• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan Cartoonists Association Formally Respond to Efforts to Expand Japanese Copyright Law

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Pretty measured response. The idea that literally anyone could be prosecuted for expressing their ideas about a series in any form of art or expression is downright Orwellian. The three points they want addressed help narrow it to actual harmful content.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Downloading images from Twitter accounts would be illegal, but just looking at things online means you have already downloaded the images. Sounds like it was written by someone who doesn't understand how computers work Confused
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Downloading anime images, illustrations, and photographs that are illegally posted to personal blogs and Twitter accounts would also be illegal, as would copying and pasting song lyrics. The laws would not be limited to directly downloading images themselves — taking screenshots of illegally uploaded media would also be against the new laws.

Whoa... song lyrics? Why the heck is that illegal? We are not allowed to look up the lyrics of songs we like?

And what does the latter mean for review sites who take caps or videos of flipping through artbooks? Some of us would like to know the content of books before we buy or import them. Or are they specifically talking about scanned manga pages?
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
How the hell can you justify sharing pictures and lyrics illegal? If money isn't being made from it that should be the only thing that matters. Otherwise an insane amount of people would be arrested. Including children! I'm in my late twenties and even I never know if a pic is being posted legally or not.
By this law's explanation wouldn't news agencies be doing illegal downloads and posts everyday?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese government is even more out of touch than the US government by an extreme margin (and that's saying a lot). Also, what are they trying to accomplish? Between these out of touch and aging politicians and the UN, anime and manga are just outright screwed.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The real kicker is that it's functionally impossible to prove that a screenshot is from a pirated anime rather than a legal stream--it's not like Crunchyroll uses a watermark. Same with manga screencaps (that don't show differently-translated text, anyway). How the hell are people supposed to prosecute that? Never mind whether how dystopian it is, it's impossible to enforce in the first place. And if they're trying to make it illegal to post any images from anime or manga...that's so ridiculous I can barely believe anyone would come up with the idea.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
This is what kills nico nico douga.
GoddyNee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:48 pm Reply with quote
If this goes thru, they just killed any future aspiring manga artists out there who might be trying to peddle their doujins or making a few extra yen doing art comissions.

Also, Pixiv dies too.
deviljho0001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
"Downloading anime images, illustrations, and photographs that are illegally posted to personal blogs and Twitter accounts would also be illegal"
We China now. Can't wait for Pixiv to disable image downloading lol. DRM anime and manga!
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
This isn't going to do a damn thing to stop "pirates" from downloading stuff. In fact it'll just encourage more of them to download.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 pm Reply with quote
In the original threat that mentioned this new law, I posted a similar concern. Glad the cartoonists are speaking out that the law needed clarification as it's written could easily harm the fan communities than stop piracy.

This law could easily turn fans into criminals for merely putting up a picture of their favorite manga moment, a colorized version of a picture from the manga (character, scenery, etc), or even GIFs from an Anime. And it wouldn't be surprised if some animators or mangaka end up being false flagged reported as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm really baffled by the song lyric ban. How does writing down what a singer is singing so you can understand them impact the copyright holder negatively in any way (unless it's deliberately unintelligible to hide how objectionable the lyrics are)? If anything, I'd think that would help artists sell more.

I mean, where are the profits to be made in keeping written lyrics under lock and key? How are lyricists and/or publishers losing money from someone posting lyrics? It's not like the artist is posting the lyrics anywhere, except maybe in a CD liner, and no one is going to buy a CD just to get the lyrics sheet.

I do remember that lyrics sites were targeted by BMI and ASCAP early on over copyright, which I didn't understand then, other than some vague nonsense about having to stop them or it would invalidate the copyright due to non-defense, but it seems like they got over that pretty quickly.

It just seems to me that lyrics are a very different animal than other kinds of IP. It makes sense that they should get royalties when the song is performed, and can sue if someone uses them in another song or a public performance, but they don't really have much monetary value standing alone on a page.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
Yikes.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:35 am Reply with quote
Whoa. Not even Disney is this tyrannical.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The Japanese government is even more out of touch than the US government by an extreme margin (and that's saying a lot). Also, what are they trying to accomplish? Between these out of touch and aging politicians and the UN, anime and manga are just outright screwed.

Another thing is that sometimes a manga-ka may outright say something to the effect of "as long as you are buying my manga through legal means, I an indifferent if you pirate it or translate it". Of course, the manga-ka would have to be the rights holder to justify saying that as publishers often get a piece of the earnings pie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2