• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Do Acquires MyAnimeList Website

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
did DeNA really do anything with MAL beyond enhance its security in the great MAL crash of 2018.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, feels like MAL might stop being the “Anime Index” platform if they start focusing on marketing and sales instead... Then again, a makeover might be nice.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:20 pm Reply with quote
So... is this a good thing or a bad thing? Either way, I just wish they'd bring back the thumbs down option.
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll finally add the option to list by english title.
rtil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
So... is this a good thing or a bad thing? Either way, I just wish they'd bring back the thumbs down option.

"a new team from Media Do will take over and will have a "new vision" for the site's future."

probably bad - if it aint broke, don't fix it. but here comes a "new vision" that i doubt anyone will be interested in besides the company's marketing team.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been to MAL in awhile. I even wonder if my account is still there. Still is but my password doesn't work. Gotta update when I get the chance. I'm surprised that the site was still up.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I haven't been to MAL in awhile. I even wonder if my account is still there. Still is but my password doesn't work. Gotta update when I get the chance. I'm surprised that the site was still up.

You're surprised the largest anime site that isn't a store/streaming site is still up...?. Look at their user ratings compared to every other similar site (including ANN). It's the go-to for that kind of thing. It's the go-to site for "Anime Lists". They probably have more market share for the Anime List niche than all their competitors combined.

Hopefully Media Do won't ruin it. They have to understand first and foremost that people go to MAL for a specific purpose - Anime lists. As long as they don't ruin the functionality of this feature, they can add whatever other bullshit they want but if they ruin what people go there for now, then the purchase of the site would be pointless.

Seif wrote:
Maybe they'll finally add the option to list by english title.

I thought this was a thing already deep in the options? The main problem with it is that MOST anime don't have english titles. Only stuff that gets licensed tend to have english titles.
=Vanilla=

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I won't be affected, since I use another site to keep track of my anime. I've never been happy with the way MAL looks, but maybe if it's updated I'll switch over.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I mean beyond cataloging what you've watched/read and the forums/groups what other point is there to MAL? Not trying to insult the place, I just fail to see what gains there are to be had from purchasing it. Let alone this "new vision" for it. But hey, it's not my money so whatever.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
MAL has badly went down hill over the past few years (I think the taking away of the dislike button on reviews and pulling down an article that insulted Nazis were the clearest signs) and a vast majority of it's user base has always been fairly awful, so I can't say I'd be really sad if this was the end of the site.
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
DeNA was shit and was 100% responsible for MAL going down last year. I just hope this new company doesn't try to make MAL more of a marketplace for digital sales than a site about tracking anime and talking to other people about it. Which it kind of seems like they will. The MAL API continues to be dead so I hope we at least get an update on that soon.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I have no interest in a cataloging site that lists 10 illegal ways to "own" a series before it lists a generic commercial DVD option. Site's always endorsed and promoted piracy, even if it's officially become less prominent in recent years, and it's still clearly the go-to option for its obnoxiously immature userbase. Certainly not for me.

Maybe the buyout by another publisher will add slightly more credibility to the site.

Also, ANN, fix your release scraper already. One of the key features that distinguishes and elevates your site above other sites like MAL and you've allowed it to crumble the past two years.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind a slightly more friendly user interface or an app. The desktop version is a bit troublesome.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Man I have problems with that site.

I hope they can do something about the toxicity rampant there.

Seriously there are way too many not-so-nice-people there.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I like what it is right now, as a way of keeping track of stuff I watch/things I read easily (although I have a backup txt version that I also use on my PC, just in case it ever goes away/changes...) I also like the feature when it reminds you when a "Plan to Watch" show is airing soon, since I usually forget. I like the interface and stuff, but my only complaint is how long it sometimes takes for an unpopular series to show up as an entry (Ne0;lation is a new Shonen Jump entry, and STILL hasn't officially been added in, to add to our lists?)

I don't blame them for taking away stuff like "sub groups" and stuff that used to be listed, and they did add links to official videos and whatnot. I don't mind them with adding a storefront, why not if people want to make digital purchases on it? I just hope not too much changes... I use it as a reliable source on franchise details like rare specials, episode counts, etc. As long as it doesn't deviate from that... or charge money for accounts :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3