• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Angel Beats!, ALDNOAH.ZERO, Valvrave the Liberator Anime to Catalog

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I love it how Yui is more of a supporting character yet she's front and center, anyway nice to see Angel Beats on Funimation
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
So now Funimation will have both the original Boogiepop and the reboot streaming.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been wondering if Aniplex USA would do a re-release of Angel Beats! at some point when the supply of Sentai product dried up (mission accomplished… new copies are going for upwards of $150), possibly including the two OVAs that Sentai didn't get, as a lure for double-dippers. But now that they're corporate cousins with Funimation, I suppose a Funi BD isn't out of the question.
ragnawind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I've been wondering if Aniplex USA would do a re-release of Angel Beats! at some point when the supply of Sentai product dried up (mission accomplished… new copies are going for upwards of $150), possibly including the two OVAs that Sentai didn't get, as a lure for double-dippers. But now that they're corporate cousins with Funimation, I suppose a Funi BD isn't out of the question.

If Angel Beats gets a new home video release, it will more likely be from Aniplex themselves, which will be selling for about what they are now. Aniplex and Funimation are only sharing with streaming content. Aniplex is still doing all of their properties on home video themselves, when they feel like it.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So now Funimation will have both the original Boogiepop and the reboot streaming.

Actually Boogiepop Phantom is A spin-off to Boogiepop and Others. It tells a different story
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Is Funi streaming both Angel Beats OVA's?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

The series is not up on their site or in their app yet, so we don’t know. Also, there were three OVAs: “Stairway to Heaven” (which was on Sentai’s release), “Hell’s Kitchen” (which was released as part of the run-up to Charlotte), and the short “Another Epilogue”.
geepee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Have you seen the epilogue OVA of Kill la Kill being streamed anywhere?The Director's Cut version of episode 6 of Gurren Lagann?The Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood OVAs?
There's your answer...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I thought Sentai had the rights to Angel Beats!, did they expire or did they not own the streaming rights?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

The series is not up on their site or in their app yet, so we don’t know. Also, there were three OVAs: “Stairway to Heaven” (which was on Sentai’s release), “Hell’s Kitchen” (which was released as part of the run-up to Charlotte), and the short “Another Epilogue”.

Interesting having seen the 2 OVA's And the Another Epilogue I never considered it to be an OVA due to its relatively short length.

Did Sentai have the Another Epilogue with their bluray release? I know it had Stairway to Heaven.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:57 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I thought Sentai had the rights to Angel Beats!, did they expire or did they not own the streaming rights?

They expired in late 2017, according to this list. Sentai did stream Angel Beats! on Anime Network (that's where I first saw it), but I don't recall if it was ever on HIDIVE.
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Did Sentai have the Another Epilogue with their bluray release? I know it had Stairway to Heaven.

Sentai's DVD/BD release did not have "Another Epilogue".
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
By the way, if Sony is so keen on sharing Aniplex titles with Funimation, might I suggest Valkyria Chronicles? It's an A-1 Pictures / Aniplex production, based on a popular video game series, yet it has only ever streamed on Crackle, has never had a physical release, and is now legally unavailable in North America.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Gonna have to check some of these out tommorow.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

It expired.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would release Valvrave cheaper like $60 per season I love that show. I heard it was going out of print anyways. Maybe they might release a cheaper bare bones edition if that is true?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2