• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Schedules Real Girl Dubcast in 4 Batches

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
They ended up doing that for Release the Spyce, as well. I don't know if it started out that way since I started watching late. I initially thought they were taking a break for the Thanksgiving holiday, but then it was a month before the next four episodes uploaded.

I hope this isn't the way that dubcasts are going to work going forward. The gap between batches makes it harder to remember what happened compared to weekly broadcasts, and the stop and start nature of doing it in batches isn't as convenient as being able to marathon it all.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
For a smaller studio like Sentai, this probably makes the cost of dubbing more economical. The recording sessions can be clumped together, this cutting down on costs. It might be more convenient for the voice actors as well, especially when many commute between Dallas and Houston for recording.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
..., and the stop and start nature of doing it in batches isn't as convenient as being able to marathon it all.

One could always simply wait.

The risk of being spoiled by those who view the subtitled version weekly would differ very little.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
..., and the stop and start nature of doing it in batches isn't as convenient as being able to marathon it all.

One could always simply wait.

The risk of being spoiled by those who view the subtitled version weekly would differ very little.

I'm aware of that, but it starts to stray into defeating the purpose of doing a dubcast/simuldub. The terms come from the comparable release schedule to the Japanese simulcast after all.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I wouldn't mind if most if not all simuldubs/dubcasts switched to this kind of schedule if it meant less stress for the people working on them, it must get kind of nuts behind the scenes when working on so many week to week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1