• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Tops your name., Frozen to Become #3 All-Time Film in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:02 am Reply with quote
Just imagine being a mangaka and your first serialisation not only ends up in Shonen Jump but goes on to become an unprecedented hit whose adaptation becomes the single biggest box office in Japanese history, something that is unlikely to change for decades to come (if it ever does).

By this point, Koyoharu Gotouge is very likely to be a huge millionaire and very likely one of the most in demand artists in Japan.

And, honestly, I couldn't be happier. Seeing a story about kindness and mercy be that popular is just great. Seeing a story with a protagonist that can cry and openly show his love is great. Seeing a story so deeply steeped in the love for life is great.

So, yeah. Good going.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
Surpassed Mega Shinkai and I remember the legs KnNW had during its run. Won't be surprising if it ends up at #1.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
It's benefiting a lot from hitting with perfect timing, as it has limited competition since American studios have mostly or totally held back their big titles. If released under normal circumstances, it probably would have still been a hit but not do this degree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It's benefiting a lot from hitting with perfect timing, as it has limited competition since American studios have mostly or totally held back their big titles. If released under normal circumstances, it probably would have still been a hit but not do this degree.

Yeah, it is always going to have that asterisk, but it still got butts in theaters, so that's all that really matters.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Shouldn't it be the opposite? So many movies have underperformed this year and blamed their poor runs on the pandemic or other factors. To me, if there was no pandemic, the numbers would logically be even higher, not worse. The other titles like Your Name didn't really have any competition for their releases so I think it's perfectly fair to say this achievement of surpassing these films is merit, not luck.
Arowmorth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
RIP HF III Spring Song ww
Anyway not gonna lie this is impressive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1