• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is We Never Learn: BOKUBEN Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I like the term “Oatmeal-kun “. Can we now use it officially for bland self insert rom-com characters?
TheJaceX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The manga for this is half-decent. I don't know if the anime fucked it up or what.
Also the short romanized name has been BokuBen since the manga debuted, dunno how you missed that.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But where The Quints had things like character development, interpersonal drama, and a cohesive gimmick, WNL is comprised almost entirely of stock harem nonsense. Like hey, why not dedicate half an episode to a skit about one of the girls forgetting her bra? That's a good use of our time, right?

WNL does have that, it just takes a while to get to that point. The beginning part is 4/10, but later it gets up to 7/10 in quality
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
So I haven't seen BOKUBEN, but... apparently they wrote me into an anime? Rizu is my spitting image, pouty face and all. (I'm not that short, but I am the typical 150 cm that every other short girl in anime is, so close enough)

Dang it, if you're going use my likeness, why did it have to be a bland, nothing-but-fanservice harem show?? Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bennyl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Tropes are tropes because they are oatmeal for the mind. Quick to make and easy to digest. Not everything has to be Earth shatteringly original. Sometimes oatmeal is what you want to eat.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It fixes a lot of flaws from the original manga. I definitely think it’s worth watching, so I wholeheartedly disagree with this piece.

Also, I don’t get the love for Quintessential Quintuplets. I personally thought that anime was awful. Just because it was made by Tezuka Productions doesn’t mean it’s a masterpiece.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how you can praise garbage like the Quintuplets or Nisekoi but be so critical of the same stupid shit

"This pile of poop is 10/10! This identical pile of feces however, is just a 4/10!"

It makes no logical sense
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Also, I don’t get the love for Quintessential Quintuplets. I personally thought that anime was awful. Just because it was made by Tezuka Productions doesn’t mean it’s a masterpiece.

Most of us who love Quintuplets love it for the manga, which has only gotten better as it goes. People are grateful to the anime for bringing so many new fans to the series, but it mostly wasn't up to the quality of the source material, especially the mediocre production values and frequently off-model faces. In fact, the most common reaction from fans to the announcement about season 2 seemed to be, "That's great, now can we get a better studio to animate it this time?" (Shaft being the popular pick because they animated episode 11 as an outsource job and it looked noticeably better than the rest of the series).
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

lol I can tell you for sure that the animation was the last thing people will say when you ask them what they enjoyed about Quints. Aside from the one episode that was outsourced to Shaft, the anime did not look very good.

Anyway, We Never Learn and Nisekoi both love wasting your time with stupidity, but WNL at least sometimes follows up on it's ideas. Nisekoi pretended to go in an interesting direction then went the most predictable ending possible. Neither are really all that good unfortunately.

On the other hand, no one in WNL is better than half the girls in Nisekoi because Chitoge and Marika have very vibrant and colorful personalities and always steal the show. Onodera also isn't half-bad as far as her archetype goes.

On the other other hand, none of them compare to Nino, the queen among queens.

tl;dr You're better off reading Quints or Komi-san instead. Even Kaguya-sama even if it leans much harder on the comedy end of the romcom scale than the others do (where I'm at anyway).

MarthKoopa wrote:
I don't know how you can praise garbage like the Quintuplets or Nisekoi but be so critical of the same stupid shit

"This pile of poop is 10/10! This identical pile of feces however, is just a 4/10!"

Every genre has it's gems and acting like they're all the same when you've probably only watched a handful at most isn't very cash money of you.

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
as far as bland harems go I prefer futakoi, partially because it's the worse one (that is not offensive) and partially because ufo table made futakoi alternative which is a completely different beast.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My dude has all the personality and sex appeal of room temperature oatmeal.

That’s an understatement. All these male protags are starting to look as dull as dishwater. Confused
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

*Points to Harem Expert Badge*

It's all part of the job, folks.

For real though, it pretty much entirely comes down to the quality of the comedy and the chemistry of the characters. Nisekoi and Quints both manage (for me, at least) to have charming or engaging back-and-forth with their cast, where WNL just doesn't outside of Fumino and Asumi. While, like I mentioned, some other cast get better later on, I'm pretty confident saying the anime has so far adapted the weakest and most rote material from the original.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, they got Uruka being bad right at least. I groaned when she was first introduced, as that was when any chance of meaningfully exploring the studying conceit of bokuben went up in flames.

No mention of the OP, though? That rotoscoping's slick as hell.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Part of what makes people like one show and not another is always personal taste. Some people are turned off when the plot is driven by fanservice, others not so much.

Personally, I despise the "punch first, ask never" characters that appear too often in harem shows and can't understand the appeal. By episode 7ish of Toradora I didn't want to see Taiga do anything except be used as a stand in for Megumi in the big scene from Shiki, but apparently most Mangaka thinks best girl is decided by how abusive they are.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 pm Reply with quote
The early chapters of the manga had a bit of actual decent study advice bundled in, but that drops away pretty quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3