• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: hololive Virtual YouTuber Mano Aloe Apologizes For Leaking Live2D Model Before Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Yagoo gotta chill, but more importantly, people gotta chill. To think people would mix the personal stuff with business to the extent where they'd harass this girl, y'all crazy trying to justify "she lied to us", "she's not really single" like, damn, what is wrong with you?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Idol culture strikes again.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
TLDR: Watame Aloe did nothing wrong!

the comments in JP on that video are just awful. I read over 1000 of them over the last few days and it's not an understatement to say that they are majority telling her to retire.

However, the real reasons for the anger have NOTHING to do with the things in this article. And that's not your fault. Cover didn't mention it at all.

What the JP fanbase is really mad about is the fact that Mano Aloe's voice actress

1. "Revealed company policies" such as "No dating" "delete your personal game accounts" and other such things we all likely already assumed

2. she revealed the reason why a popular Nijisanji idol retired

3. They doxxed her down to her personal account where she posted sexual content such as a spoiler[ "sashimi dildo" ] and asked something along the lines of spoiler["Is true that if I become famous I can have sex with a lot of sexy men?"]. In other words she did somethings in her personal life, BEFORE she was "Mano Aloe" that some "fans" are disgusted with even though it has nothing to do with the character.

Do they really think all vtubers are pure and holy? Coco even?

#2 seems to be the big one based on the comments I read in Japanese. Nijisanji is much bigger than Cover Corp. I didn't realize this until this incident and the fans are extremely "passionate", to put it nicely. Basically "Aloe" said that Kudo Chitose retired because she was being stalked by fan.

In my opinion there's a few issues with the fanbase here. The big one being that they can't separate the character from the actress They also seem to refuse that someone among them MAY have done any wrong-doing. "Aloe" implied that she was/is friends with the woman who voiced Kudo Chitose. Her information is very likely from the source. She had no reason to lie about it to such a tiny audience. She had nothing to gain. But the Nijisanji fans that are posting on that video are saying things like "You didn't apologize for grave-stomping" and "I'll never forgive you for the lies/hoax you are spreading about Chitose!". And worst of all "kaigai just too mentally inferior. They can't help but defend something that looks cute and has a nice voice".

I can't wrap my head around their mindsets. They're even attacking the Kaigai Niki with words like "You guys just don't understand because of language barriers. What she did is unforgivable!". No, we understand lol. We just think the whole thing is insane. Personal life is personal life. And anything she did BEFORE her debut 3 days ago should be completely irrelevant, except for the test stream. And the test stream is honestly 100% her managers fault. Why would you ALLOW that? Why would you do it on TWITCAST? YouTube has a private stream feature. Hololive has dozens of YouTube accounts and they're free to make. Worst case scenario should've been "Aloe" forgetting to delete it and the manager deleting it and no one would've ever have known about it. But the manager clearly forgot to do the "manage" part of their job.

Instead of taking resposibility for their manager, they blame Mano Aloe because no one's really invested in her. If she fails, they lose little.

Anyway, as my comment on the YT video says, I really hope the US fanbase and the remaining JP fans (of which there ARE a lot, especially in the livechat...I hope she saw those! the Antis are just out in full force in the comment section) go Super Saiyan Simp for when she streams in 2 weeks. The other girls have monetization already, which is honestly record speed as far as I've seen. So Mano Aloe is losing 2 full weeks of Super Chats and ad revenue. And probably more importantly, she's losing debut momentum that is very vital.

As I said in the debut thread, she's my favorite of the new gang. They're all a blast, honestly but I really like this character and the voice fits so perfectly. The things the actress did did not harm anyone so I can't understand why anyone cares about them. And I'm really really disgusted by the people that resorted to doxxing her instead of just ignoring her existence

One of the saddest things in regards to the CHARACTER, is that the other Gen 5s haven't mentioned her on stream since the incident. Lamy had an image of the character on her chat but they've all been talking about each other and simply not mentioning "Mano-chan" anymore. I know it's because they don't want the chat to start talking about the incident but prior to this they were very "teetee" with each other

Last edited by Kougeru on Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
OtakunX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The big one being that they can't separate the character from the actress

I pretty much 100% agree with what you said but the quoted statement is something that I need to explain. The problem is, you can't keep them separate since the better hololive vtubers are a combination of themselves and their characters. If you replace Korone's actress than she is no longer Korone. This is why a lot of people stopped watching Kizuna Ai. Like, can you seriously imagine Pekora being replaced? It's not possible.

Now, to say, people go overboard with the actress' past? of course, that's the problem with having anyone be passionate about something. There are going to be a bunch of bad apples. But Cover Corp should have known about this possibility and taken it into account before hiring her. I hope she is able to continue without issue but have a feeling it wont be an easy ride.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I pretty much 100% agree with what you said but the quoted statement is something that I need to explain. The problem is, you can't keep them separate since the better hololive vtubers are a combination of themselves and their characters. If you replace Korone's actress than she is no longer Korone. This is why a lot of people stopped watching Kizuna Ai. Like, can you seriously imagine Pekora being replaced? It's not possible.

Now, to say, people go overboard with the actress' past? of course, that's the problem with having anyone be passionate about something. There are going to be a bunch of bad apples. But Cover Corp should have known about this possibility and taken it into account before hiring her. I hope she is able to continue without issue but have a feeling it wont be an easy ride.

You make a 100% valid and great point. But this is also just one aspect of the person's life. I don't see anything really harmful being said. And the sexual stuff is just silly. While "pure" girls do exist, these are adult women. You have to be 18 to audition for Hololive. I don't expect any of them to be completely "innocent". I wouldn't be surprised at all, but it's just something we shouldn't care about if it happened before the character. To begin with, we shouldn't even know about her private account. We should've never found out about the sexual posts.I hate doxxers. Someone even linked me to Himemori Luna's seiyuu's "past life" account and while it was kinda interesting it really made it harder for me to look at Luna as "Luna".

My opinion would be a bit different if she did these things after debut. But people don't even want to give her chance and are just demanding she retire. The Nijisanji thing is what most JP people seem to be complaining about and I 100% cannot understand the problem when the character has been retired for over a year and a half already. They're acting like Aloe was blaming Chitose for being stalked. Assuming it's true, Chitose was a victim! I just can't understand why they have a problem with someone pointing out the downsides of working in the industry. I think it's a good warning for some women. In the end, Aloe obviously thought the risks would still be worth all the things she complained about since she went ahead with the character. If it was like 6 months after her debut and she was saying bad things about the industry, I would understand some of the anger. Everything else I still wouldn't care about as long as "Mano" stays in character. And ironically enough, being "sexual" would be very in-character...she IS a succubus.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
That's got to be tough for her since she just debuted. I wanted to believe that Nijisanji and HoloLive differed from other Idol Agencies allowing their streamers to have more freedom and flexibility. While I am unsettled by finding out certain things about people, it would be better if they allowed the streamers to be open about themselves so you know whether you want to follow someone, but I don't know how Japanese society would react to that.

Edit: America has a cancel culture, but Asia deletes your existence.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So basically she's being punished for getting doxxed. Yep, makes absolutely all the sense.

I guess Yagoo isn't as nice and harmless as the other members make him out to be.

Anyway... just how? How can people be so set on hating and harming someone who is just debuting to doxx her? Why? How do you go from not being aware of the existente of a person to hating their guts the minute you see their name? Even the "leaks" that you could grab onto are only known because there were people that hated her enough to dig them out. How do you get there? It makes no sense to me. How fucked up are these people?
N_roxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="OtakunX"]
Kougeru wrote:

To make an addition you need to have;
18 years +.
Have experience with livestream.
Have talent in art, singing, game and etc.

All the girls have had livestreams before, a lot of people already know who they are in real life. The taboo is the fact that someone says who they are, this is the part that people cannot tolerate. This is very important for their safety as well.
N_roxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
So basically she's being punished for getting doxxed. Yep, makes absolutely all the sense.

I guess Yagoo isn't as nice and harmless as the other members make him out to be.

Anyway... just how? How can people be so set on hating and harming someone who is just debuting to doxx her? Why? How do you go from not being aware of the existente of a person to hating their guts the minute you see their name? Even the "leaks" that you could grab onto are only known because there were people that hated her enough to dig them out. How do you get there? It makes no sense to me. How fucked up are these people?

Apparently, she had a stream showing the character before the debut on youtube. In the same account on another website there was a live of her talking about the real name of another vtuber.
So, some people didn't like this attitude and it ended up causing a snowball of problems, and people even went so far as to call her house somehow.
flammie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Its pretty obvious to me that this 2 week break is not so much a punishment from Cover corp but rather having her wait for the uproar to die down. A lot of people were hating on Hololive back when Nijisanji got that Nintendo license several months ago, but it was pretty much forgotten a week later.
faboo95

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:

I think you're confusing the person's personality with their personal life. I get what you mean though, I actually had very little interest in vtubers until I recently saw a clip of Korone's and now I'm hooked! I don't know, something about her mannerisms and her sense of humour that I find so entertaining and charming. So I completely get that the person makes the character; had someone else been voicing her or if someone should ever replace her, I doubt I'd have any interest in Korone. However for the most part her personal life plays a very small part in her appeal and character. So unless we find something about her or she does/says something that affects her character or how we see her as person, I find that separating the person from the character is a simple thing to do.
VerQuality

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
flammie wrote:
Its pretty obvious to me that this 2 week break is not so much a punishment from Cover corp but rather having her wait for the uproar to die down.

This feels right, and I hope this is all it is. If it was really a big problem, they would likely have outright cancelled her. As far as momentum goes, having a swarm of antis all over her videos would likely be worse than a 2-week break, and I believe Cover does pay a base wage, so even without superchats she's not completely cut off. I hope when she returns the worst of this has blown over and she's able to continue streaming freely. She wasn't top of my list for gen 5, but she did seem like a fun character and I was looking forward to checking out some of her streams.

I really do hate it when companies force people to apologize for things that are clearly not their fault, though.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

My opinion would be a bit different if she did these things after debut. But people don't even want to give her chance and are just demanding she retire. The Nijisanji thing is what most JP people seem to be complaining about and I 100% cannot understand the problem when the character has been retired for over a year and a half already. They're acting like Aloe was blaming Chitose for being stalked. Assuming it's true, Chitose was a victim! I just can't understand why they have a problem with someone pointing out the downsides of working in the industry. I think it's a good warning for some women. In the end, Aloe obviously thought the risks would still be worth all the things she complained about since she went ahead with the character. If it was like 6 months after her debut and she was saying bad things about the industry, I would understand some of the anger. Everything else I still wouldn't care about as long as "Mano" stays in character. And ironically enough, being "sexual" would be very in-character...she IS a succubus.

It's more like they're blaming Aloe for bringing past controversy, mentioning retired vtubers especially their controversies are sort of taboo. In the case of Chitose, while Chitose as character has retired, the real person who played Chitose is still active in youtube as a singer and has found a decent success. People are afraid if Aloe's comment about Chitose will bring back the trauma and other bad publicity/rumours despite the incident has been resplved and Chitose herself has long moved on. If Aloe hadn't mentioned Nijisanji or Chitose, this wouldn't be a problem.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Virtual Youtuber creep me the heck out. But her character is so cliche looking, that leek wont do her damage. Heck, more People now gonna talk about it, so yeah "Leek".
Uokel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:

In the case of Chitose, while Chitose as character has retired, the real person who played Chitose is still active in youtube as a singer and has found a decent success. People are afraid if Aloe's comment about Chitose will bring back the trauma and other bad publicity/rumours despite the incident has been resplved and Chitose herself has long moved on. If Aloe hadn't mentioned Nijisanji or Chitose, this wouldn't be a problem.

Just to point out Chitose on her IRL twitter listed herself as the VA of the character. it wasn't any secret.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1