• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rumiko Takahashi Launches MAO Manga Series in May

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 am Reply with quote
"A strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate." Might wanna be more specific in Rumiko's case.
Negafox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"A strange romance between a boy and girl who meet by fate." Might wanna be more specific in Rumiko's case.

What? We also got this detail to help differentiate from the previous two series:

Quote:
The story is set in a "land where two worlds intersect,"
melmouth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku was one of my three GREAT early finds in the world of manga in the period 2008-2014 (the others being Angel Densetsu and Strawberry 100%), so I will surely check this new one by her out.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
And he will be voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi in the inevitable anime adaptation. Cool

But seriously, are all of Rumiko's series masterpieces? No. Are they all kinda similar? Sure. But they're all so fun to read/watch, and they have such memorable characters, they're hard to resist. I'll take her stuff over almost anything else coming out today, so bring this on. It's amazing that she's still working after over 40 years of drawing manga.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Sooooooooo... Rinne 2.0?
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, though I'll definitely need more specifics (since the basic description makes me think of an old bone eater's well).

And also, every time I see an article describing Takahashi Rumiko's body of work, I always see "three decades". Her first major series (Urusei Yatsura) started in Nov. 1978 in Japan, and her first major published work, Kattena Yatsura, was put out in August of that year.

So it's been slightly more than FOUR decades at this point.
meronichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
But seriously, are all of Rumiko's series masterpieces? No. Are they all kinda similar? Sure. But they're all so fun to read/watch, and they have such memorable characters, they're hard to resist. I'll take her stuff over almost anything else coming out today, so bring this on. It's amazing that she's still working after over 40 years of drawing manga.

Takahashi is starting to feel pretty standard. Still, what a standard it is. Nearly all of her works are your usual "boy meets girl" tales, so you know what to expect more or less going in, with a few minor twists. Her main strength lies in creating unique characters that are endearing to the reader, so even if the setup feels familiar, you stick around for their interactions which remain consistently entertaining. She seems comfortable working within both the comedic and dramatic realms, which is impressive.

There's no denying that Takahashi has had a huge impact on the medium of manga at large. Like you said, it's nice to see that she's been consistently creating new series after such a long time and has maintained such a solid fanbase,...especially with so many others continuously going on hiatus and not even finishing one series. I can't necessarily call her one of my favorite mangaka, but I will admit I am excited to see that she is still coming out with new titles.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
These are all the same, aren´t they. The promo pic alone says it all. Fire Tripper (1978) is about to get remade again. It was one of the first Isekai btw. Is that why the genre is cursed?
Me and Rumiko agree on exactly 2 things in life. Real men have ponytails and RL marriage ain´t worth it. She should maybe make manga about the 2nd thing, or anything else that isn´t another Inuyasha, or Ranma or Ranma meets Inuyasha...
Edit: And yes, this will get an anime. And yes, Kappei Yamaguchi will be feature in a prominent role. Am i in a time loop?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
You mean 'not Inuyasha?'
Serinox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Sooooooooo... Rinne 2.0?

No, apparently, the description means romance in a Greek epic/heroic tale kind of way, not the classic romcom stuff. As stated by a translator on Twitter:
Quote:
I should note the "romance" in this series is more like...uh, not the love-love kind, but the "heroic tale of epic proportions" type that you'd see in like Greek epics. (Not saying this is going to be a greek epic.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
meronichan wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Takahashi is starting to feel pretty standard. Still, what a standard it is. Nearly all of her works are your usual "boy meets girl" tales, so you know what to expect more or less going in, with a few minor twists. Her main strength lies in creating unique characters that are endearing to the reader, so even if the setup feels familiar, you stick around for their interactions which remain consistently entertaining. She seems comfortable working within both the comedic and dramatic realms, which is impressive.

She has a great central sense of humor, mostly around the ability for (male) characters to end up in embarrassing situations, for "cute" girls to be not as cute as they think they are, or for "formal" enemies--like Shutaro Mendou, or Ranma's strange-enemy-dojo-of-the-week--to be too idiosyncratically silly to be taken as seriously as they want to be.
When that first hit the US with Urusei back in the college-club days, we hadn't seen anything like it--Just the completely natural and ingrained Japanese familiarity with embarrassment and silliness was nothing like our Western need to be conventionally sitcom about it.

Problem is, she seems to have developed a bit of a JK Rowling ego about her own success, and doesn't really take her stories as seriously anymore.
UY and Maison were great character ensembles, and Ranma 1/2 was the obvious spinoff from Ryuunusuke taking over the later UY series, but InuYasha quickly sank into the rote of "Fight serial", and it's been hard for Rumiko to dig herself out of that again.
Like one poster says, it's pretty much going to be Rin-ne 2.0 in another IY setting.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Always nice to see what she has next. After something lighter and fluffier with Rinne, I wonder if she's going into more serious territory.
meronichan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Problem is, she seems to have developed a bit of a JK Rowling ego about her own success, and doesn't really take her stories as seriously anymore.
UY and Maison were great character ensembles, and Ranma 1/2 was the obvious spinoff from Ryuunusuke taking over the later UY series, but InuYasha quickly sank into the rote of "Fight serial", and it's been hard for Rumiko to dig herself out of that again.
Like one poster says, it's pretty much going to be Rin-ne 2.0 in another IY setting.

Yeah. I definitely prefer her pre-InuYasha works by far. That's why I had to say she isn't one of my favorites. I was a bigger fan back in the day, but nowadays I don't much pay attention to her series, since they're more or less stuck in that whirlpool, like you said. I mean, maybe this one might be different, but just judging from the synopsis,....not expecting much.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
It is going to be a tad amusing if MAO turns out to be Inuyasha but with a Demon Lord. It wouldn't be surprising since it has been a recent trend and there at least a dozen light novels and manga featuring a Demon Lord that in terms of genre include adventure, comedy, drama, and romance.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
If later rumors from last year are correct, this will have quite a bit more horror.

Rumiko's horror is underapreciated and I would be really glad to see her getting us some creepy stuff again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2