• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh VRAINS Anime Ends on September 25 After 120 Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad to see the show ending this soon since it's my understanding Yugioh shows usually end around spring and then the next show starts up immediately after. I wonder if it was always planned to be this short or if they had to end it early for some reason and what that reason was for? I am aware the show did seem to have some behind the scene production issues with a high number of recap episodes and I started to notice some off model character designs towards the end of season two. Though the animation seems to have picked up again during this final arc.

I've been enjoying the show in spite of it's issues and I'll miss these characters when they're gone especially Playmaker, Soulburner, and Ghost Girl who were my favorites. This was also the first Yugioh series I got to watch simulcast while it was airing weekly so that's been a fun experience. I hope the ending will at least not be too bad even if it seems like they're rushing through this final arc. I'm also kind of frustrated they still haven't released the dub in the US yet even though the show is already ending soon. I don't know why they just don't put the dub up on Crunchyroll or Netflix if they're having so much trouble finding a network. Most kids probably watch anime on streaming sites these days anyway. But I'm eagerly awaiting Yugioh 7 and I hope it will still come out in the spring and it won't be too long of a wait for it.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
No more ygo or just a 12 week break?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:00 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
No more ygo or just a 12 week break?
They already announced Yugioh 7 for 2020. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-07-21/yu-gi-oh-franchise-gets-new-anime-series-in-2020-for-20th-anniversary/.149202
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:20 am Reply with quote
Considering how Yu-Gi-Oh! 2020 was announced with a proclamation of "the history of the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series will change", along with the fact that VRAINS is ending now, being replaced by a non-YGO program. I think it's a very real possibility that this is the end of the Yu-Gi-Oh! TV Anime series as we know it.

There aren't details for Yu-Gi-Oh! 2020 just yet, but I get the feeling it may end up being a very different product. I wonder if this could be part of a plan to "reboot" the franchise, or something like that...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:40 am Reply with quote
I feel like at this point we don't know enough about Yugioh 7 to know what it's going to be like or what will it be about. Yugioh 7 could still air on TV next year but maybe it will air on a different day or timeslot. While Ahiru no Sora was announced as a four cour show, I'm not aware if they've said yet if it will run the entire year or if they split the show after the second cour. It's also possible Ahiru no Sora could switch to a different timeslot whenever Yugioh 7 is ready to start airing. It's just too early to make any definitive claims about what the next Yugioh will be like and all we have so far is a lot of speculation.
methedemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:25 am Reply with quote
just how different YGO 7 can be? it will be Yu-Gi-Oh...they will have to at least follow the basics of the card game..
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:32 am Reply with quote
Still wishing that the dub would be available in the US already.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
Well, VRAINS don't really have a big world building like the other past series in the first place.
UncouthFive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
It's not that significant unless you actually care about when it aired but I thought I'd just mention that the VRAINS anime aired in 2017, not 2016.

Regardless though, this had been a relatively quick 2+ years. I remember when VRAINS was first announced and getting our first look at Yusaku. Though I only watched until episode 5, I hope the people who watched it all the way enjoyed it.

I assume the reason they ended it earlier than expected is to thoroughly prepare for the next series, the series that will presumably start the "change in history of the anime". I've been out of Yu-Gi-Oh! since Arc-V ended but I want to see this change myself, for better or worse.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Regardless though, this had been a relatively quick 2+ years. I remember when VRAINS was first announced and getting our first look at Yusaku. Though I only watched until episode 5, I hope the people who watched it all the way enjoyed it.
This reminds me of the early plot synopsis of Vrains where it was about Yusaku not standing out at school and moving forward to try new things. That theme of moving forward is still there in the final version of Vrains but it’s different than what I assumed from that initial synopsis.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Typically new Yugioh series premiere in April, so we're possibly looking at a 6 month hiatus. That's a first for a Yugioh series. VRAINS also made history as our shortest ever non-Toei Yugioh series. Our previous shortest Yu-Gi-Oh! series was ZeXal and Arc-V at 148 episodes, so VRAINS beat that record by 28 episodes.

You can tell the third season was planned to be longer, only to get cut short at the last moment a la GX season 4. It's a shame, but VRAINS is my least favorite Yugioh so far, so I'm not as upset as I was with GX.

My best guess as to why VRAINS got cut short is to ease production for the 7th series. It's supposed to be a really big deal for whatever reason, and after all the production trouble VRAINS had, I imagine they want to get a few months head start on things this time around.
Generations

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it ever got more interesting after it, but I watched two whole seasons of VRAINS (about 24 episodes or so), and having seen most of every YGO series seasons, this was definitely the most boring of the bunch. It was just so clinical in the way it does the duels and story, and Yusaku is about as interesting as wheat toast.

I don't know if it was because I made the mistake of watching the subbed version, but after seeing a few episodes of the dubbed version I didn't notice a difference. Times like this I miss 4Kids' excellent work on the series.

This does make me wonder and dread in equal measure if they'll be introducing yet another new mechanic to the game.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Vrains is the first Yugioh spin off I really got into so I can’t really compare it to the others. I still like the original with Yugi and the gang the best but I found Vrains enjoyable enough. While Yusaku starts off as an emotionalness character, I feel like that’s the point as he slowly opens up to others and learns to move past the trauma he went through and moves past his initial goal of revenge. I did like a lot of the side characters and in spite of it being rushed, I do like the current arc about Ai. I also like how Vrains had a lot of competing groups with their own motives as opposed to having just one major antagonist for the series. Like you had Sol Technologies, the Knights of Hanoi, and the AI all out with their own goals they were fighting for. I also enjoyed the futuristic setting of the show and the duel surfing.

The biggest problem I’ve had with Vrains are some of the unresolved plot threads involving the other Lost Incident kids and the Ignis due to the shorter rushed length of the third season. And while I did like most of the side characters, there were some I found frustrating, mainly Go Onizuka who I just wanted to smack a couple of times. I also wish Ghost Girl had more moments to shine in the show than she did as she was one of my favorite characters and I did like her friendship with Blue Angel. There were also some moments towards the end of season two where it’s really noticeable they’re cutting the corners on the animation budget. I was particularly amused by one frame of Bohman where he was drawn with his head too small. I imagine these issues will be fixed on the home video release in Japan. In spite of some issues with Vrains, I enjoyed it enough that I’ve started going back and watching the other spin offs that I never watched. I’ve watched some of GX and I’m now about 20 episodes into 5Ds. I’ll have plenty of time to catch up on other past Yugioh shows now that the show is on break until Yugioh 7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1