• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2019 Light Novel Guide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, I love The Alchemist Who Survived! It pretty much has everything I want in a story, and yes, the individual volumes are STACKED, a little extraneously so like you say, but that didn't detract my enjoyment one bit. I didn't even mind Sieg's situation of being Mariela's slave, as the book makes it clear that she hates slavery as a whole but knows there isn't much she can do about it and at least tries to help Sieg, treats him well, and sees him as a friend and a bodyguard. It's about on par with, say, Ie Naki Ko rather than stuff like Rising of the Shield Hero and Death March, so you don't need to worry about that. I am definitely looking forward to buying more volumes of it, no matter how much space they take up on my bookshelves! Very Happy
redcar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised Rebecca didn't have anything to say about Chivalry of a Failed Knight, considering her feelings on the anime a few years back. Not enough time to review it before the piece went live? In any case, thanks for the article.

Last edited by redcar on Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Really awesome to see some fantasy LNs that aren't isekai! I've only read a few Japanese LNs in my time, mostly Spice and Wolf (because I couldn't get enough of the franchise back in the day) and some miscellaneous other stuff people have recommended, and I never really enjoyed any of them as much as I do even good manga, short stories, much less full-fledged novels.

But I do think I'll try out The Miracles of the Namiya General Store, it sounds interesting and I'm a sucker for a well orchestrated mystery/puzzle plot. Thanks for the reviews!
A Fresher Perspective

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I do not wish to be rude, but I don't see how Arihito treating his former boss the same way she treated him would make him seem like a teenager, after all you said that he has every right to do so, and I'm sure any other person who has a boss they hate would not hesitate to do so.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Worth to mention Otherside Picnic is an homage to the novel Roadside Picnic by the Soviet sci-fi authors Arcady and Boris Strugatsky, from which the famous 1979 movie Stalker was adapted from. Also, goes without saying, Otherside Picnic is very much inspired by it, not just in name...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
redcar wrote:
I'm kinda surprised Rebecca didn't have anything to say about Chivalry of a Failed Knight, considering her feelings on the anime a few years back. Not enough time to review it before the piece went live? In any case, thanks for the article.

That's exactly what happened. I'm looking forward to giving it a full review later, along with any other titles I didn't get review copies of in time for this piece.

A Fresher Perspective wrote:
I do not wish to be rude, but I don't see how Arihito treating his former boss the same way she treated him would make him seem like a teenager, after all you said that he has every right to do so, and I'm sure any other person who has a boss they hate would not hesitate to do so.

Don't worry, you're not being rude. It's sometimes hard to get everything said clearly in these mini-reviews. It's less that revenge would have been immature and more that he recognizes the need for the two of them to work together to survive in their new life; it's because of the specific situation they're in that his ability to put his personal feelings aside is striking.

Definitely try The Miracles of Namiya General Store if you've had trouble getting into light novels before. It's technically just a plain old novel that's a bit light novel-flavored and just a really beautifully put together book.

Thanks, Blanchimont! I wasn't aware of that; I'll see if I can find a copy.
lilitu93
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Iori Miyazawa is male, not female - see this interview with him about yuri and his works:

https://teletype.in/@kati_lilian/SJA8KwjjN

I really like his books and don’t get the feeling when reading them that the author is male and doesn’t really understand women as actual humans (which is sometimes the case for me as a woman reading female characters written by male writers), so that’s a compliment to his skills.

Also, it’s great to see more recommendations for Sexiled. There’s been so much backlash about this novel from some fans, including ones who normally like OP male heroes/male power fantasies. Some of them even try to imply that no one really actually likes the series but pretend to do so because of their politics. Maybe some fans do, but I loved it because it was fun and sometimes wish fulfilment revenge is just entertaining, plus it does actually have something to say.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
A Fresher Perspective wrote:

I also find it aquite harsh to say it's slavery apology, considering the the "slave" is more or less an automaton because of exptensive brain damage, not having a family, the only other options would be to have her on a hospital bed or just throw her in the woods. Since she still does self defense having her be some kind of rental human weapon sounds like a good alternative, especialyl because that's what the conscious version would have preferred were it abel to take the decision. the series also makes the point that the stop renting her to guys who misuse her and prefer to rent to guys that treat it well and care for her.
Saying anything more would be spoilers (I think, I am reading the manga),but, as said regarding his relationship with his exboss, the mc makes an effort to be a better than decent person, so it ticks me a bit off. tho, I also agree that making him only befriend women is kind of annoying,e vne fi a genre staple.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
redcar wrote:

That's exactly what happened. I'm looking forward to giving it a full review later, along with any other titles I didn't get review copies of in time for this piece.

I really enjoyed the anime and would have loved to have another season, so I'm looking forward to your review now to see how the source material is =)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
According to Amazon, the shipping date for the first two volumes of Chivalry of a Failed Knight has been changed to somewhere between 12/8 and 1/16. Rebecca may get her review copy sooner though.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Count me in as one of the people who really really really wants to read Sexiled but gets scared off by the name. I plan to get over that and read it someday, though! Enough people have recommended it to me and it sounds really interesting.

Also glad that Of Dragons and Fae has such a strong MC. I'm definitely going to check it out!

Thanks for writing these! The number of LNs coming out now compared to just a few years ago is incredible. Glad it's proving profitable for the translators!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:57 pm Reply with quote
"No Secret Evil Fighting group"

Find it strange that Sago could be considered evil. Much was written about what went into the decisions to pick these two middle schoolers.

Ultimate power doesn't make you evil. Even with the saying, "Power corrupts, ultimate power corrupts ultimately", you are still judged by your actions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1