• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Proposed Japanese Copyright Law Revision Now Covers Downloads of Manga, Magazines, Academic Wo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
So that means all of pirated manga sites will die? Should I worried of new copyright law, because I feel like this new copyright law is kinda "draconian".
Quote:
However, that plan caused concerns as critics argued the tighter regulations would be too broad and hinder the freedom of expression of internet users.

I'm sure not everyone's approved of new copyright law.. I always thought Japan is a democratic country.
So much "freedom" of expression in Japan.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
The issue is that so few manga compared to those being scanned that get translated legally, whether physical or digital.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
So that means all of pirated manga sites will die? Should I worried of new copyright law, because I feel like this new copyright law is a "draconian".

yeah, not being able to steal an artist's work is draconian.

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:
The issue is that so few manga compared to those being scanned that get translated legally, whether physical or digital.

This doesn't cover translations, isn't this for japanese citizens who download this content in japanese?
Also aggregate sites hurt scanalation translators anyway as well as the artist.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
So that means all of pirated manga sites will die? Should I worried of new copyright law, because I feel like this new copyright law is a "draconian".

yeah, not being able to steal an artist's work is draconian.

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:

This doesn't cover translations, isn't this for japanese citizens who download this content in japanese?
Also aggregate sites hurt scanalation translators anyway as well as the artist.

Yeah this is for Japanese citizens. I always find it odd when people get upset about these things when 99% of the time it's targeting people in Japan who are able to purchase the series but just don't want to. People need to start thinking about the authors more and less about themselves.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:51 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I'm sure not everyone's approved of new copyright law.. I always thought Japan is a democratic country.
So much "freedom" of expression in Japan.

Stealing from others not being legal is not incompatible with either democracy or freedom of expression. In fact, it has nothing to do with either.

HeWhoSlapsAll wrote:

The issue is that people steal things that belong to others - and often either feel entitled to do so, or act as though the personal choice to steal is the fault of someone else.
piotrus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:35 am Reply with quote
Copying is not stealing.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_sales
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
The law also includes academic texts, rest in pieces poor college students and researcher. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:39 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Yeah this is for Japanese citizens. I always find it odd when people get upset about these things when 99% of the time it's targeting people in Japan who are able to purchase the series but just don't want to. People need to start thinking about the authors more and less about themselves.

This. 99% of the reason people bring up piracy is because they hate censorship/translation changes, or the crap US companies do, or the region locking, or the lack of availability, or the cost. If you live in Japan those all dont exist. You know Japanese so you can read and watch anything. You can watch anime on TV, you can buy a manga magazine for 250 yen that has like 30 manga in it. You dont have to worry about some company censoring the latest chapter of a manga since it's always the original so that also means your region has every single anime and manga by default. All the reason we in the west pirate go out the window for actual Japanese fans. The only reason they do it is to get free stuff.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
I lived in Japan (nowhere near Tokyo) on a very moderate budget (poor, but manageable) and strictly speaking manga/magazines AND academic texts, printed material is also much cheaper there than in the US. Availability was hardly a concern, too. Most stores at least allow you to browse magazines and books freely, so I could gauge whether something was worth buying pretty easily. If a decision was a bad decision, there were 2nd hand stores that would buy my used copies for a generous price, too. If something was out of print, those same 2nd hand stores had a good chance of carrying it. In other words, piracy of printed material is far less of a convenience in Japan.

Anime, on the other hand... DVDs and BDs are way too expensive to collect regularly. TV is limited based on region and your schedule. Unless streaming really has gotten way better since I left (2015), it really does suck to be a fan of anime itself. While this isn't an endorsement of pirating (especially by torrent) in Japan... ***Seriously, don't do it*** ...at least no one who has pirated anime has gotten in trouble thus far. The law seems to be there just in case they need it to pursue someone seriously.[/i]
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I lived in Japan (nowhere near Tokyo) on a very moderate budget (poor, but manageable) and strictly speaking manga/magazines AND academic texts, printed material is also much cheaper there than in the US. Availability was hardly a concern, too. Most stores at least allow you to browse magazines and books freely, so I could gauge whether something was worth buying pretty easily. If a decision was a bad decision, there were 2nd hand stores that would buy my used copies for a generous price, too. If something was out of print, those same 2nd hand stores had a good chance of carrying it. In other words, piracy of printed material is far less of a convenience in Japan.

Anime, on the other hand... DVDs and BDs are way too expensive to collect regularly. TV is limited based on region and your schedule. Unless streaming really has gotten way better since I left (2015), it really does suck to be a fan of anime itself. While this isn't an endorsement of pirating (especially by torrent) in Japan... ***Seriously, don't do it*** ...at least no one who has pirated anime has gotten in trouble thus far. The law seems to be there just in case they need it to pursue someone seriously.[/i]

Streaming anime in Japan is still in it's experimental phase even livestreams of concerts and such are way ahead of streaming anime over there, which I find perplexing. Also, mobile streaming is still in it's infancy and definitely not the norm (I'd hear about it more if it was), despite the fact that they have more reason to advance it further than we have in the states, where streaming and livestreaming on mobile is the norm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1