• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You TV Anime's Teaser Highlights Newlywed Life

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
So we went from "Tonikaku Kawaii" to 'Fly me to the Moon" to "TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You" lol

The latest one definitely feels like another illogical influence from Crunchyroll. Not happy to see their name on more stuff.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Viz is releasing the manga as "Fly Me to the Moon", so this is definitely going to get awkward for brand recognition, with the English releases of the manga and anime having two totally different titles...
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
So we went from "Tonikaku Kawaii" to 'Fly me to the Moon" to "TONIKAWA: Over The Moon For You" lol

The latest one definitely feels like another illogical influence from Crunchyroll. Not happy to see their name on more stuff.

Tonikawa is just an abbreviation, and I'm assuming they couldn't use Fly Me to the Moon for legal reasons. And honestly, Over the Moon for You completely fits with the themes of the show.

Anyway, I'm incredibly happy that Crunchyroll is making this possible. Unlike Netflix, CR original actually means something, and this manga is so good. Like, it shouldn't work, but damn it, it does.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the trailer it really struck me how much the female lead is an expy of Hinagiku from Hayate. And I'm saying that as someone who's been following the manga ever since it began.
Changeman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm Reply with quote
So different from the webtoon where there is the crunchyroll seal all over the place, either on the official website or in the trailers, apparently it is different with japanese anime, at least there is not that in Tonikawa's trailer and on the official website, interesting these differences.

Tonikawa site:http://tonikawa.com/

Goh site: http://goh-anime.com/

Does anyone know why these differences? Is the participation of crunchyroll less in japanese animations? On the Tanikawa website there is a notice about the production committee at the end of the website.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how will people react at the fact that Tsukasa is 16 and Nasa 18.

Will there be twitter drama?
Will nobody care because the series is so damn vanilla it can give you diabetes?

Time will tell.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
So different from the webtoon where there is the crunchyroll seal all over the place, either on the official website or in the trailers, apparently it is different with japanese anime, at least there is not that in Tonikawa's trailer and on the official website, interesting these differences.

Does anyone know why these differences? Is the participation of crunchyroll less in japanese animations? On the Tanikawa website there is a notice about the production committee at the end of the website.

In regards to Japanese anime like this one, "Crunchyroll Originals" just means that Crunchyroll is on the production committee for the show, so they have partial ownership as part of the committee. On all of the Japanese materials, you'll usually see production being credited to the production committee as a whole, instead of the individual companies it's made up of.

I think the difference from the webtoon-based stuff is because I think those are solely produced by Crunchyroll and/or Webtoon themselves and no one else, so they can go nuts putting their logos and such wherever they want.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

Edit; Sorry, it indeed states the age on the form in chapter 3. I mistook what happened in Hata's other webcomic to have happened here. However, the later part still stands;

Also, it's implied Tsukasa is spoiler[centuries] old.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

If you're basing that info on spoiler[the marriage certificate] shown in a later chapter, then sorry but you're wrong. spoiler[That was the age of the witness written on it], go read that chapter again.

Also, it's implied Tsukasa is spoiler[centuries] old.

I did, the certificate on chapter 3 clearly says 16 years old on the part of "Wife-to-be" and chapter 4 further hammers this by the public servant asking for note of consent since she is under age, furthermore... what witness?

There is no witness.

Regarding the spoiler spoiler[I know, but, there is a reason the "Its ok, I am a 1000 year old dragon" joke exists].
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Gave the manga a shot, but ended up dropping it. The characters were alright, but the characters and story felt very safe. Whenever something major happened to them, or some hurdle showed up (significant and insignificant), the mc always had some sort of contingency, skill, or connection in place that removed any stakes. There were the occasional hints of something bigger going on, but up to the point where I dropped it, it never materialized into anything substantial. This was disappointing because I am a sucker for these types of sweet rom coms.

Might try the anime to see if I like it better animated, because it did have initial promise. Should I give the manga a second chance? Has it capitalized on the more mysterious elements, or is the story still playing it safe?
Changeman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Changeman wrote:

In regards to Japanese anime like this one, "Crunchyroll Originals" just means that Crunchyroll is on the production committee for the show, so they have partial ownership as part of the committee. On all of the Japanese materials, you'll usually see production being credited to the production committee as a whole, instead of the individual companies it's made up of.

I think the difference from the webtoon-based stuff is because I think those are solely produced by Crunchyroll and/or Webtoon themselves and no one else, so they can go nuts putting their logos and such wherever they want.

If that is true, then it is morally wrong for Crunchyroll to take all the credit in this regard with japanese productions.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

I did, the certificate on chapter 3 clearly says 16 years old on the part of "Wife-to-be" and chapter 4 further hammers this by the public servant asking for note of consent since she is under age, furthermore... what witness?

There is no witness.

Regarding the spoiler spoiler[I know, but, there is a reason the "Its ok, I am a 1000 year old dragon" joke exists].

I doubt the ages will be an issue in the US. For starters, she isn't drawn (eventually animated) as a loli, plus her presumed age is only 2 years younger than that of her husband. Most states have provisions if the couple is within a few years of each other in age even if they are on opposite sides of the legal age of consent. If he was 35 there would be more of a problem, or if she looked like she was 10 (no matter how old she was).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1