• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Steins; Science Adventure Project Announced, Steins;Gate 0 Elite Game Confirmed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:34 am Reply with quote
Bartender... More Steins; no Gate this time please.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
this cow has been milked past its death
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:49 am Reply with quote
time to milk the franchise dry
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm alone in thinking this, but Steins;Gate is NOT a franchise. The original game is very dry and boring, unlike, say, Fate/Stay Night or Saya no Uta. It very much benefitted from becoming an anime.

Basically what I'm saying is, the Steins;Gate anime was incredible. Better than the source material. The film was... fine. Not necessary, but it didn't hurt anyone. The original is easily a 9/10 while the film is a 6, maybe a low 7.

Steins;Gate 0 is a terrible series. Well, at best it's okay, but a lot of the conceit involves ruining my original interpretation of the characters and making Okabe a hopeless loser.

Basically, I don't think we need more dramatic stories. Maybe try making it a Slice of Life thing. Show these characters in melodramatic situations involving harem antics or their interests in science. I don't think we need another big epic to fail to live up to the original.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Steins;gate the visual novel came out October 2009. A masterpiece of visual novel telling, a great science fiction novel. I've played through it twice - about 70 hours for a full playthrough. The immersive phonetrigger system, fantastic art of Huke, the unparalleled music by Takeshi Abo is a tour de force; the original PC and Vita version has fantastic drawings and a unique feel. The White Fox anime adaption is a perfect anime adaption of a visual novel - the gold standard. I have also played the remake Steins;gate Elite on the Switch and it replaces the original style and drawings in favor of a almost fully animated approach so its more like hours and hours of cut scenes interspersed with static drawings. I am probably about halfway through elite - over 25 plus hours and I guess it would be technically my third playthrough of Steins;gate proper. I was a little hesitant to buy Steins;gate elite and questioned whether a third playthough is warranted so soon (about 18 months since last playthrough) but it is well worth playing again. Steins;gate Zero is an absolutely fantastic sequel and in some respects is better than the original - although the anime adaption of it is inferior compared to the original. Steins;gate: My Darling's Embrace is a 30 hour visual novel that is an absolute fantastic light airy romp - it has the best jokes and gags of the series. Almost forgot about the movie, Steins Gate: Load Region of Deja Vu, it is a touching, heartfelt, moving experience - the art is gorgeous, the voice work of Asami Imae and Rintaro himself, Mamoru Miyano is perfect. In fact I think the script of the movie is the single best thing written in the SGU (stein;gate universe).

As far as the series being done - it is only a decade old franchise. Everything has been AAA and full of careful consideration in the stewardship of the franchise. The only thing this article fails to express it what it is talking about - a live action series? a new multimedia project? a new visual novel? who knows - but i do know from news reports over the years is that the franchise is actively being worked on behind closed doors and that is good enough for me.

Last edited by joeydoa on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:16 pm; edited 5 times in total
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:25 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I don't know if I'm alone in thinking this, but Steins;Gate is NOT a franchise. The original game is very dry and boring, unlike, say, Fate/Stay Night or Saya no Uta. It very much benefitted from becoming an anime.

Basically what I'm saying is, the Steins;Gate anime was incredible. Better than the source material. The film was... fine. Not necessary, but it didn't hurt anyone. The original is easily a 9/10 while the film is a 6, maybe a low 7.

Steins;Gate 0 is a terrible series. Well, at best it's okay, but a lot of the conceit involves ruining my original interpretation of the characters and making Okabe a hopeless loser.

Basically, I don't think we need more dramatic stories. Maybe try making it a Slice of Life thing. Show these characters in melodramatic situations involving harem antics or their interests in science. I don't think we need another big epic to fail to live up to the original.
Curious, but with 0 did you read the VN or just watch the anime? I really enjoyed the VN, but the anime adaption was really subpar from what I saw of it
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
Steins;Gate 0 Elite is an... iffy prospect. The anime honestly changes and condenses so much stuff that trying to reconfigure it back into the original split routes I could see leading to a lot of awkward cuts and weird choices, and a lot of the anime's better moments weren't even in the game to begin with. Kind of a strange choice in that the anime isn't a particularly accurate adaptation so trying to rework it back into the original format sounds like a daunting prospect... especially since it's not even like the 0 anime has particularly good art to begin with.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:41 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Curious, but with 0 did you read the VN or just watch the anime? I really enjoyed the VN, but the anime adaption was really subpar from what I saw of it

Well, to be fair, I only watched the anime. Of course, I don't see the VN solving all my problems with the series. I hated that Okabe was a shadow of his former self. I mean, would he really just give up and become this type of husk so easily? I saw the OVA connecting the two shows and I have to say, this doesn't feel like it would change his entire character, a character defined by his determination and refusal to allow Mayuri or Kurisu to stay dead if there's even a slight possibility.

In my head, 0 isn't canon. If I considered it canon, it would retroactively ruin the first series for me.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:16 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Aaronrules380 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

Well, to be fair, I only watched the anime. Of course, I don't see the VN solving all my problems with the series. I hated that Okabe was a shadow of his former self. I mean, would he really just give up and become this type of husk so easily? I saw the OVA connecting the two shows and I have to say, this doesn't feel like it would change his entire character, a character defined by his determination and refusal to allow Mayuri or Kurisu to stay dead if there's even a slight possibility.

In my head, 0 isn't canon. If I considered it canon, it would retroactively ruin the first series for me.
Either u don't remem the series that well or dunno Okabe that well. Due to the events that lead up to the turning point where 0 comes into play, Okabe was shattered, crushed, he couldn't go on after what truth he discovered. The anime for 0 sadly botched so dang much, cut out an immense amount of content including down playing the violence and dangerous sitches (Unlike the OG game/anime) and tried combined all routes (Mostly poorly) into a single route, which further hurt it in the main plot area, some stuff it did get right, but I have seen and played all of S;G and i can tell u, Okabe in S;G's end was a shell of his former self at that point. The ONLY REASON he regained himself (spoiler alert) is cus of two things, Mayuri slapping him and the words she uttered, followed by a vid a himself from the future. Without seeing and hearing (and feeling that slap from Mayuri) he would have ended up on the S;G0 route, which IS canon becus without the 0 route, the true end in the OG game/anime cannot ever happen. He cannot reach S;G without these events unfolding.

If ur still saying idc, its my canon then ur contradicting ur own canon and the OG game/anime cus he DOES get that vid from himself in the future and if u think it was easy for his future self to make a come back u'r mistaken. thats one of the best parts of 0 tbh. Also, Mayuri herself wouldn't be able to do that slap and say those words to Okabe to get him back on his feet without the events of 0, I'll not say why but yeah, thats why originally she didn't slap him or say thsoe needed words, instead she did the exact opposite, Mayuri slapping him and saying thsoe words in S;G was really out of char for her and there's a dang good reason why. I near hated the 0 anime, but love the game of 0. 0's game is a master piece with only 2 faults, the anime based on the 0 game is sadly not even close.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Kind of curious what the new project might be...sequel game in the Steins;Gate worldline?
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

I wouldn't say the original game is dry and boring. What I would say is the original is extremely niche. It IS part of their science franchise, after all. So if you're already into the stuff they talk about, it comes off as really witty. I'll agree though that I don't think it works as a franchise. It's a pretty self contained story. I didn't even think that Steins;Gate Zero was very good. It really lacked all the things that made the original so tight and witty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1