• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation Novels Get Anime Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
About time!

I hope we get some more info from Anime Japan later this month on this. Hopefully they give this a decent amount of episodes since the novel has a ton of chapters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:37 am Reply with quote
...Uh, wow. I know it was a gigantic hit online, but an anime for a webnovel that ended almost four years ago now? I mean, sure, the light novel version is still coming out, but that started publication in early 2014. (The article says April, but the Japanese Wikipedia says January?) That's a pretty long wait for these things -- it means we can expect the light-novel-to-anime period to be even longer than Shield Hero's was. (I'm not the only one who doubted, mind you.)

I'm kinda curious to see how they'll handle the beginning, seeing as it takes two whole volumes for anything to actually happen. (And also how people will react to the isekai truck being played dead straight -- in fact, I think this may have been the exact story KonoSuba's opening was parodying.) Assuming it's a TV anime, how many of the 20+ volumes can realistically be covered in two cours?

Anyway, the Narou anime list keeps getting longer:

Mahouka: Debuted 2008-10-12.
Log Horizon: Debuted 2010-04-13.
Knight's & Magic: Debuted 2010-10-16.
-Isekai Cheat Magician: Debuted 2012-04-06.
Re:Zero: Debuted 2012-04-20.
Isekai Izakaya "Nobu": Debuted 2012-10-18.
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Debuted 2012-10-29.
-Mushoku Tensei: Debuted 2012-11-22.
KonoSuba: Debuted 2012-12-20.
Restaurant to Another World: Debuted 2013-01-04.
Reincarnated as a Slime: Debuted 2013-02-20.
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody: Debuted 2013-03-03.
Isekai Smartphone: Debuted 2013-04-08.
-Eighth Son: Debuted 2013-06-01.
-Ascendance of a Bookworm: Debuted 2013-09-23.
-Arifureta: Debuted 2013-11-07.
-My Next Life as a Villainess: Debuted 2014-07-06.
-UchiMusume: Debuted 2014-08-01.
-The Magi's Grandson: Debuted 2015-01-02.
-So I'm a Spider, So What?: Debuted 2015-05-27.
-Infinite Dendrogram: Debuted 2015-10-10.
-Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!: Debuted 2016-01-14.
-I'll Max Out VIT: Debuted 2016-06-28.
-Demon Lord, Retry!: Debuted 2016-10-10.
I Want to Eat Your Pancreas: Debuted 20??-??-?? (no original URL for the story known, would appreciate if anyone can find a blog post or something that linked to it while it was still online; I can figure out the date from the URL).

I'm starting to consider making a whole spreadsheet out of this list -- web debut, light novel debut, anime debut, and possibly the intervals so you can get a sense of what stories hit milestones faster than others.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
Nice. I read about 20 chapters or so and enjoyed it enough to pick it up when it came here (though I haven't gotten around to starting it again...) so I'm looking forward to seeing it animated =)
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:27 am Reply with quote
It will be VERY difficult novel to adapt, or should I say, it is tremendously challenging to translate this work seamlesssly into weekly TV anime format, due to how long the novel spend its time on set-up and expositions. As one of the earliest “iseikai-reincarnation” web novels, there is a good reason why this work took this long to get an anime project.

Finger crossed that they somehow find a way to adapt this work without making it rushed or generic.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote
Holy Molly

I never tought i would see the day where this series will get an anime, Im half excited but also half worried. Out of all isekai i have read this one is probably one of the most detailed and well written there is but it is cause of that detail that is really hard to adapt as unlike most stories this one is written like one big biography and there is always some new development and it will be really difficult to adapt depending on the number of episodes it will get. It would need at least 50 to adapt all of the mc childhood stage.

we shall see
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

I'm kinda curious to see how they'll handle the beginning, seeing as it takes two whole volumes for anything to actually happen.

They could always take the Knight's & Magic approach and speed through the early parts and explain sections with narration. I'm not saying that is the best approach, but it is one method.

Quote:
(And also how people will react to the isekai truck being played dead straight -- in fact, I think this may have been the exact story KonoSuba's opening was parodying.)

When I read that part, I thought, "Truck-kun strikes again!"

It makes me wonder what anime will do in the future when self-driving trucks that no longer have inattentive/speeding drivers exist.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
When I read that part, I thought, "Truck-kun strikes again!"

The whole "Truck-kun" meme, as far as I could tell when I last investigated, started circulating around the English-speaking Internet in 2015, prompted by Fuuka, shortly before the fan translation of Mushoku Tensei started becoming popular and the meme started being applied to isekai stories.

I've only found a few Japanese reincarnation fantasy stories that predate Mushoku Tensei, like Re:Monster (May 2011) and K&M (October 2010), and I don't know if any of them triggered their deaths with a traffic accident. I honestly think MT -- which probably took the idea from Yu Yu Hakusho, or else something that YYH influenced or was influenced by -- might be the source of that stereotype of isekai fiction. Certainly it was one of the most popular reincarnation fantasy webnovels to date, and one of the first to get translated into English.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:25 am Reply with quote
OK, but I will not be excited, until I see the studio, the cast and the length of episodes because this will depend a lot on how they adapt, since it will be very difficult for them to do it well considering how long the introduction to the story, it would be very bad that they will skip their childhood, the way he tried to get where he is, all this in order to go to action and fights. already grown, with his harem already formed.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
It will be VERY difficult novel to adapt, or should I say, it is tremendously challenging to translate this work seamlesssly into weekly TV anime format, due to how long the novel spend its time on set-up and expositions. As one of the earliest “iseikai-reincarnation” web novels, there is a good reason why this work took this long to get an anime project.

Finger crossed that they somehow find a way to adapt this work without making it rushed or generic.

is really the most difficult part of adapting of an isekai above all because many people already tired of listening to huge exposition about the configuration of the world and of magic this was also what spoil Tensura with the extremely dense beginning what I take away a lot of public especially for people who were already fed up with the genre, only reminded them of bad past works that did the same
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, we get to see a grown man slobber over loli elf pissing on the big screen.
ZArs96

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

I'm kinda curious to see how they'll handle the beginning, seeing as it takes two whole volumes for anything to actually happen. (And also how people will react to the isekai truck being played dead straight -- in fact, I think this may have been the exact story KonoSuba's opening was parodying.) Assuming it's a TV anime, how many of the 20+ volumes can realistically be covered in two cours?

I think 25 eps. to adapt the first 6 volumes would be the best way to do it. A bit rushed, but with double length episodes for the first and last one... that way it would fit perfectly, of course taking for granted they will skip minor details, like worldbuilding, magic lore, the Lilia POV (altough that was very funny both in the novel and manga).
Shay Guy wrote:

I'm starting to consider making a whole spreadsheet out of this list -- web debut, light novel debut, anime debut, and possibly the intervals so you can get a sense of what stories hit milestones faster than others.

Yes please, that would be very helpful
jl07045

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Oh boy, we get to see a grown man slobber over loli elf pissing on the big screen.

bonus for getting turned on from his 'parents' having sex
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
So what's new about this beside sharing the same tag (ecchi harem) like every others of its ilk got?
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
So what's new about this beside sharing the same tag (ecchi harem) like every others of its ilk got?

Well, the MC is really decadent. And I mean, really decadent. So that's kind of new-ish?

It was a really popular web novel, and it's going to 100% rub tons of people the wrong way, and for good reason.
GhostOfShowsPast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The MC is one of the reason I dropped it, he was supposed to originally be an adult butwas way too perverted and did stuff like stealing panties and treating them like treasure and grooming young girls his mental age seemed to be worse than his body age and I couldn't stand him.
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
GhostOfShowsPast wrote:
The MC is one of the reason I dropped it, he was supposed to originally be an adult butwas way too perverted and did stuff like stealing panties and treating them like treasure and grooming young girls his mental age seemed to be worse than his body age and I couldn't stand him.

Considering he creeps on girls from when he's a baby... not surprising at all. Doubly so, with his actions the day when he originally dies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2