• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Apocrypha Limited Edition Blu-ray Part 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's based on a five-volume light novel series written by Yuichiro Higashide, which also allows for more room for the story to develop in its own directions, given that the word count for five books is significantly higher than one visual novel.

Ooo, I don't know about that.

Lord of the Rings is ~473,000 words
King James Authorized Bible ~783,137
Fate/Stay Night ~820,595 words
Fate/Apocrypha Volume 01 ~73,037 words
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this spin off more than I thought I would. If you come into the series expecting it to be Zero 2.0 than you’ll be very disappointed. It’s more in line with a classic battle manga that prioritizes plot progression and big set pieces as opposed to characterization. But even still, the journey was exciting enough even when the material wasn’t all that compelling or nuanced.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Quote:
It's based on a five-volume light novel series written by Yuichiro Higashide, which also allows for more room for the story to develop in its own directions, given that the word count for five books is significantly higher than one visual novel.

Was just about to post this. Many Visual novels are much longer than any novel. The Fruit of Grisaia for example is over 1,000,000 English words. Which is why VN anime adaptations have a much harder time cutting down than LN adaptations.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I really couldn't get into Apocrypha. There just way too many characters for me to care about. Outside of Mordred, Astolfo, Fran, and Jack (which is mostly due to FGO) I can't get invested in anyone.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't an Apocrypha fan either. The larger cast made it hard to give a hoot for many characters, and many felt like they were tacked on with simple anime character types because the series couldn't be bothered to flesh them out or give them some personality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Flü

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Music: B-? I thought that the OST had some fantastic tracks, done by one of the industries best composers (his IBO-OST was incredible). Though, granted, it overused some of the quieter tracks a lot. Could've benefited from more track-diversity.

Overall, Apocrypha was fine with some ups and downs. Everything related to Mordred and Kairi was a ton of fun, Vlad was super interesting, there were some great fights but the (sadly) lead protagonists of Sieg and Jeanne were wet blankets.
Should've just gone with the blonde Saber as your main hero again, i guess...

Not nearly as good as F/Z, but still much better than UBW.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Quote:

I stand corrected! And bad at math...I had meant all five volumes, but now I realize that's still less than LoTR. Oops. Though, and this is a real question not me being quarrelsome, how are word counts affected by different languages, particularly those with dissimilar alphabets? It's not something I've ever looked into, and I'm curious now.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The only part I found unintentionally comical about this series is that Mordred gets flat-out offended when people see her as a woman, and yet still dresses in that getup (picked by her middle-aged male master, no less). Kind of like a girl going to school in a bikini and telling people not to notice her, at least to me.

Nitpick aside (as well as Astollfo's distracting fanged lip), when I watched this series the whole way through, it instantly became my new favorite Fate Series, topping both Unlimited Blade Works and Zero (although now I'm waiting for the Heaven's Feel trilogy to conclude its run). There was just too much that was awesome, imaginative and epic about it, and the characters all had their own distinctive appeal (especially Astolfo). It was a sufficiently long wait to finally own this on blu!
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Seif wrote:
Quote:

I stand corrected! And bad at math...I had meant all five volumes, but now I realize that's still less than LoTR. Oops. Though, and this is a real question not me being quarrelsome, how are word counts affected by different languages, particularly those with dissimilar alphabets? It's not something I've ever looked into, and I'm curious now.

Great review!

I was using the word count of the fan-translations for F/SN and F/A. The last volume isn't finished so I gave the first volume's word count in lieu of a total. I prefaced all of them with "~" because of none of them are natively in English.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I do love how half the review is dedicated to talking about my Greek lads Chiron and Achilles, they are wonderful and man I wish they got more screentime to develop.
Fate/Apo to me is like Michael Bay’s take on the Fate series. It fast, flashy, and doesn’t have much depth or anything complicated going on, and many times it’s also very silly and dumb.

I had some fun watching it, but I usually turn to Fate for unique and interesting stuff, so it didn’t really appeal to me. Ufotable’s work on Zero and UBW far outclass it, and I even liked Shaft’s Fate/Extra more (though that series has its own share of problems).
Oh and maybe the reviewer will bring it up in the second blu-Ray review, but I’m grateful to this dub if only for one reason alone, introducing me to Allegra Clark, who voices Assassin of Red, Archer of Red, AND the Master of Assassin of Black. And she makes all of them sound distinct. It’s so impressive and this was the show that got her started on voicing in anime.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Generally people use kilobytes of text for Japanese works.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who haaaated the second half of UBW, so Big Jam Packed Fighty Fate was just what the doctor ordered after that.

The huge cast is great, although the only bummer about it is how by the end of the show, it doesn't feel like any of their stories were really tied up in a completely satisfying way - but, given this show's ambitions go only so far beyond slamming the action figures together, it's much easier to accept.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I also was deeply let down by UBW, so Apocrypha was very much a pleasant surprise and my current second favorite Fate entry after Zero. (It will moved down to third if the Heaven's Feel's movies don't decide to face-plant in their last act like UBW did.)

It actually cares about exploring most of it's cast's motivations and making use of it's respective servants backgrounds and even the more "out there" interpretations like loli Jack the Ripper and Astollfo, the Knight of "that's really a guy?!" go in interesting directions that makes up for them being fairly obvious otaku bait. Things manage to happen each episode. The fights are consistently good and well-animated and above all else, it's fun.

So yeah, I'm glad that Rebecca and few others agree with me here especially since so much of the fanbase just seems to dismiss it in a very knee jerk manner of "it's bad because it not like the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel which is an irreproachable masterpiece." Of course, many of those same people whined that the ANN reviewers "just didn't get it" when UBW got a negative review here several times over.
Staros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
Edit

Last edited by Staros on Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 am Reply with quote
The first half of Fate/Apocrypha was pretty good. The fight with Berserker of Black and Caster of Red + Kotomine Shiro was my favorite, and while many of the fights don't really go anywhere (as it's typical of early-in-the-season Fate) it manages to end on a high note despite Sieg and Astolfo being significantly annoying.

Unfortunately it's downhill from here except for one fight in the second half.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2