• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind is Next Level Insanity

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I will not hide the fact that Jojo part 5 is my absolute favorite out of all 7completed parts (to be fair, I love them all, just different degrees), and the assassination squad team fights are an intergal part that made Golden Wind so enjoyable.

Andy and Nick mentioned the latter part being controversial, while I agree there are some wasted potentials that could make Golden Wind ascend to even greater heights, but it is still great nonetheless, at least for me and many people alike.

The series director for Jojo anime mentioned in an interview that part 5 literally changed his life while he was in middle school, honestly, it was for me too (in University for my case). Part 5, as violent as it gets, is actually surprisingly philosophical as the later part comes, the amount of motivational quotes, life realizations and symbolism really adds a lot of depth to the story. I highly recommend people to stay on board, maybe some of the quotes could inspire you too as the anime comes to the finale gracefully Cool
Karl2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the time Part 6 hits, I imagine we'll be at microbes and and a quiche with Stands.

Well Actually

Bruce91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but this is cringey and corny like a gameplay trailer of a online game. While using hired "players" reading a unrealistic script.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
bruce1991 wrote:
Sorry, but this is cringey and corny like a gameplay trailer of a online game. While using hired "players" reading a unrealistic script.

For better and worse (mostly better I think), This Week in Anime is never scripted. It's formatted like a chatlog because that's exactly what it is, screencap trading in real-time and all. It's just meant to be low-key and pleasant text-based entertainment, and it's been doing well for us so far, so there's clearly a nice little audience for it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So in case anyone is dying to know what happens to Fugo since we may never seen him the anime again.... Well there is a official side story about him that might get made into OVA once the Golden Wind anime is over. If not... Just listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwf_gaEQpJY&t=0s&list=FLwpyr7_waqrORvfpDj5cVlA&index=3 (Waring, it's five hours long and should only be listen to after the anime is finished.)
Luna_Inverse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
About Fugo, there seems to be a dropped plot about him being a traitor to Bruno and fighting the gang later. In the PS3 game if anyone from Bruno's team fight Fugo, they accuse him of being a traitor, but interestingly, so does Diavolo. That could mean that originally Fugo was going to betray Bruno and then join him again later.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Now that you guys have spoiled the fact that Fugo won't come back, I must say I have a feeling that Araki not only didn't know what to do with Purple Haze, but didn't quite have a handle on the character either. It was very surprising to me when his backstory revealed he had a genius-level IQ, because at no point we saw him come up with a brilliant plan, or at least something as clever as the improvised solutions that Giorno and Bucciarati used against their enemies.
Luna_Inverse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
spoiled the fact that Fugo won't come back

Maybe spoiled. Fugo's backstory was changed a bit and expanded on, so maybe they'll surprise us with new stuff with him.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
bruce1991 wrote:

For better and worse (mostly better I think), This Week in Anime is never scripted. It's formatted like a chatlog because that's exactly what it is, screencap trading in real-time and all. It's just meant to be low-key and pleasant text-based entertainment, and it's been doing well for us so far, so there's clearly a nice little audience for it.

Wait, wait... this stuff isn't scripted!? If that's true, you guys have surprised me! I mean, I trust you not to lie, so I'll just proceed under the impression that you guys are awesome.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dude literally unzips his heart in a bid to beat the enemy with the most badass display of laziness ever. "The fact that I'm not doing anything right now shows my resolve!"

This made me laugh because I hadn't considered that scene in that way before. I think that's going to become my mantra...
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I can appreciate Jojo for the memes, but haven't managed to sit through more than a couple of episodes. Not really sure why. I think it's just that "maximum limit-break 9001% anime with a side of anime" is only funny to me in small doses. Small being, like, about ten seconds.

louis6578 wrote:
Wait, wait... this stuff isn't scripted!? If that's true, you guys have surprised me! I mean, I trust you not to lie, so I'll just proceed under the impression that you guys are awesome.

I doubt they'd lie about that, but it's worth noting that "unscripted" does not necessarily mean "completely unplanned, unstructured, and unedited." It's obviously written in a back-and-forth conversational manner, so it couldn't be pre-scripted unless only one of the writers actually exists, but I'd have a much harder time believing it's literally a copy of a spontaneous chatlog; they almost certainly plan some topics and collect some screenshots ahead of time (independently), and some stuff likely gets cut or corrected before it shows up here.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Well yeah, of course they gather screencaps ahead of time and they know what topic they're going to discuss before they start. But that's it for preparation. Otherwise it's edited for clarity by myself after the fact, but the conversation itself just happens organically, and I don't ever make any major changes. So it's basically a mini-podcast in text form. These writers were chosen for the column because they were already good at this kind of back-and-forth discussion on Twitter.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I do remember reading that Fugo left the gang because his stand was too difficult to write battles around. But honestly not sure if that's true or just misinformation.

Honestly read Part 5 when I was in middle-school and it seems like a lot of the information around it might be a bit off. Was kind of disappointed that White Album's ability to bring temperatures down to "Absolute Zero" was some scanlator making things up. It appeals to the middle-schooler in me.

What I do know is that the original plot-line for Fugo was that he was going to betray Bruno and Giogio would've killed him. But Araki really hated the idea of writing that so it turned into the scene on the boat instead.

Anyways, somebody linked me to the primary source here. It's from the last volume of the arc, but it doesn't have plot spoilers beyond the latest episode covered here. Does shine some light on the thematic elements of the series though.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-liTa9M14_eLUdlbS1pbDBMR0U/view

Would've been an interesting direction. Guess I'm glad Araki didn't go there. Been reading Purple Haze Feedback and it's pretty good. Kohei Kadono's writing shines through the fan-translation. Hopefully it'll be made into an OVA at some point.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:23 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:

Anyways, somebody linked me to the primary source here. It's from the last volume of the arc, but it doesn't have plot spoilers beyond the latest episode covered here. Does shine some light on the thematic elements of the series though.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-liTa9M14_eLUdlbS1pbDBMR0U/view

I think it's mixture of this and him not knowing what to do with him. Araki kind of messed up by making him a genius with a broken Stand power. At least with Okuyasu, the excuse was that he was stupid who didn't use The Hand in the broken way he could have. And given the story there wasn't a way to avoid him fighting like you could in DiU with characters like Rohan.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:15 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I can appreciate Jojo for the memes, but haven't managed to sit through more than a couple of episodes. Not really sure why. I think it's just that "maximum limit-break 9001% anime with a side of anime" is only funny to me in small doses. Small being, like, about ten seconds.

louis6578 wrote:

I doubt they'd lie about that, but it's worth noting that "unscripted" does not necessarily mean "completely unplanned, unstructured, and unedited." It's obviously written in a back-and-forth conversational manner, so it couldn't be pre-scripted unless only one of the writers actually exists, but I'd have a much harder time believing it's literally a copy of a spontaneous chatlog; they almost certainly plan some topics and collect some screenshots ahead of time (independently), and some stuff likely gets cut or corrected before it shows up here.

For what it's worth, I'm friends with everyone who does TWIA and they really do talk like that.

When you spend a lot of time discussing and thinking about media, it's honestly not that uncommon for conversations to go more or less like that - everyone is expressing fairly well-formed, coherent ideas bouncing off one another semi-spontaneously. Your brain is used to engaging in this level of discussion, so it's not really difficult to do it naturally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2