• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nichijou Anime's Video Reveals English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm still of the belief that Nichijou is a show that doesn't need a dub (mostly because a lot of the jokes are rooted in Japanese wordplay and conventions) so I more than likely wont doubt le dip, but kudos to those that wanted it.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I've been waiting for: a dub of Nichijou. Anime hyper
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I myself don't need one but I would share it so fast with anyone if I had the dub. But I'm torn... do I really bother double-dipping? I NEVER double dip for a dub. Maybe in a year and half and Rightstuff is selling it for $10 in the holiday sale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I didn’t know this was going to happen. The clip sounds great. I’ll likely rewatch the series with the dub eventually as I initially envisioned myself doing back when I first heard of Nichijou.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Woo, it's finally happening!
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Kinda weird for a show that took years to even make it stateside. At this point anyone would would want to watch it already bough the sub version. How many of them will bother buying it a second time? I guess maybe it's aimed at streaming to pad the catalog.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
If this gets a UK release, or even just a region A/B blu-ray I'm probably going to end up buying it, one of my friends used to rave about it and I've meant to see it for years.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:13 pm Reply with quote
And this didn't happen 2 years ago, because? I'd understand if it was a license transition or an old show being put onto a new format (like first time Bluray) or even just a release a few months apart. But this is a shameless double dip if I ever saw one.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
And this didn't happen 2 years ago, because? I'd understand if it was a license transition or an old show being put onto a new format (like first time Bluray) or even just a release a few months apart. But this is a shameless double dip if I ever saw one.

The demand more than likely wasnt high enough. Besides Funi isnt the only company to have done this, Sentai rereleases older shows with dubs all the time. You know you dont have to buy it right?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

The demand more than likely wasnt high enough. Besides Funi isnt the only company to have done this, Sentai rereleases older shows with dubs all the time. You know you dont have to buy it right?

The demand wasn't high? It was the only sub only show to crack the anime top ten on Amazon.

I think it's more likely that Kyo Ani just didn't care so they didn't give Funimation the sound effects and music only track. Around the same time Funimation got this show, they also licensed and dubbed Hyouka... which promptly got its butt kicked in sales when compared to Nichijou. And while Haruhi performed well, Lucky Star is now part of their budget line so maybe there are things like karma and justice after all.

Still, I think the real reason for the dub is streaming.... and yeah, the show finally was added to Funimation's site sine the last time I checked. It's just a matter of time then for the dub. I imagine that they'll follow Sentai's pattern of offering one dubbed episode a week like it was a new series.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I really like the voice on the Professor.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:09 am Reply with quote
The voicecasting seems good so far, even if Nano and Hakase sound a little too close to each other. So glad I haven't gotten the previous release, now I can have both. Yay!!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:39 am Reply with quote
ANy link to the video as Funimation once again blocked it.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
While the clips so far have impressed me (Yuuko especially), it's going to take more than an English dub to get me to double-dip. Is it really so hard to get a few of the Japanese bonus features stateside?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1