• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai Anime's Video Reveals Opening Song, October 3 Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
methedemon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote
are there any info on how much of the manga it will cover? I hope the end of the manga to be animated and not just repeat the same chapters the old anime did
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
This new trailer looks great. The characters are nicely hand-drawn and animated, and the CG usage is restricted to the creatures.

methedemon wrote:
are there any info on how much of the manga it will cover? I hope the end of the manga to be animated and not just repeat the same chapters the old anime did

I'm pretty confident that it will cover the whole manga, but they haven't revealed the episode count, so I hope it's not too rushed. I'd hate to see 37 volumes' worth of story squeezed into 48 episodes or less.
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
It's toei so I hope it covers the entire manga series.. I mean if they could give a super horrible Saint Seiya spinoff (Saint Seiya Omega) like 100 episodes hopefully they can do the same for this adaptation so it can finally cover the entire manga.
I think 100 episodes should be enough to cover the entire manga, which is like 37 volumes long, that would be good pace, each episode covering around 3.5 manga chapters (The manga has 349 chapters).
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
I hope this will get a subbed simulcast, and hopefully eventually a dub, unlike the classic 90’s show that never had either in NA.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:12 am Reply with quote
Why didn't they just use the Dragon Quest theme Confused ? Show looks ok though I guess.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
I got to watch the paid content of the online livestream on GYAO! streaming service this morning, and the paid portion is a digest that covers episodes 1-6 (episodes 1-10 in 1991 version) of the new anime showing parts of each of those episodes.
Kraz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Obviously it will depend on the TV rating / Bluray sold or whatever, from what I remember the first adaptation stopped when it caught up with the manga.
I'm a little afraid of Toei animation and the 2D / CG hybrid thing, but looking at the trailer so far it doesn't look bad.

I don't know if it was popular in the US, but in France it's often considered one of the best shonen manga, well, if you're in your 30s or 40s...

I have high expectation for this new adaptation, and for the games!
Piexouar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Why didn't they just use the Dragon Quest theme Confused ? Show looks ok though I guess.

You mean that one theme that makes everyone's ears bleed because of how overused it is? If so, then I'm glad they went for something original instead.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:52 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I hope this will get a subbed simulcast, and hopefully eventually a dub, unlike the classic 90’s show that never had either in NA.

I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything yet. No Crunchyroll or even Netflix. I hope it’s only because SE wants something properly “localized” and we’ll get something like what happened with the Ace Attorney anime (A choice of “original” and “localized” subs). It’d be crazy if we got a dub with British VAs ala recent games but I won’t hold my breath.

Quote:

They have to go through Sugiyama for that. The original does and it seems like this new one they’re bypassing him for an original soundtrack which I really think is for the better honestly.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Kraz wrote:
I don't know if it was popular in the US, but in France it's often considered one of the best shonen manga, well, if you're in your 30s or 40s...

The US never got the manga nor the old anime, most of it's popularity outside Japan came from Europe & the Middle East.

Cain Highwind wrote:
I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything yet. No Crunchyroll or even Netflix. I hope it’s only because SE wants something properly “localized” and we’ll get something like what happened with the Ace Attorney anime (A choice of “original” and “localized” subs). It’d be crazy if we got a dub with British VAs ala recent games but I won’t hold my breath.

I doubt Square Enix cares enough to interfere with Toei's plans for it, just like they don't care enough about the games in the west hence Nintendo publishing them on their consoles for years.

Quote:
They have to go through Sugiyama for that. The original does and it seems like this new one they’re bypassing him for an original soundtrack which I really think is for the better honestly.

Sounds about right, if I'm not mistaken, the same was done with one of the spinoff games which had the Mega Man 1 composer.
Márcio Voltz Jardim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
9:30 is not the One Piece schedule?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
^One Piece is on Sundays (Saturday nights in the US) while this is on Saturdays.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Seconded on this. I don't know if they could do British VA for this but it would be nice.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:10 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

I doubt Square Enix cares enough to interfere with Toei's plans for it, just like they don't care enough about the games in the west hence Nintendo publishing them on their consoles for years.

Well I'm not sure. I won't pretend I know how it works. I mean, yeah, I'm probably giving SE too much credit but I think they definitely have a say in the new show. The Monsters shown in the promo now look on model with Toriyama's artwork as opposed to the original. They also show monsters not in the original that were in later DQs like the Sham Hatwitches. That could be something SE pushed for. Just a theory.

You know it sucks, I feel like SE has a chance to make this popular if they play their cards right. Get it dubbed and over here. Put it on Toonami like a lot of the other SJ shows and localize the games but it's SE... And yet somehow, I'm still optimistic.

Last edited by Cain Highwind on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DranzerX13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Info of the 1991 anime's cancellation from the Japanese Dai Perfect Guide Book:
Translated by bluesun

Japanese source: https://imgur.com/a/wMPxMht

The "Dai" anime was originally planned to be extended several cours (a cour is 13 eps), but ended after a year due to the TV channel's large changes to program slots.

But, Toei Douga, the animators, and Takara, a toy sponsor, had prepared materials for beyond the Baran arc (This is the reason the final set of Daikoro included the Dragon Riders (Ryukishou)
Here we show for the first time anime settei drawings and photos of Hero Of Adventure Collection prototype moulds that never saw the light of day.
The anime and toys would have only escalated as they got further into the latter half of the series, so it's a big disappointment. It would've been great to see these on TV and in stores.

From what I was able to dig up about where the manga was on the 1991 anime's final episode.

Dai Episode 46
Air Date: 1992/09/24
Chapters used:
Chapter 88 (Up to page 16, second half of episode is anime original ending)

Manga Chapter released on 1992/09/21
Chapter 142 (WSJ 1992 Issue 40)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2