• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Rank Megumi Ogata's Anime Roles for Her Birthday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Happy birthday to Megumi Ogata who is still one of my favorite Japanese voice actresses! I'm surprised her performance as Yugi Mutou ranked so high since I was always under the impression the Toei Yugioh didn't do that well in Japan but I'm glad to see her take on Yugi scoring so well. As for me my top favorite rankings of the roles I've seen her in are:
1. Haruka Tenoh
2. Yukito/Yue
3. Shinji
4. Yami Yugi
5. Princess Emeraude
6. Kurama
7. Petz
8. Eagle Vision
9. Masaya Aoyama
10. Ayato
Psajdak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember how she sounded as normal Yugi, but I do remember that I absolutely loved her performance as Yami Yugi in first series.

She gave him such dark, mysterious presence, it was insane how she was good as Yami.

So much, that when I tried to start second, more popular Yu Gi Oh! series, when I heard Shunsuke Kazama as Yugi, I just had to abandon the entire anime, I just didn't like it.

Maybe I'll give it another chance one day.

Btw, few years ago I watched every Jigoku Sensei Nube anime, including movie from 1996.
In it Ogata borrowed her voice to the type of character she usually don't voice - rather young girl.
Her name is Kumiko Ijima, and she sounded absolutely perfect, while also so different from how most girls her age in anime sound, that is who are voiced by other female seiyu.

https://myanimelist.net/character/40781/Kumiko_Ijima

Character (as well as thousands others on MAL) added by yours truly.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Medaka Box's character is named "Misogi Kumagawa", not "Magawa"

I can't decide much, but I've hated pretty much all her male roles in the last 10 years.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I don't remember how she sounded as normal Yugi, but I do remember that I absolutely loved her performance as Yami Yugi in first series.

She gave him such dark, mysterious presence, it was insane how she was good as Yami.

So much, that when I tried to start second, more popular Yu Gi Oh! series, when I heard Shunsuke Kazama as Yugi, I just had to abandon the entire anime, I just didn't like it.

Maybe I'll give it another chance one day.

Yugi had more of a squeaky childish voice in his normal form which fit how he was portrayed in the Toei show. Kazama's take on Yami takes a bit to get used to after Ogata but I think it works better for the way Yami is portrayed in Duel Monsters as a more heroic character than his more darker persona in the Toei show.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 pm Reply with quote
One of my all-time favorite seiyuu, loved her most as Kurama, Shinji, Komaeda, Yugi and so many more characters I'm probably forgetting. Her boyish demeanor is literally unparalleled among female seiyuu doing male roles.
ShinraDog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
My favorite role of her's is Komaeda. Her voice made me love him.
Warukyure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:26 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, UFO Princess Valkyrie didn't make the list...

Feels like no one remembers she was in that anime, despite it getting like 3 seasons and half a dozen OVAs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1