• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gangsta Manga Creator Kohske Diagnosed With Autoimmune Disease

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
I always felt like nicolas was a fantastic character who has a disability but is still a great and fully formed character. I guess that maybe she took from her own experience when writing him then I thought at first, when I heard she was sickly.

PLEASE GET WELL Kohske we all love you and want you to take care of yourself.

P.S. ANN Kohske is a female. if you can use female pronouns for her, it would be great show off more female artist in the manga industry.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:32 am Reply with quote
Gangsta was one of my personal favorite anime shows from the 2010s. It's very sad to hear about the manga author's health problems.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:56 am Reply with quote
Dear god, that sounds awful. I don't keep up with the series, and don't know if it's anywhere near finished, but this has to end soon. She just can't keep working like this. If it's nowhere the end, then please, just have someone else draw it. I know relinquishing the creative control and freedom of drawing it yourself is hard, but if it's the only way for the series to continue (and live a better life), then it must be done. I mean, it worked with the spin-off manga (even though we don't know how much she was involved, it was still successful enough for all Viz to not only license it, but finish the series). I just don't think the suffering is worth it, especially when you consider the fact she practically had to beg people to stop pirating her work a few years ago, since it affected her income. I just really hope things get better for her, even if it means the series has to suffer.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:23 am Reply with quote
Praying for her... I genuinely will make a note to keep her in my prayers too. Autoimmune disease doesn't give us much info- but any disease at all is a horrible thing. Sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh I hope she gets well, i quite enjoyed the Manga
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
P.S. ANN Kohske is a female. if you can use female pronouns for her, it would be great show off more female artist in the manga industry.
There are a lot of well known works by female Mangaka, you make it sound like they a rare thing.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
There are a lot of well known works by female Mangaka, you make it sound like they a rare thing.

They are seen as more of a minority (then they are) in part due to websites like ANN not using female pronouns and instead just using gender neutral pronouns.
The perception of when you think of a mangaka is still very much a male. It will help to get female mangaka recognized as official artist and not just dojin circle members if we make a push to recognize them as female when we talk about them I think.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

They are seen as more of a minority (then they are) in part due to websites like ANN not using female pronouns and instead just using gender neutral pronouns.
The perception of when you think of a mangaka is still very much a male. It will help to get female mangaka recognized as official artist and not just dojin circle members if we make a push to recognize them as female when we talk about them I think.

I agree with showing more female mangakas. It's already rare to see female directors in anime too. I know gender doesn't matter but you have to admit it is sad by how long it took the time for an anime with female director to be known in the west (not sure about Japan) by how many years anime has been around.

That's just me.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
sorry for pushing this thread off topic. I really would love to let kohske know that we want her to feel better and to not stress herself out to much.
Does anyone know anywhere she might see messages from her fans or no?

I probably shouldn't do this but @capt Personally you should really check out Atsuko Ishizuka her work is FANTASTIC. No Game No Life was a perfect match for her, but Sakurasou and her episodes on supernatural the animated series are some of the best in the series.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping for her recovery.

It's too bad Manglobe went under, I enjoyed the animated adaptation of her manga and was disappointed it couldn't get another season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Here's hoping for her recovery.

It's too bad Manglobe went under, I enjoyed the animated adaptation of her manga and was disappointed it couldn't get another season.

once things started really going down....the anime showed that mangaglobe was going under really soon in compression to the manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
That's really sad to hear. My grand aunt passed away from this at a relatively young age compared to when most women in my family do.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I will be praying for her recovery and good health.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason why the article is always referring "they, they, they..."? I know it's a she and the Twitter account might not be only hers, but after there's no need to be referring "they", makes it sound that Kohske pseudonym is a group of people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1