very frustrating when a legal source for manga (or anime) isn't available to me, while meanwhile fansubbers or scanlations are readily and easily available. If a group of total amateurs working for free can have a manga or anime available for me to read or watch in a matter of days (if even that) it reflects very poorly on a company if it's been months and there's still no subbed anime or translated manga out there. I try and avoid those things if at all possible, but I can completely understand how a western fan might go for a pirate site if that's the only option he or she has, or if the legal version is so incredibly slow to come to market.

I understand the frustration but this is a pretty myopic view of the process. Negotiating a license takes time. Sitting down with the mangaka and discussing how they would like their work to be adapted takes time. Approvals take time. Official translations go through a ton of steps to obtain the property and meet quality standards that a bunch of thieves with a scanner and Photoshop just don't have to.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:

I understand the frustration but this is a pretty myopic view of the process. Negotiating a license takes time. Sitting down with the mangaka and discussing how they would like their work to be adapted takes time. Approvals take time. Official translations go through a ton of steps to obtain the property and meet quality standards that a bunch of thieves with a scanner and Photoshop just don't have to.

Sure, those things take time, and I understand that. But we are talking about professionals at work here. There is no reason why a manga business could not handle their process differently in order to avoid major delays getting the product to their customers. If a bunch of pirates can do it then professionals can too.

Clearly a foreign company which chooses to license an extant manga is "late to the game" and thus their translated release would be delayed while they negotiate for the rights and so on, but once that is done there is no reason why a delay should be ongoing, other than ineptitude.

Quality checking? I'm all in favor of that. But quality checking doesn't have to take months, or even years, the way the current system has worked. With the internet, etc, there's no reason why quality checking with multiple experts couldn't be done in a few days.

Again, I'm not defending pirate sites. But I can certainly understand what motivates some people to use them. My solution to the never-ending translation delays when I started getting into anime was to buy imports and to learn Japanese.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:

There IS at least one manga(completed, not licensed by any English publisher) where the scanlator, already having translated several chapters of it, went and took contact with the mangaka and author, got their approval to translate it, and started retranslating it from the beginning(to the frustration of many readers who saw already released chapters disappear...) and just recently caught up to the previous progress.

I won't name it because while the artist/author might have given their direct approval to the scanlator, the publisher might be of different mind...
Onymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Sure, those things take time, and I understand that. But we are talking about professionals at work here. There is no reason why a manga business could not handle their process differently in order to avoid major delays getting the product to their customers. If a bunch of pirates can do it then professionals can too.

Clearly a foreign company which chooses to license an extant manga is "late to the game" and thus their translated release would be delayed while they negotiate for the rights and so on, but once that is done there is no reason why a delay should be ongoing, other than ineptitude.

Quality checking? I'm all in favor of that. But quality checking doesn't have to take months, or even years, the way the current system has worked. With the internet, etc, there's no reason why quality checking with multiple experts couldn't be done in a few days.

Again, I'm not defending pirate sites. But I can certainly understand what motivates some people to use them. My solution to the never-ending translation delays when I started getting into anime was to buy imports and to learn Japanese.

I mean you can say all that but have you worked in manga? Lets say you somehow translate and typeset everything all in one day and have an agreement with the Japanese publisher to send it in for approvals before releasing it digitally or sending it to print then they take a week to get it back to you?

I can definitely understand that people want it now and are willing to steal a low quality version of it rather than wait but that's they're decision to hurt the author and I don't think it's useful to conflate that subject with the official translations being accelerated. Professional manga translators are some of the hardest working people I know.

For the record, I think what you've done is absolutely the right (or perhaps only) thing to do if you don't want to wait on translations.

Last edited by Onymous on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:

edits for pronoun correction~

A good chunk of her income is from royalties on volumes sold so piracy affects how much she is compensated regardless as to how well they crack down on it.

Quote:
I can definitely understand that people want it now and are willing to steal a low quality version of it rather than wait but that's they're decision to hurt the author and I don't think it's useful to conflate that subject with the official translations being accelerated. Professional manga translators are some of the hardest working people I know.

Eh. Sometimes it's 4 to 6 month waits between volumes and then they stop translating it entirely leaving you sitting with 5+ volumes of a title they'll never finish. Then for some series they don't bother reprinting it and you're looking at paying $50+ for a single volume. Or in some cases they'll just refuse to pick up a title because it's too short/long, old and/or niche.

It's also not really helpful to say that scanslations are "low quality", part of the problem is that many of them aren't.

Last edited by teferi on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Onymous wrote:

I mean you can say all that but have you worked in manga? Lets say you somehow translate and typeset everything all in one day and have an agreement with the Japanese publisher to send it in for approvals before releasing it digitally or sending it to print then they take a week to get it back to you?

For the record, I think what you've done is absolutely the right (or perhaps only) thing to do if you don't want to wait on translations.

That's a terrible thing to tell your customers. But it leaves me wondering--is scanlation an issue with manga only? Do other publishers in other countries have problems with people importing their stuff and localizing them for piracy use? I've only heard little bit of it here and there, usually revolving around things like Harry Potter novels and the like.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Gangsta Is a great manga in this current world of manga and anime that just spews out repetitive garbage. I sure hope people stop robbing her because I want to see gangsta through to the end.
RahviTheColorful

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately I can hardly imagine that taking down pirating websites help anything. I doubt too many of the people who pirate would buy official releases.

From my experience (and so I might be wrong, but it sure seems that way) people usually pirate either because they can't afford to pay, because they can't buy it where they live or because they don't care enough about the media to consume it if they had to pay.
So either way making pirated versions unavailable will just make it so that those people won't read the manga anymore... it won't make them buy it.

I honestly think that ending piracy would actually have a very small effect on sales.

I myself have a bunch of titles from those "latest x chapters for free" or "one free chapter per day" digital manga platforms that I read only because they're free. They're honestly not interesting enough that I'd pay to read them.

Last edited by RahviTheColorful on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
So I looked around, and it seems Viz Media isn’t selling this title digitally, so it’s a physical exclusive. Is the reason for this because selling it as ebooks makes piracy easier? In my opinion, not allowing digital sales hurts her manga more, especially in 2018.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4