• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tamayomi (TV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote

Tamayomi (TV)
Genres: Sports, School
Themes: Baseball
Plot Summary
Quote:
In her Junior High years, the pitcher Yomi Takeda was not able to get very far in a cross-school baseball tournament. Since the catcher on her team wasn't at her level, she couldn't use her signature move, the "Magic Throw," and eventually regretted not being able to use it. After Junior High, she decided to stop playing baseball and went to Shin Koshigaya High School, a school without a baseball club.

There, she found her long lost childhood friend, Tamaki Yamazaki, who used to play catchball with her when they were kids. Tamaki also played baseball during her Junior High years as a catcher, and could even catch Yomi's "Magic Throw!"

Their promise with each other during their childhood could now be fulfilled! Walking together on the road of baseball once again...

The story of the girls who love baseball will begin!

(Source: MU)

Last edited by toprak on Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
toprak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
PV
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
1-4

So this is better than I was expecting, but the voices are all so high-pitched that it gets on my nerves. Also, I cringe every time they slide in those shorts.

Two things in the practice game I didn't get. Why was the game called in the 7th with only a 1 run difference? And at one point a runner got to first before the fly ball was actually caught and she was called safe! I've never heard of that. It was like some misunderstanding by the writers of the infield fly rule, except I think it was hit to the outfield.

It's also nice to have actual animation after 52 episodes of Ace of Diamond Act II's slideshow, but unfortunately episode 4 turned out to be a festival of off-model drawing from start to finish. Not even closeups were spared the derp faces.

And the animators clearly do not know the meaning of the word "continuity." For example, in one shot the pitcher is wearing shorts, in the very next she's wearing long pants.

And omg the home plate umpire! Not only is she given no protective gear except a facemask (except when she doesn't even get that), apparently they changed umpires for every freaking pitch. Here are just a few of the many variations of hair and clothing:

blonde/white black/blue brn/white
dark/logo blk/stripe brn/stripe/no mask what they should all look like.

The one with the black/navy long-sleeved undershirt sometimes changed to a maroon one between pitches. All in all, watching the umpire constantly morphing was more entertaining than the rest of the episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:25 am Reply with quote
I feel kind of dumb to not notice a lot of problems, but in general I think that in general the show has enough merit that I at least find it tolerable to watch. Decided to stop watching Tower of God today because despite the attention it has I just don't enjoy watching it.

Tamayomi is at least cute. And also the sexual tension between the girls standing right in front of each other and staring into each other's eyes, that you can see in the promotion images. I also take it over idol anime with cute girls.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
I knew I saw characters change somehow during that mess but I wasn't going to go back to confirm it. One possible explanation I heard is that Funimation gets a workprint so they can do the subs early and then they use the aired episode for their release but this time, they used that version while the 4th episode as aired was better.

I an not confirm any of that but if that was the Fourth episode as intended then it's the most Legendary Fourth Episode Failure I've ever seen. Oh some of those lip flap animations, the faces, the bodies, the perspectives... why were those lights just a white model?

One plus of the actual show is that the girls' bodies actually look like they play baseball. I'm watching it alongside Cinderella Nine and it makes for an amusing comparison. But while the bodies are fine, somethings off about the faces even before episode 4 but it's hard to describe what's off exactly.

It's like they used faces from the early 2000s on bodies from the mid 90s? Does that make sense?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
1-4
what they should all look like.

...and this one certainly has a lot more padding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
why were those lights just a white model?

You mean these lights we got a 6 second meditation on?

And why the Dutch angle? Very Happy I haven't seen so many for no reason since Vatican Miracle Examiner. To think this director also helmed 2/3 of Major.

Edit: Apparently Animegomaniac was right about the different versions. If you want to watch the AT-X broadcast, you can find it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaMHtLKvCOc albeit with pitched up audio (and I thought their voices were too high already!).
There's a lot of random CGI in it that looks floaty and stiff, but much less derp, and the plate umpire is consistent in pinstriped long pants with the maroon undershirt and black hair. So maybe the production isn't going quite as off-the-rails as Funimation's stream made it seem, which is good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote

This one didn't look too bad. Maybe the production is stabilizing finally. I'm still having trouble getting in the groove with them to be cheering them on during games. That's either a fatal flaw with the series or with me. Smile

Btw, you may or may not have noticed that according to the subs, Nozomi was offered (and accepted) the position of cleanup batter, but when Tama bats ahead of her, she thinks about her job as cleanup (and you can hear her use that term).

For reasons that elude me, while "cleanup" is the 4th batter in the US, in Japan it's the 3rd, and Nozomi was "yoban" or 4th. I first noticed this discrepancy in Ace of Diamond, but the subbers there just swapped the terms for Westerners, while in this they used "cleanup" for both, which is lazy and confusing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

One of the few anime set to finish this season, the first one for me. I don't have much to say on production stuff like the pictures posted earlier above, but I think that the show is largely forgettable. Perhaps because I could barely get myself to pay attention to what is happening, but I can't recall all too much what even happened in the episodes and series. I didn't catch any strong motivations that would make me feel amped to have this group of misfits prove themselves, and there is not much of what I would call a strong visual identity that I could think back to. Even if you could say that characters have variable traits, hairstyles and height, there is not a whole lot of strong character that is actually interesting. I think the teacher was perhaps the closest, as much as she was used.

Perhaps I would find things like the meaningful pitches in this last episode were a bit exciting, since the game was on a wire and tension was raised. Even a bit where one of the characters was doubting if they were doing good enough which was followed by someone saying that they made it this far, which I think was nice. I do find a bit lacking in the end. Perhaps I set myself up for failure in the end by reading context into things like the girls being close, but there was no girl and girl here. It really was otherwise not super cute, or something I found personally exciting, or dealt with a drama that interested me. Kind of feels like one of those times I would be interested in the views of people who did really enjoy it, to see what I missed.

My rating is So-so (5/10), it didn't really catch my attention, but it also did not make me really hate it from a perhaps a character that I could not stand from the likes of some other shows I watched this season. Otherwise being a pretty small season, maybe that helped me from not being fed up at just being able to watch without feeling a strong emotion one way or another.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
In the end, I liked the show. It managed to thread the needle that most sports animes can't, be both the start of a sporting experience for new players yet also be experienced enough not to hit the "Why would this new team win any games?" wall.
And this show's solution to be both new but experienced was Yomi, the pitcher who was never allowed to actually pitch the way she wanted with the bonus distinction of never winning any official games.

I'd say how much the audience connects is based on how well they can relate to Yomi's situation of being better then the middle school team could handle. I was fully behind her character when the big lug early in the series meekly asked "So I can throw my special pitch?"
Compared to this show's other pitching aces... the show kind of demands the comparison... Yomi comes off as manageable but still larger than life. She knows her role and she thinks her pitch is special but she doesn't see herself as special. To me, she comes off as endearing when the other aces are obnoxious.

"What's the most pitches you've thrown in a game?"
"Well I once did a double header so that was 240."
"..."

For the record, I know little about baseball but I know what I know.

The rest of the cast were ... there I guess. Poor casting and inconsistent design did not help make the rest of the team stand out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1