• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Was A Judge At Scotland Loves Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at the Squirrels, I know Scotland is the place in the UK with the biggest population of Red Squirrels(native to the island), so it is odd to see a North American Squirrels, which carry a disease that kills Red Squirrels.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Kim, this was a really good article with very interesting perspectives. I like your way of thinking and how you talk about it so openly.

I’m afraid I missed penguin highway by a few days (just stopped being shown at my local cinema when I came to Japan – and as a big Ishida/Colorido fan I really wanted to see it on a big screen!), and my mild interest in Pancreas was not enough to move me into the cinema, so I only watched (and enjoyed) Mirai. Oh well, I’ll at least try to catch Wakaokami tomorrow before its run ends (surprised it’s still running – penguin highway only ran for a bit more than one month here in Fukushima).
Halko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“Hosoda is a prestigious director; he doesn't need awards from small film festivals to build up his reputation in the West. On the other hand, penguin highway is Studio Colorido's first feature-length film, and even hardcore anime fans don't know who Hiroyasu Ishida is. penguin highway stands more to gain from an award than Mirai does.”

This is by far one of the worst reasons i can think of to grade a piece of work over another. Its a slap in the face to the entire point of critically reviewing anything and a disservice to everyone involved.
gacha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Quote:
“Hosoda is a prestigious director; he doesn't need awards from small film festivals to build up his reputation in the West. On the other hand, penguin highway is Studio Colorido's first feature-length film, and even hardcore anime fans don't know who Hiroyasu Ishida is. penguin highway stands more to gain from an award than Mirai does.”

This is by far one of the worst reasons i can think of to grade a piece of work over another. Its a slap in the face to the entire point of critically reviewing anything and a disservice to everyone involved.

Honestly, the whole article is like that, it's like her main goal was to convince us that she's not a critic. And she gloriously succeeded.
Halko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
There isnt anything wrong with not being a critic though or having your own opinion on things. Hell voting for the movie in some informal survey for those reasons alone isnt bad in its own sense either. Its just not what you should do when your put in a position in any official manner.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you enjoyed the event! Andrew, Jeremy et al. seem to have monopolised the anime film festival scene here, if not created it outright.

MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm surprised at the Squirrels, I know Scotland is the place in the UK with the biggest population of Red Squirrels(native to the island), so it is odd to see a North American Squirrels, which carry a disease that kills Red Squirrels.

Red squirrels in the UK only exist in small and typically protected populations. For the reasons you state, the extreme majority of such animals are of the grey variety.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Very nice read!

My only problem with SLA is that, as usual, entertainment never goes further north than Glasgow and Edinburgh. Living in "proper" Scotland, there's no way I'd make a special 320 mile round trip to watch a movie, if I were going down south in my lorry and there's no rush I'd try to make it fit...but that's very rare.

There are perfectly good cinemas in Inverness, Perth and Aberdeen (at least 4 that I know of in Aberdeen) for showing SLA, I get that there are screening costs, but I'd imagine that quite a few people are missing out on it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Crabtree1 wrote:
My only problem with SLA is that, as usual, entertainment never goes further north than Glasgow and Edinburgh. Living in "proper" Scotland, there's no way I'd make a special 320 mile round trip to watch a movie, if I were going down south in my lorry and there's no rush I'd try to make it fit...but that's very rare.

There are perfectly good cinemas in Inverness, Perth and Aberdeen (at least 4 that I know of in Aberdeen) for showing SLA, I get that there are screening costs, but I'd imagine that quite a few people are missing out on it.
Does the population density not get a lot smaller past Glasgow and Edinburgh?
joe_g7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought this was really nice and a fun read until...
Quote:
This is not what you were supposed to do as a judge though. I get your thinking, but what about the movie itself? Was PH better than Mirai? As far as I could tell you liked them both equally but cast your votes for completely different reasons. Would Mirai have gotten your vote if it didn't have a prestigious director helming it? Would PH still have won if both movies had prestigious directors? What if both movies had no-name directors? Wasn't the whole purpose of this film festival to decide the better movie, not the director/studio that deserved it more? Like, I have so many question after reading this.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:50 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Crabtree1 wrote:

Does the population density not get a lot smaller past Glasgow and Edinburgh?

It depends on where you'd be looking to go. A lot of Scotland both above and below the central belt (Edinburgh and Glasgow area) is mountainous countryside not fit for human habitat in the 21st century. That said, towns and cities up north seem fairly dense. According to wiki, Edinburgh pop. is 1.5 million, Glasgow is 1.8 million, then you go up to Aberdeen at 500,000 and Perth and Inverness with a combined total of just over 100,00.

tbh, I was rather surprised at Perth and Inverness, how many anime fans will you get out of 100,000 people 100 miles apart? Not many I'd guess...
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Halko & gacha

With the utmost respect towards you both , I quite humbly disagree with your opinions.

For whatever it might be worth (and it might not be worth anything) it is my belief that if someone is given the right to vote on a matter based solely on their genuine opinion of said matter, then absolutely no opprobrium is warranted. As someone once resonded to Zin5ki ─ albeit in a very different context ─ “It’s an opinion, dude.”

EDIT:
Dammit, I forgot the main reason that I wanted to post in this thread in the 1st place! Mad Kim Morrissy's comment on Calamity of a Zombie Girl reminded me that I had rated it, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what I had rated it at (8/11); guess it really didn't make much of an impression on me..... Confused Rolling Eyes Shocked
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Squirrels! (They are on every continent except for Antarctica and Australia; they are exotic beasts to us Down Under.)

It's so true.... When I went to England I saw all these squirrels and even though they're kind of just common pests over there I was so excited to actually see a squirrel in real life. Wild.
gacha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Halko & gacha
With the utmost respect towards you both , I quite humbly disagree with your opinions.

Then we shall agree to disaggree on this matter
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1