• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Godzilla, Alita Films Do Not Win at 45th Saturn Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
It seemed like Ready Player One was a long time ago. Guess it wasn't.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

It came out 1 and a half years ago.
AdolZeppeli

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
I mean, that Godzilla movie was terrible. The monsters were cool and all that, but they ruined it with that terrible drama story they wanted to create with a terrible cast. I don't even know how is it that it ended up being nominated.

As for Alita, I couldn't even stand the first 30 minutes, physics were bad and Alita's CG eyes were jarring. Nope
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
I was disappointed by both movies; I'd place King of the Monsters in the bottom third of Godzilla films... better than four of the Fukuda films but you actively have to be trying not to make Godzilla film like he was to achieve that... and as for Alita, I'd say it was visually ok but thematically terrible but I don't know the source material to know if that's part of the blame. Since I never heard anyone complain about it being a bad adaptation then the collusion/collision of bounty hunters, assassins and pro sports athletes must have been accurate? The movie went from "Oh no, this movie's going to have a dumb fantasy sport I'll have to care about" to "this movie will be about a dumb fantasy sport I'll have to care about" faster than I thought possible. Even Harry Potter eased into its dumb flying broomstick sport.

There was a good movie there just exploring the fine line between Bounty Hunter and paid Assassin, I don't know why the creators didn't think that was enough.
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote
okay
crh1985

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
“Godzilla, Alita Films Do Not Win at 45th Saturn Awards”

Did you mean,

“Godzilla & Alita Films Didn’t Win at 45th Saturn Awards”?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
crh1985 wrote:
“Godzilla, Alita Films Do Not Win at 45th Saturn Awards”

Did you mean,

“Godzilla & Alita Films Didn’t Win at 45th Saturn Awards”?

It's generally accepted that news headlines should use the "historical present tense" rather than the past tense and commas rather than the word "and": https://spcollege.libguides.com/c.php?g=254319&p=1695321
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Damn people must really dislike Alita. Don't be mad if it doesn't get a Part 2 folks.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Damn people must really dislike Alita. Don't be mad if it doesn't get a Part 2 folks.

I was under the impression that Alita was doing well disc and digitally. But, then again, I'm no expert in analyzing those numbers.

Does anyone know if Alita is doing well in that regard? Also, does success post box office play a part in deciding if a sequel will be made?
Crispy45

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

The book came out 8 years ago and was pretty popular even before the movie adaption.

FlyGuySempai wrote:

Well it is a Hollywood live-action adaption of a Japanese manga series. Most fans are going to hate it and most of the public isn't going to care one way or another.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it seemed to me most fans did like the Alita movie a lot. Personally, I thought it was merely good at best. I would say both Ready Player One and Godzilla KOTM were better, and Toy Story 4 and Avengers: Endgame were WAY better.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I definitely disagree with most of the opinions here. KOTM was my favourite movie of the year so far, and definitely my second favourite Godzilla movie after Final Wars. And that's saying something after Shazam, Endgame, and Toy Story 4 were all also fantastic for me.
partially

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Well honestly Alita and RPO were both somewhat meh. I would have put Alita slightly ahead. But it is no real surprise that RPO edged it out, being both western and based on a very popular novel.
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
partially wrote:
Well honestly Alita and RPO were both somewhat meh. I would have put Alita slightly ahead. But it is no real surprise that RPO edged it out, being both western and based on a very popular novel.
Some critics described Alita as Wonderwoman with a cyber punk setting. Alita had many hurdles to overcome. First off it was difficult to market. Do you market it to teenage and young adult woman due to its YA romance or do you market it to older men because of the cyber punk setting? Many people also commented on its poor narrative. Also Captain Marvel was coming up. Alita suffered from bad timing, bad writing and a plot we seen before.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 am Reply with quote
Most of these award ceremonies tend to have a bias against anime and anime related properties, so I don't think it says much about the quality of Alita as a film that it lost. The article mentions Your Name was nominated for last year and it also lost and I think even most people who aren't big Shinkai films would agree that was a good movie. Ready Player One has a more streamlined plot than Alita and it relies heavily on pop culture nostalgia and it has Steven Spielberg attached to it so it's an easy "safe" choice to pick. I'm not one who's anti film critics or anything, but I feel like people take these award ceremonies in general too seriously and I don't know that they're that helpful in determining the quality of films or whether or not you'll like something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2