• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season Adds 4 Cast Members

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elephantdancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
*pokes Funimation*

Are we EVERRRRRRRRRR going to get Season 4 or this Season 5? Any plans for Season 3 on Blu?

Ai Tenchi Muyo was cute and all but I'd love to own the continuation of the anime that made me a fan in the early-mid 90's.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:31 am Reply with quote
By Fuku, I'm guessing Seina's cabbit/ spaceship from Tenchi GXP? Guessing quite likely as Ryo-ohki also has the ability to take on a human-like form in the OVA series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The nature of Fuku's heightened ability and the other two girls are basically from GXP storylines not touched on at all in the anime.
Miki should look familiar... she's a reincarnation of someone from another series... Remember what Seina's mecha looked like? Actually, so are a few of the characters.

It may be explained in the OVA (probably not) so I'll put the core of the explanation in spoilers... it may be the silliest aspect of the Tenchiverse.

spoiler[Remember how the mecha Seina found (Zinv!) was from an "ancient civilization? Remember Dual Parallel Adventures? So... that whole series... that seemed to take place in "modern Japan/ Earth"... nope- THAT was the ancient civilization Rolling Eyes Billions* of years ago. I can't remember if it was supposed to take place in the same planet Earth- but the entirety of Earth's culture seems to be some sort of generational memory. I don't know which came first- Kajashima's plot or the finale to the Battlestar Galactica remake finale.
... Seina is basically the latest reincarnation of Kazuki. Half of his harem are reincarnations from Dual.
There was also a GXP storyline about AI who basically gain a soul. Miki is one and so is Kirche- they used to inhabit false android type bodies (Kirche was actually in NB- who differs greatly from the anime) but got real bodies after the shells were destroyed/killed and they fused with the Fuku Cabbit clones that Seina rescued. Yes, they are also cabbits, largely depowered ones (no gems) but transforming cabbits.
*Looked it up again and had to edit Millions into Billions... Dual was Billions of years ago...]

Let's face it, Kajishima probably only came up with that explanation because the other series never had legs. I'm convinced that GXP is largely the story he wanted to tell with it but never got the chance.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
elephantdancer wrote:
*pokes Funimation*

Are we EVERRRRRRRRRR going to get Season 4 or this Season 5? Any plans for Season 3 on Blu?

Ai Tenchi Muyo was cute and all but I'd love to own the continuation of the anime that made me a fan in the early-mid 90's.

Season 4 is 90% new characters and features practically none of the elements that made me a fan of the first two ova series. You really aren't missing much at all.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Minamida, a.k.a. The Cooler Tenchi.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Minamida, a.k.a. The Cooler Tenchi.

Typo? Not Tenchi, but...
Paradise War is actually the only thing I have not gotten around to reading (other than the untranslated bits of GXP). But I've read the synopsis... huh...are they really gonna try to jam that story into this OVA somehow?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
elephantdancer wrote:
*pokes Funimation*

OVA 3 never got a Blu-ray release in Japan so that's probably the reason for the hold up there.

Meanwhile Universe & Tokyo did a few years back but they're SD so anyone who wants those are SOL since unlike Discotek & Sentai, FUNi has yet to jump on the format.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Spastic Minnow! If we ever get the 4th (and now 5th) OVAs here, hopefully they come with a guide book Laughing

Still hoping we get the GXP novels eventually though
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Still hoping we get the GXP novels eventually though

That would be lovely, and I'd work on those in a heartbeat, if Seven Seas asked me back. But considering how massive of a series it is, I wouldn't hold my breath for a license. Had the True Tenchi Muyo! novels flown off the bookshelves, there would have been a chance. But while sales of the TTM novels were fine, they weren't anything that would convince Seven Seas to take a financial risk on GXP.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Really hoping Funimation can jump on these. The silence on that front since OVA 4's release is making me worry that the license just isn't happening.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:19 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

That would be lovely, and I'd work on those in a heartbeat, if Seven Seas asked me back. But considering how massive of a series it is, I wouldn't hold my breath for a license. Had the True Tenchi Muyo! novels flown off the bookshelves, there would have been a chance. But while sales of the TTM novels were fine, they weren't anything that would convince Seven Seas to take a financial risk on GXP.

That's too bad to hear that, I was hoping the True Tenchi novels would have done well enough to give the GXP novels a shot :/
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Only compromise would be to double them up. There are a lot of them, but they aren't big so 2-in-1 releases could work.

Unfortunately, the early volumes suffer from not being terribly different from the beginning of the anime. There are certainly added details, but it's not until he gets to school that things really start to get added.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll has OVA 5 for streaming: https://www.crunchyroll.com/tenchi-muyo-ryo-ohki

Maybe they'll dub it? Or Funimation has the license for it and OVA 4 and it's not being announced yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1