• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shortcake Cake GNs 4-5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Couldn’t agree more.

I like the three leads a lot, even Riki, who took time to grow on me. Some of the surrounding stuff is a little bizarre, but this is pretty grounded in its conflict and I really like that.

Don’t get me wrong, I quite enjoy the ‘crank it to 11’ melodrama of Ao Haru Ride too, but this is just a nice cozy read with good writing and solid characterization.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's a great series, with realistic characters. Love the pacing and art as well. Been reading since the beginning and looking forward to more.

Is there any other shoujo romance like this? I don't read much in this category to begin with.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure if there’s anything quite so grounded that I’ve read.

Hatsu*Haru is one of my current favourites - it has a good central pair and excellent side characters. Unusual in that it’s written from the perspective of a male lead, too. It hits all the beats I expect from the genre, but if you’re not familiar with them you wouldn’t notice anyway...

If you don’t mind dipping into the yuri genre, I really can’t recommend Bloom Into You enough. It’s pretty much my favourite manga romance and a very understated story with fascinating characters.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Quote:
Is there any other shoujo romance like this?

You might try Horimiya from Yen Press. It is sort of a slice of life in high school with an underlying slow burn romance. The main characters are different but very engaging. Lots of interesting side characters. It is at 12 volumes currently (volume 13 is solicited for a late November release). So far there is no melodrama and no psychotic ex girl or boyfriends in sight.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yeah, that’s an even better suggestion!

The first several volumes of Horimiya are fantastic. Totally forgot about it. I still read it religiously but it’s gotten a bit stale in the later volumes.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
I’m not sure if there’s anything quite so grounded that I’ve read.

Hatsu*Haru is one of my current favourites - it has a good central pair and excellent side characters. Unusual in that it’s written from the perspective of a male lead, too. It hits all the beats I expect from the genre, but if you’re not familiar with them you wouldn’t notice anyway...

If you don’t mind dipping into the yuri genre, I really can’t recommend Bloom Into You enough. It’s pretty much my favourite manga romance and a very understated story with fascinating characters.

Hatsu*Haru sounds interesting. I really enjoyed My Love Story!! in part because it was told from a male perspective, so that may sound like something I might like. Some shoujo tropes I am familiar with, but again, don't read much of the stuff, so that might not be a huge deal.

Yuri isn't something I'm much into, but I have heard a lot of good things about Bloom Into You, so I'll keep that in mind as well.

Alan45 wrote:
You might try Horimiya from Yen Press. It is sort of a slice of life in high school with an underlying slow burn romance. The main characters are different but very engaging. Lots of interesting side characters. It is at 12 volumes currently (volume 13 is solicited for a late November release). So far there is no melodrama and no psychotic ex girl or boyfriends in sight.

That sounds good as well. Your description of it reminds me somewhat of Silver Spoon (minus the farming), which I'm loving so far.

Thanks for the recs, you two! Though looking up more about all three series now, it seems only Hatsu*Haru is shoujo ^^;
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, you got me. Wink I have to admit that I pay no attention to formal demographic labels. My general impression is that while the demographic labels do tell you something about the specific magazine they are less helpful about a given series. Either editors are more welcoming to stuff outside their specific demographic or readers have wider, overlapping interests then you would think, probably both. Going by demographics, I shouldn't be reading manga at all. Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1