View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:56 am Reply with quote

Ascendance of a Bookworm (TV)

Genres: Slice of Life, Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
A certain college girl who's loved books ever since she was a little girl dies in an accident and is reborn in another world she knows nothing about. She is now Myne, the sickly five-year-old daughter of a poor soldier. To make things worse, the world she's been reborn in has a very low literacy rate and books mostly don't exist. She'd have to pay an enormous amounts of money to buy one. Myne resolves herself: If there aren't any books, she'll just have to make them. Her goal is to become a librarian.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw the preair/BD-DVD bundled episode recently and this actually seemed entertaining with the amounts of light comedy.

We got Maine introduced in the show as the young girl and get to know a little bit about her. The episode begins with Maine and an introduction of her life. There's a somewhat joke of her being short and we also meet Turi from the first episode and in general, it's a rather slice of life-ish episode. Eva also shows up too and she seems to have a good relationship with her. I'm curious to see how they plan to flesh out the character relationships in this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yep, this is my kind of show. Seems like there is some reviewer complaints about being too slow or whether she should know things about her setting from being so well read. I can explain away the second by her memories a little off from the two connecting with each other, and despite nothing really fantastical yet I do think it is such. And on being boring, for me I think the pacing is great, I actually like the basic premise of the episode that has her having to grasp the new environment in a way that starts small. Placing importance of something can seem mundane, her as a child trying to open bedroom door, is the kind of story beat I can get behind. At least the sort of story I would be interested in writing.

Looking forward to the future, while hoping I have not gotten my expectations too high.
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

A good second episode, her getting more used to the world, applying some of her knowledge in creating hair care products, and finally come into contact with writing. Kind of like the give and take in how she can work to search Myne's memory, and would seem the reaction to the boy complimenting would be off of how Myne might have felt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1