• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Pokemon Sword and Shield

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What are you all planning on playing next month?

Presuming there are no delays on the PS4 version of Trails of Cold Steel, replaying for the Japanese audio. And for the so many things that I'll be able to get now I've actually played the Trails in the Sky games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also: I am not feeling the starters. This has to be the weakest batch of initial Pokemon since… well, ever.

Gen 3 & 4 say hello.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now I hope the new villains are a thinly veiled metaphor for FIFA.

I'm holding out hope for Team Brexit, personally Laughing

And agreed on the starter lineup being weak, but not on the monkey thing: Chimchar > Aipom Razz
SlamMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I declare the weepy Tadpole shall hereby be known as Sadpole. I don't care what name Nintendo has, he is now Sadpole.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Gen 3 & 4 say hello.

Gen 3 yea, but Piplup is more adorable than anything this gen has to offer imo and Empolean was pretty great. None of Gen 8's starters have really interested me so my favorite by default goes to Sobble. Hopefully the evolutions make me more excited for them.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, Sword and Shield is really the only appropriate thing they could've called it. Either that, or Pokemon Bangers and Pokemon Mash.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
SlamMan wrote:
I declare the weepy Tadpole shall hereby be known as Sadpole. I don't care what name Nintendo has, he is now Sadpole.

But it isn't a tadpole, it's a chameleon, which makes it a reptile not an amphibian.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
-Reggie: Yeah, this was a giant surprise. But it's nice to see someone retire because they're satisfied instead of "stepping down" to please idiot shareholders or mask corporate blunders. Reggie was always one of the good guys and his work before Nintendo was pretty impressive, including being one of the key figures behind the 9/11 concert for New York City (he grew up up NYC). He's what gaming executives should be or strive to be.

-Pokemon: I'm going with Scorbunny and considering that Galar is a UK analog I shall Galar Pokemon after Redwall characters. I expect there will be Gym Leaders modeled after Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter.

Also, I'm still surprised Detective Pikachu looks good

-Evo: About freaking time Melee was dropped. SamSho also looks great
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Remilore is supposed to be pretty good, however I heard it can be finished in one sitting, so I'll wait for a price drop.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Pokémon Sword and Shield: I'm still skeptical, but the art style looks great. I get Breath of the Wild vibes every time I look at it. I'm definitely gonna choose Scorbunny as my starter if and when I buy one of the games (I'm still conflicted about which of the two games I want). As always, you should expect it to sell tens of millions of copies worldwide. Every time a new Pokémon game comes out, it's an event.

Reggie Fils-Aimé retirement: I was a bit surprised when I heard this news. I liked him, and even if his background wasn't in video games, his theatrical style of speaking is what's really needed in the corporate world today. Most corporate suits are emotionless compared to him. I wish him a happy retirement.

Detective Pikachu: The movie looks really promising, very faithful to the original show, and the realistic Pikachu is starting to grow on me for some reason. But, hearing the word "hell" in a US-made Pokémon movie makes me worried about it for some reason. I'm not worried about it in the least, I just think parents might find it shocking to hear that word in a piece of Pokémon content, and that could hurt this movie at the box office.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
SlamMan wrote:

But it isn't a tadpole, it's a chameleon, which makes it a reptile not an amphibian.

A water Chameleon? I guess that's what it is based on the disguising thing. A grass Chameleon would make more sense to me but Pokemon does what it wants. I may still name mine Sadpole though just for fun.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
People are always talking about how each new batch of starters (or rather, most Pokemon that don't immediately scream "completely awesome") are disappointing and such, but while some of that probably sticks for a few people, I'm going to wait a bit before I judge. For one, I'm more worried about fire bunny being accused of plagiarism on that really convincing, popular fan-created fakemon not that long ago. The evidence is pretty striking, if you ask me:

Or how the grass starter looks different than the same fake leak's grass starter, but they are both monkeys (and in terms of similarity, their faces have the same basic shape, despite different expressions):

For those curious, water starters look nothing alike. Fake water mon was a platypus while real water mon is an amphibian.

But most of all, I think people will easily warm up to them once they see a lot of cute fanart of them around. I was like, "Ew, what is that?" to the water starter, but then my twitter feed swarmed with really cute pictures of it and now I'm debating my first choice already. The final evolutions will also play a part, but yeah.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not surprised that Melee was dropped from the lineup (the not carrying around CRT's probably played a massive part) I'm absolutely shocked they didn't put in DOA6. I mean it's a big franchise with a very loyal fanbase. Now we have to deal with the Core Values meme for the entirety of Evo. RIP Twitch chat.
squirrelmecha-2.0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Bet Pokemon Shield will have slaves in it
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

Gen 3 yea, but Piplup is more adorable than anything this gen has to offer imo and Empolean was pretty great. None of Gen 8's starters have really interested me so my favorite by default goes to Sobble. Hopefully the evolutions make me more excited for them.

I kind of actually meant to mention Gen 2 instead of 4 but it works too.

SlamMan wrote:

A water Chameleon? I guess that's what it is based on the disguising thing. A grass Chameleon would make more sense to me but Pokemon does what it wants.

Kelcheon is still a thing to be fair.

CastMember1991 wrote:

Detective Pikachu: The movie looks really promising, very faithful to the original show,

I don't recall Satoshi's Pikachu going around solving cases let alone talking in the original show Razz

CastMember1991 wrote:
I just think parents might find it shocking to hear that word in a piece of Pokémon content, and that could hurt this movie at the box office.

You had a Transformer In Revenge Of The Fallen uddering the line of "Punk-Ass Decepticon" which did not in anyway hurt the movie's box office take.....I don't see the more tame hell hurting this movie either.

Juno016 wrote:
People are always talking about how each new batch of starters (or rather, most Pokemon that don't immediately scream "completely awesome") are disappointing and such, but while some of that probably sticks for a few people, I'm going to wait a bit before I judge. For one, I'm more worried about fire bunny being accused of plagiarism on that really convincing, popular fan-created fakemon not that long ago.

It's kind of hard to accuse Nintendo and the Pokemon Company of engaging in plagiarism of something they own the rights to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2