• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Confirms English Dub for Domestic Girlfriend Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:52 am Reply with quote
[If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't post. ~Zalis]
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 am Reply with quote
Well it sure would be nice if the poster would at least explain what it is they are trying to say simply posting endless dots does nothing to start a conversation. It leaves others wondering what the issue is. Is the show not worthy of a dub or is it there were so many better shows why is this getting one? What about could it be the poster does not like Hidive? I have nothing personnel against any one on this site. Needless to say I can't read minds so what is the point of starting a thread with dots. To me it is spam and it is not really polite , not relevant, and not on topic. Rolling Eyes
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:06 am Reply with quote
Mugen1style wrote:
Well it sure would be nice if the poster would at least explain what it is they are trying to say simply posting endless dots does nothing to start a conversation. It leaves others wondering what the issue is. Is the show not worthy of a dub or is it there were so many better shows why is this getting one? What about could it be the poster does not like Hidive? I have nothing personnel against any one on this site. Needless to say I can't read minds so what is the point of starting a thread with dots. To me it is spam and it is not really polite , not relevant, and not on topic. Rolling Eyes

I mean I'm also pretty sure I understand their reaction as well.

The original poster is free to correct if I'm wrong. It's just one of those series where there's not really anything to say at this news for some people. They're simply flabbergasted and in awe at the absurdity of this series getting a dub. Which translates into dots as a form of silence. Dots are a response that's in general meant to empathize concern through silence. Maybe worry and surprise.

Hopefully I've hit the mark here.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
^ pretty much that.

I don't know what to think either, considering the content of the series.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
eh, it happens. sometimes shows just perform a lot better than what you think they will.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
I suspected that this show was getting a dub, but I was not completely sure. As far as whether this title deserves a dub, Domestic Girlfriend has salacious content. And last time I checked sex sells. I would have been more perplexing if Sentai did not dub this show.

And another thing, Funimation has dubbed plenty of salacious and raunchy anime, and I don't seem much fuss over it. Why is Sentai singled out as the stupid company?
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I suspected that this show was getting a dub, but I was not completely sure. As far as whether this title deserves a dub, Domestic Girlfriend has salacious content. And last time I checked sex sells. I would have been more perplexing if Sentai did not dub this show.

And another thing, Funimation has dubbed plenty of salacious and raunchy anime, and I don't seem much fuss over it. Why is Sentai singled out as the stupid company?

Wait where are you getting this from? Who said anything about Sentai? Personally I have no problem with ecchi/fan-service or sexual themed anime getting dubbed. I don't really have a horse in this particular race with this series, but I think people just don't know what to say about this specific series getting a dub.

From what I know it's not the fact that this series is raunchy and sexual, it's more so that the writing and how it handles those themes isn't particularly good. More so than usual at least.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
I was expecting Sentai to dub this eventually, so not surprised.

Looking forward to seeing who they cast.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Mugen1style wrote:

The original poster is free to correct if I'm wrong. It's just one of those series where there's not really anything to say at this news for some people. They're simply flabbergasted and in awe at the absurdity of this series getting a dub. Which translates into dots as a form of silence. Dots are a response that's in general meant to empathize concern through silence. Maybe worry and surprise.

Yep, you did. Sorry for causing commotion, guys.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
From what I know it's not the fact that this series is raunchy and sexual, it's more so that the writing and how it handles those themes isn't particularly good. More so than usual at least.

Actually, I'm not sure I'd agree with that. There is definitely some decent writing here, and several actually extremely touching scenes. It's more that the *premise* is salacious, scandalous, and a bit trashy...

You might think of it more as a telenovela or soap opera. There's a lot of melodrama occurring, but also a lot of just plain drama (and some great comedic moments)... The characterization is mostly pretty good, although to try to reach the end of a major story arc in the (200 volume) manga they end up compressing a lot in the second half, which hurts some of the secondary character development and does go a bit skimpy on earning one specific story beat.

Coming into it from Gigguk's analysis, I found it a more-tasteful-than-you'd-expect character study where you just kind of hope for the best for all the characters.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

If by “stupid” you mean “content-sensitive”, I’d say that’s more Aniplex. Sentai does it as well, but they don’t dub as much as the other two so it’s rarely noticeable. As for Funimation, they’re on the opposite side of the spectrum: they dub practically everything, and until recently they also had far more freedom to do whatever they want, salacious or otherwise.
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
Mugen1style wrote:

Yep, you did. Sorry for causing commotion, guys.

I am sorry as well for adding to the commotion I meant nothing personnel by it. As far as the show goes I am trying to finish it which has been difficult I am not offended by the content really, it is what it is. At the end of the day taboo content aside it is a love story which I am generally a sucker for. The short form of the series just isn't enough time to really get the story out. It lacks character development it has been hard to like any of them. The only thing that makes me want to finish it is to see the raw emotion of it. Just wish I could feel a bit more empathy for the characters but the development has been on the weak side. as far as getting a dub if they can make money with it then more power to them. If it means they can stay in business so I can watch dubs of good shows down the line then it is a win imo.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:23 am Reply with quote
This is the kind of series where I don't even remember if I saw the last episode... it needs more episodes before I can say if it really needs a dub.

The character designs are there, the characters really aren't...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1