• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Writer Teases Similarities, Changes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:23 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah toning down Faye's outfit who didn't see this coming. Rolling Eyes
Lenks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize Javier Grillo-Marxuach was going to write the series. He's done good work.
Akane Mizuno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Liking attractive women doesn't make anyone a bigot like what? I like seeing bad ass sexy women so what. Women like seeing attractive men, but men don't complain about it. How anyone asked for a Cowboy Bebop live action series though is beyond me. I'd just watch the anime and characters how they were originally intended.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And while the characters still smoke, the habit may be a bit less glamorized to reflect modern sensibilities.
I'm surprised that they even do smoke. Don't get me wrong, it fits them smoking, I just thought they would change them to none smokers.
Quote:
“Spike Spiegel has to be Asian. Like, you can’t Scarlett Johansson this shit,”
You would think the one character they would insist on being Asian would be Faye, as she was from Japan. Spike was born on Mars and his background beyond that is never explained. And we never learn where Jet and Edward came from.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Nothing good ever comes from Earth.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Faye’s being played by a Singapore actress IIRC,

And I get the issue with drafting things 1:1 because what looks good drawn won’t always look IRL, but Faye’s whole thing is dressing and acting teasingly to hide her inner pain. It’s a coping mechanism.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Javier Grillo-Marxuach seems like a pretty middle-of-the-road writer, from what I can glean from his credits. I wish they would have at least consulted Keiko Nobumoto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
But the conservative circles I know favor less sexy outfits and discourage smoking and any drug use.

Why is the thread escalating this way?

I also am not hot on Spike's casting/ethnicity, but I'll check it out. Just hope Spike's martial arts aren't toned down. I expect that they intend for this adaptation to run longer than the anime with multiple seasons and original content. I do think they'll use Kanno's music in addition to new stuff by other composers.

If the production is good, this could be a hit.
Daigunbuster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm still baffled by all the live-action anime adaptations in productions. Some like Akira and Cowboy Bepop seem like decent candidates for adaptations. I personally think they only work in an animated format but I'm sure some people will enjoy them. Others like Steins;Gate and One Piece make no sense. Once Piece seems like the wost possible anime to make live-action and Steins;Gate is so steeped in otaku culture they're going to have to change the show completely if they want it to have even modetate success. I'm expecting a Big Bang Theory with time travel elements.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Either way, the series will not surpass the classic that is the anime.

Should make for a decent adaptation though.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Sir Winston C'thulhu wrote:

The staff and cast are overall quite excellent. I DO find it kind of strange on how they keep saying Spike needs to be Asian when....it was pretty obvious from the get-go he has Jewish ancestry more than anything, but at the end of the day John Cho is the right kind of cool for it.

Well, Yusaku Matsuda was the most direct inspiration for Spike and he wasn't Jewish to my knowledge.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Barry Chan wrote:
Oh yeah toning down Faye's outfit who didn't see this coming. Rolling Eyes

tbf that's like predicting water will be wet.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
At future point in history where Bebop takes place, ethnicity, religion, and so forth is likely not important. Humanity likely more homogeneous [sic] in 2050s+.
It's not important in the original show, it is important to some level in the Netflix show clearly, as it was brought up by the creators of the Netflix version.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:

Sounds like they're pushing a political agenda, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product.
Wait till you find out about Watanabe shows.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:

Sounds like they're pushing a political agenda, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product.
Wait till you find out about Watanabe shows.

Terror in Resonance was the most apolitical show ever made Laughing

I think this is probably going turn out to be mediocre, but I'll give it an episode for curiosity's sake. If it ends up being bad,then I'll just go back to the original. Certainly has a better chance at being decent that the live-action One Piece. Probably the worst thing you could try to translate to live-action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3