• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Zoku Owarimonogatari

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with treating anime adaptation separately from the source, and it's often for the best. But are we really at the point where we pretend that the source doesn't exist now?
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Really? Really?! Is ANN so strapped for writers it has to bring in Rich "SAO is the Smartest Anime of All Time" Eisenbeis to review Monogatari? Yikes. We're like two steps removed from having the Cinema Sins guy writing up the new Ikuhara anime...
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
ragz wrote:
I'm fine with treating anime adaptation separately from the source, and it's often for the best. But are we really at the point where we pretend that the source doesn't exist now?

I'm not going to lie, I was confused when I first read your comment--"who was pretending the books didn't exist?" Then I looked back at what I had written and saw where you were coming from. I was so focused on reviewing the anime in front of me that I didn't even notice that I hadn't mentioned the book series at all. Clearly an oversite on my part and something I'll do my best to correct in the future.

Redcrimson wrote:
Really? Really?! Is ANN so strapped for writers it has to bring in Rich "SAO is the Smartest Anime of All Time" Eisenbeis to review Monogatari? Yikes. We're like two steps removed from having the Cinema Sins guy writing up the new Ikuhara anime...

Being that I have seen every Monogatari anime, reviewed almost all of them professionally (never reviewed Nisemonogatari, interestingly), and have read several of the books, I like to believe that I'm well-versed enough to give a comprehensive and insightful review of this chapter in the story. If you feel I have failed in this regard, I can only apologize and say that I am always trying to improve--and that I hope my work will win you over in the future.

Now, as for my "infamous" SAO review, a couple of things. As much as the net loves hyperbole, I think that the actual headline is a bit important in this case:

Sword Art Online Is the Smartest Anime I’ve Seen in Years (And It’s Only Half-Done)

Note, it doesn't say it "is the smartest anime ever." It says it is "the smartest anime I've seen in years." This is a subjective statement, not an objective one. I made no secret that I was coming off of an anime drought around that time. And as I was easing myself back into seasonal watching, I was impressed with SAO's exploration of what the lives of various individuals would be like after stuck for years inside a VRMMO. It was without a doubt the smartest anime I personally had seen in years--and I stand by that headline even now.

Also note the always ignored second half of the headline "(And It’s Only Half-Done)." This review was written right after the first 13 episodes had aired--I didn't even know at the time that the arc would end a single episode later. If you want a look at how I felt about the second half of SAO, I think you'll find it a bit more negitive.

Now, if after understanding and accepting that clarification, you still feel that "we're like two steps removed from having the Cinema Sins guy writing up the new Ikuhara anime..." then I'm afraid I'll just have to accept it and hope I can change your mind with future articles. But at least now you'll be hating me for what I actually wrote instead of a misquoted hyperbole.
j_plex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
How can I watch this? When and where?
SilverCrono

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
j_plex wrote:
How can I watch this? When and where?

I'm pretty sure screenings are done with? Not sure. But the series will come out as a TV series (as it was originally intended) in 2019. There's little to no chance it won't be simulcast through the usual avenues.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/11/09-1/zoku-owarimonogatari-to-be-aired-as-six-episode-tv-anime
Dosmundos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't know the book, but I never expected a part of a series called something along the likes of "final story, continued" to be anything else than a philosophical afterthought.
More action basically would have meant that the story hadn't been satisfyingly brought to an end with the last chapter...
Plus, it has never really been the action part that makes the Monogatari series as a whole one of the greatest anime ever...
j_plex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
Dosmundos wrote:
I don't know the book, but I never expected a part of a series called something along the likes of "final story, continued" to be anything else than a philosophical afterthought.
More action basically would have meant that the story hadn't been satisfyingly brought to an end with the last chapter...
Plus, it has never really been the action part that makes the Monogatari series as a whole one of the greatest anime ever...

It was made clear in Hanamonogatari - where Kanbaru was the star - spoiler[that after the events of Ougi Dark the main trio - Araragi, Hitagi and Hanekawa - went on to "normal" lives, meaning the 3 graduating from high school and Araragi giving up being a vampire for good].

Also, the whole "final" thing ... isn't. It is only book 18 of a series that has 28 and still counting, although Shinomonogatari is supposed to be an ending of some sort (though likely of that particular arc). So my guess is new series and movies dealing with the post Zoku material, spoiler[which show that even though Araragi is no longer a vampire he is still helping people - females specifically - with issues involving oddities and that he is still involved in a turbulent romantic relationship with Hitagi], will be made.
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
So when do the rest of us get to watch this? Not everybody has the PRIVILEGE of watching anime in movie theaters.
prophetic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
So when do the rest of us get to watch this? Not everybody has the PRIVILEGE of watching anime in movie theaters.

You worded that wrong. Not everybody has the privilege of living in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1