• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Unveils Sailor Moon Stars Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get my fantasy casting of Mona Marshall as Taiki but the English VA for Kurapica is a good choice. I think Carrie would work well as Galaxia if she plays her with her Casca voice from Berserk. I'm mainly familiar with Sarah Williams as Sayaka from Madoka and Lisbeth from SAO so I don't know how I feel about her as Yaten until I see a clip. And Melissa Hutchinson seems to be mostly new to anime but she seems to have done a lot of video game voice acting. Sheh is a perfect fit for Chibi Chibi given manga spoilers and Kotono was Chibi Chibi in the 90s anime as well. I'm really excited for this dub and I can't wait to finally own it after all these years.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:48 am Reply with quote
It still feels surreal that Sailor Stars is finally getting an English dub. But better late than never. Still, it's a season that I have some rather mixed feelings on that will be discussed in great length once it gets reviewed over here.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I didn't get my fantasy casting of Mona Marshall as Taiki but the English VA for Kurapica is a good choice. I think Carrie would work well as Galaxia if she plays her with her Casca voice from Berserk. I'm mainly familiar with Sarah Williams as Sayaka from Madoka and Lisbeth from SAO so I don't know how I feel about her as Yaten until I see a clip. And Melissa Hutchinson seems to be mostly new to anime but she seems to have done a lot of video game voice acting. Sheh is a perfect fit for Chibi Chibi given manga spoilers and Kotono was Chibi Chibi in the 90s anime as well. I'm really excited for this dub and I can't wait to finally own it after all these years.

Melissa is mostly known for Clementine in The Walking Dead games,but she's not exactly new to anime.She was Chise in Saikano years ago.
She was from Bay Area(where Telltale recorded most of their games,which is why she was in a lot of their games.The Bay Area talent pool is kinda underused but notable voice-actors like Roger Jackson,Terrence McGovern and Charles Martinet work there.) but must have moved out thanks to Walking Dead giving her career a huge boost.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:20 am Reply with quote
Awwww, I was really hoping they'd cast Casey Mongillo as Seiya or at least one of the Sailor Starlights. Oh well. I'm sure everyone will do a great job.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 am Reply with quote
I wish I was excited about this, but I'm mainly buying the blu Ray just to add it to my collection.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Melissa Hutchison as Sailor Star Fighter

Melissa Hutchison directed and voiced Katie in the Yo-kai Watch dub on Disney
hikura

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear that this is finally getting released. Is there a sub release of the series?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
They are all bilingual releases.
hikura

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
They are all bilingual releases.

Thank you for that. I thought they would be but wasn’t 100% sure of it.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
Erika's already won me over with her reaction to Maker's Star Gentle Uterus attack Laughing : https://twitter.com/ErikaHarlacher/status/1127993261098971137

Some good additions to the cast (Sarah's a fantastic actress :heart:), and an especially interesting choice in Star Fighter's VA. Nice to have someone who doesn't do a lot of anime for a change of pace. I was hoping for a fresh voice for Galaxia (Carrie already voiced the Kisenian Blossom in the R redub), but a good choice nonetheless.

Hope we don't have to wait too long for the rest of the cast. A dub trailer would also be nice.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
So I remember a lot of controversy about the poor video quality from the first series release years ago. Did they ever fix that or is it still an issue.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear that English speaking fans can finally watch Sailor Stars dubbed. Better late than never.
I'm not surprised that the Sailor Starlights are only voiced by women like in the original Japanese version, because some international dubs had female actresses when they were in their true forms as the Starlights and male actors when they were pretending to be the Three Lights. But to my knowledge in the manga they only dressed as men, while in the anime they physically changed into men, so I don't think it was a bad decision when some dubs, like in the Neurtal Spanish one, they gave them female and male voices. It's going to be interesting how Viz's actresses will portray the Starlights in their real and civilian identities.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
So I remember a lot of controversy about the poor video quality from the first series release years ago. Did they ever fix that or is it still an issue.

Video was still an issue with R. I am not sure about S. I don't remember glaring issues with Super S. I imagine that Sailor Stars should have good quality. I imagine that the video on the subsequent BD's was less bad because of the age of the episodes, not so much because Viz Media decided to proactively fix it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Nice to hear that English speaking fans can finally watch Sailor Stars dubbed. Better late than never.
I'm not surprised that the Sailor Starlights are only voiced by women like in the original Japanese version, because some international dubs had female actresses when they were in their true forms as the Starlights and male actors when they were pretending to be the Three Lights. But to my knowledge in the manga they only dressed as men, while in the anime they physically changed into men, so I don't think it was a bad decision when some dubs, like in the Neurtal Spanish one, they gave them female and male voices. It's going to be interesting how Viz's actresses will portray the Starlights in their real and civilian identities.
The original Korean dub made the Starlights women the entire time and gave them female VAs for both their civilian and Starlight identities. Melissa Hutchinson also seemed to confirm on Twitter that they are dubbing the Three Light songs in English. https://twitter.com/melyhutch/status/1128071620256387072
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
So happy to finally have an English dub of the final season. So it'll be all new to me, so can't wait to get my hands on this season.

I wish they were able to dub the songs on the other seasons. Never understood why they weren't allowed to do so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2