• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina Returns! Part II

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Good thing generous pirates would happily give Timmy a treasure map to what he wants, if you know what I mean.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This literally made me laugh out loud. It's so nice to have some new strips. I still regularly read my collection and it always takes me back to those days. Good times...

I am all three characters on this. While I hate hate hate how Netflix does things, there are so many other shows vying for my attention, I don't mind waiting much as long as it isn't one I'm super-into.

But I do wish Netflix would pay attention to how the other (better and arguably more successful) services do things.

Now I have to go reread Nina again...
kailegh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad Anime News Nina is back!
but omg, r.i.p. Timmy e_e
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I have plenty of simulcasts to keep me busy, so Netflix jail isn't a huge problem. On the other hand, it's very easy to lose track of what they license because it is from some prior season, and they don't do much of anything to make you aware. I only knew Takagi season 2 was there because I happened to see it while watching Violet Evergarden. I didn't know Kakegurui season 2 was available until ANN did a This Week in Anime about it .
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
moroboshi-kun wrote:
But I do wish Netflix would pay attention to how the other (better and arguably more successful) services do things.

Netflix is arguably multiple orders of magnitude larger than any anime streaming service and serves a similarly larger audience... That kinda makes it hard to argue that they should listen to other services.

What folks don't seem to grasp is that we are not their target audience. They aren't catering to our ways of doing things because they don't care about a small, niche, minority. They're going after bigger fish, and they're doing so with the tools that have repeatedly netted them bigger fish.
moroboshi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Netflix is arguably multiple orders of magnitude larger than any anime streaming service and serves a similarly larger audience... That kinda makes it hard to argue that they should listen to other services.

Netflix is no doubt still the streaming behemoth, but up until recently they have not had much competition, and the market is changing. Their (VERY) mixed bag of original content is causing a huge cash drain, and the other streaming services are gaining ground, and most of them do a good deal of weekly updates.

The market is also changing, where it used to be "I have cable and Netflix", people are increasingly getting rid of cable in favor of streaming services, and when they look at content, Netflix is not as competitive as their name and brand recognition would lead one to believe. Hulu has a fantasic movie line up, believe it or not, combined with weekly shows and the option of live channels puts them in a good position. And speaking behemoths, let's not forget Disney+.

We are definitely a niche audience, but they can use that to appeal to us use to use their service, too.

I believe that Netflix would be profitable if not for the investment in original content (but seriously, they need higher standards) but if they don't start adapting, they are going to start getting left behind. A lot of these tech companies are not doing as well as we might think. Uber is hemorrhaging money, even though they take in billions.

But hey, I could be wrong. I'm just a guy home with something I assure everyone one is not the coronavirus all the kids are talking about.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Physical releases are also a mystery :/
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I blame SNL.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Good thing generous pirates would happily give Timmy a treasure map to what he wants, if you know what I mean.

And really bad eggs.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll should be developing Nina as an animated series.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Those words make me describe what the lady in blue ends up doing, and it's called the bait-and-switch.

She appears to grant Timmy his wish of getting to watch the last season of his favorite anime before he dies (where the keyword is "bait"), only to tell him that because Netflix has secured the streaming rights to Timmy's favorite anime, there has been no word on when is its last season coming out (where the keyword is "switch").

In other words, she unintentionally scammed the poor guy.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad these comics are back. I loved AnimeNewsNina back when it ran, it was a highlight for me.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
So glad to see the wit hasn't changed. Hope this becomes a regular feature again...Yes Nina I AGREE TOO~~~!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
This got too dark, too fast. Dang.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
Those words make me describe what the lady in blue ends up doing, and it's called the bait-and-switch.

She appears to grant Timmy his wish of getting to watch the last season of his favorite anime before he dies (where the keyword is "bait"), only to tell him that because Netflix has secured the streaming rights to Timmy's favorite anime, there has been no word on when is its last season coming out (where the keyword is "switch").

In other words, she unintentionally scammed the poor guy.

Not quite. There's a literary term for this concept, and it's The Monkey's Paw. This is when a wish is granted, but it comes with some sort of strong caveat that greatly downplays the relevance of said wish. It's similar to how genies & djinns were originally portrayed, as they'd grant their masters' wishes, but always do so in a way that's not ideal. It's to teach people to not simply take the easy way out of things.

It's not a "bait-&-switch", but rather "be careful of what you wish for".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1