• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Yurina Hase Shares Her Experience With 'Casting Couch' at Sunrise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petbastard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
>She said that she was asked to perform sexual favors, and when she was refused, she was notified the next day that she did not get the role.

I think you've meant "when she refused", got somewhat confused when I've read that line
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
I think this sort of thing has been an open secret ever since that Zeta Gundam incident.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
Heck of a day for a lot of these, sometimes open secret, accusations to come to the public eye with corroboration. First Warren Ellis' history of being a sex pest, now this.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/warren-ellis-allegations/
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I think this sort of thing has been an open secret ever since that Zeta Gundam incident.

Yukana sleeping with the sound director if I recall? I remember hearing about that back when it first came up, but how did that accusation even begin anyways? Did someone have inside information and leaked it out or something?

EDIT: I found this post.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16911&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Heck of a day for a lot of these, sometimes open secret, accusations to come to the public eye with corroboration. First Warren Ellis' history of being a sex pest, now this.

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/warren-ellis-allegations/
I also wonder why the American anime industry just kind of stopped after You Know Who and never looked into Todd Haberkorn or Chris Niosi both of which are still getting acting gigs.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure Haberkorn's career prospects have taken a pretty big hit as far as roles and convention appearances, although hard to say with all the events down due to the pandemic. I haven't heard much about Niosi since Nintendo replaced him: http://4NN.cx/.149428
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She said that the newcomer male actors tend to let the attention go to their heads, and immediately try to lay their hands on the female actors.
at the very least, this is super easy to believe...

Casting couch stuff is disgustingly common all around the world and no one seems to do anything about it...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Pretty sure Haberkorn's career prospects have taken a pretty big hit as far as roles and convention appearances, although hard to say with all the events down due to the pandemic. I haven't heard much about Niosi since Nintendo replaced him: http://4NN.cx/.149428
Wikipedia listed Haberkorn as being in Dorohedoro and Drifting Dragons recently but maybe he's only able to get Netlix roles now? I think Niosi's last anime role outside Fairy Tale was last year's SAO Alicization. But I hope you're right about this. I do wonder what Viz plans to do with casting Helios in Sailor Moon Eternal.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

Haberkorn is in the last episode of the latest season of My Hero Academia he was the Endeavor fan boy with the pink/red hair who had several lines in that episode. So looks like Funimation is still hiring him for work.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
Wikipedia listed Haberkorn as being in Dorohedoro and Drifting Dragons recently but maybe he's only able to get Netlix roles now? I think Niosi's last anime role outside Fairy Tale was last year's SAO Alicization. But I hope you're right about this. I do wonder what Viz plans to do with casting Helios in Sailor Moon Eternal.

He was also in Altered Carbon: Resleeved and Cagaster of an Insect Cage for Netflix as well this year. As well as Resident Evil 3, FFVIIR and Destiny 2 Expansion. So don't think he's having that many problems.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I also wonder why the American anime industry just kind of stopped after You Know Who and never looked into Todd Haberkorn or Chris Niosi both of which are still getting acting gigs.

Todd was cast in only 2 anime roles in 2019 going off his Wikipedia page, and 2 so far in 2020. Looks like a kind of big drop from 2018 to me. Although tbf people didn't go after them nearly as hard as they did Vic so blame the people who stopped making noise on that front but obviously the most popular one is going to get the most attention. Chris is a YouTuber/internet content creator mainly with just a few side gigs in VAing, so it's kind of hard to "cancel" him. Todd seems to be transitioning into VAing for western shows and video games going off a few of his recent roles. Even Vic is doing work in non-anime related areas these days so even if you oust people from the anime industry there's always opportunities for people elsewhere.
loveliver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I thought I saw Niosi’s name in the additional voices in Final Fantasy 7 Remake?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Former voice actress. As she stated in the very same stream, she doesn’t intend to go back.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:53 pm Reply with quote
To be fair it was 10+ years ago. What I am surprised about, though, is you focused on the casting couch aspect and left out the alleged bullying she received. Eriko Nakamura was apparently harsh with her, and Asami Imai used to pick on her, with Eriko joining in. Really disappointed with that last one since Mingosu is my kami oshi...
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
mrsatan wrote:

Yukana sleeping with the sound director if I recall? I remember hearing about that back when it first came up, but how did that accusation even begin anyways? Did someone have inside information and leaked it out or something?

EDIT: I found this post.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16911&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

To clarify further on that one, there was some sort of weird confusion with Saeko Shimizu being recast with Yukana that seemed to indicate the sound director (Sadayoshi Fujino) either lying about Shimizu's retirement or being incredibly incompetent. Although to this day it's not 100% clear what happened.

As far as I've been able to tell, the part about this being due to the sound director's relationship with Yukana is something rumored beyond that, and sounds a lot to me like an "evil woman uses man to get a role" theory concocted by fanboys. Everything I've seen seems to indicate this part is now considered to be false slander against Yukana.

The actual reason for the change hasn't ever been confirmed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2