• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX Part 1 Limited Edition BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:25 am Reply with quote
02 really was the best part of the first half, and a big reason why I kept watching even when it was apparent they were taking entirely too long to reveal what this show was up to. And then they did, and haha...oh boy...
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
So did anyone eventually figure out what the doggy style “piloting” position was supposed to represent?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
So did anyone eventually figure out what the doggy style “piloting” position was supposed to represent?

Hummm I'm gonna go on a limb here and say sex. Yeah I think it was suppose to represent sex. (the series wasn't exactly what you'd call subtle)
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this show got a home release, differently one of the best of 2018 along with SSSS.Gridman(also made by Trigger).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Glad to see this show got a home release

The fact that Funimation simuldubbed this show pretty much GUARANTEED that it was getting a disc release.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I almost dropped this series in the first half, thankfully the 2nd half got a lot more interesting to watch. Kokoro is best girl ❤
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

It was partially to represent sex but more importantly forced sexuality. It was used to demonstrate why forced sexuality on unknowing, sometimes unwilling teenagers provided understandably mixed consequences.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
when one of the girls fails at an attempt to sync with another girl, this opens its own long-standing can of worms about the series' stance on same-sex attraction

If you pay attention to that scene, you'll notice a few things:

There's a gauge for each character that has to go up to sync. The gauge has numbers beside it that indicate whose it is. In the scene in question, the gauge goes up for 196 / Ikuno to the normal sync level but does not go up at all for 015 / Ichigo.

In the particular scene, Ikuno is in the stereotypical male position while Ichigo is in the female position. This rules out the explanation that the reason that Ikuno's gauge went up while Ichigo's did not is because Ikuno was in the "proper" receiving pistil position while Ichigo was not. In fact, Ikuno's went up while occupying the stamen position.

Therefore, it seems reasonable to conclude that same-sex attraction with the robots is perfectly possible, the only problem is that Ikuno is bisexual whereas Ichigo is not. Ikuno could certainly have achieved sync with another female character who was actually attracted to her.

(If you observe the Nines characters, you will also see that their stamens and pistils switch positions, as well as avoid gendered behaviors.)

The most we can say about the series' stance on same-sex attraction is that it posits that some people are attracted to the same sex while others are not. We can also say that they do not present any characters who have exclusively same-sex attraction, but then again the harsh totalitarian training techniques for the Parasites would presumably eliminate any such candidates. (Not make that right, obviously, it's an oppressive state.)
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I do not remember well this anime, perhaps it existed or was it just a compilation of many famous scenes from the gainax animes? Razz
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Part 1 has the good sense to end just before the series becomes historically, genre-definingly terrible. It's honestly best to just stop here and imagine your own ending based on your preferred headcanon. Whatever you come up with is bound to make more sense than the ending they actually made.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
You can tell when all the Trigger talent left to make Gridman and left the show rather aimless and with an ending that is...something.

And it’s still about a billion times better than Voltron Legendary Defender so it can’t even take home the worst mecha show of the year award.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first half of this series, but then it just fell apart. It seems like it's been a long time between drinks, since I last enjoyed an anime that Trigger has brought out...Gridman was another one that started off well, and then fell flat.

I keep giving them a chance, but I think that the last anime from Trigger that I enjoyed was Space Patrol Luluco...even that one got a bit shaky towards the end. I'd say the series I did like from start to finish was When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace, and that also happens to be the only Trigger series that is an adaption that I've seen (I think).

Trigger is in the same boat as PA Works for me. Both have, seemingly, lots of fans that truly love what they release...but I feel like I just can't connect with some of their more recent releases. But, I still try them out, only because each studio as 1 series that I truly enjoyed (PA works has multiple, though wrong girl won in True Tears.).
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone said before me Franxx started with some promise, but it just fell apart way too quickly in the second half (Butt Controls should be mandatory in every mech anime now, no debate).

To me, Trigger hasn't made anything as good as Kill la Kill yet (though LWA is a close second).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I enjoyed the first half of this series, but then it just fell apart. It seems like it's been a long time between drinks, since I last enjoyed an anime that Trigger has brought out...Gridman was another one that started off well, and then fell flat.

I keep giving them a chance, but I think that the last anime from Trigger that I enjoyed was Space Patrol Luluco...even that one got a bit shaky towards the end. I'd say the series I did like from start to finish was When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace, and that also happens to be the only Trigger series that is an adaption that I've seen (I think).

Trigger is in the same boat as PA Works for me. Both have, seemingly, lots of fans that truly love what they release...but I feel like I just can't connect with some of their more recent releases. But, I still try them out, only because each studio as 1 series that I truly enjoyed (PA works has multiple, though wrong girl won in True Tears.).

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
To me, Trigger hasn't made anything as good as Kill la Kill yet (though LWA is a close second).

You're free to your opinions about Trigger and its works, but Franxx was a co-production with A-1/CloverWorks and Trigger only made 6 of the 24 episodes, only one of which was in the second half (episodes 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 to be specific), and its staff weren't really involved with the overall direction of the story. To call it (just) a Trigger anime seems like a misnomer to me, and a bit facile.

Wyvern wrote:
Part 1 has the good sense to end just before the series becomes historically, genre-definingly terrible. It's honestly best to just stop here and imagine your own ending based on your preferred headcanon. Whatever you come up with is bound to make more sense than the ending they actually made

This is just the sort of cheap hyperbole that flows too easily these days, such that calling something the worst or whatever is almost to the point of losing any meaning beyond "I did not think this show was good". Really, this is nowhere near stuff like Brain Powerd, Wings of Rean, or Garzey's Wing, stuff that is really historically, genre definingly bad (in the case of the latter, medium definingly bad). I dare say Franxx made a whole lot more sense than much of the plot of G-Reco. But enough about the works of Tomino. Really, I don't think it is hard to find worse anime or mecha anime specifically, and I think we can stand to be a bit more nuanced and not grab at easy hyperbole so often.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Let's not kid ourselves -- all the "hate" directed at this show is based on one simple fact: The moral is "Japan's birthrate is dropping like a D3A with its wings shot off; there is only one viable solution to this, and it flies in the face of all Modern Social Theory". To the sort of Americans who watch anime for the most part, this is Anathema; and merely espousing such ideas requires the espouser be shouted down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3